Anyone sewing or knitting for the MDC needy moms? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 110 Old 12-03-2004, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I PM'd Gemeni about Cross stitching some bibs on the 29th, Haven't heard back from her yet.
Glad to know I'll be in good company while stitching...ladies you all are amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 110 Old 12-03-2004, 10:11 AM

I'm sewing some dipes for a mama. I hardly feel like it's "giving" since sewing diapers is so fun for me and I've almost finished sewing all the smalls I need for my babe due in March. I'm going to make an AIO or two and several fitteds.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#63 of 110 Old 12-03-2004, 12:13 PM

i'm making some hats and scarves out of acrylic along with the longies-- i've also got loads of that lying around.

this is so much fun! i should do this all the time! :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#64 of 110 Old 12-03-2004, 04:40 PM

I've been looking for fast things to knit for the 4 children in the family I'm giving to. (I call it my 'love family' cause I'm sending lots of love with my stuff!)
Theresa, I'd love a copy of your ball pattern, (I'm thinking hackey sacks for the 12 yo. Can I put beans in it???
I thought I might like to do mittens too, if you want to share that pattern as well.
I do need something FAST though. I've got so much to make before Christmas!
Also, I found this site with adorable little (free) finger puppet patterns that I think I'll make for the 2yo. in my love family. I thought someone else may like to make these for their recipients as well. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/PATTpuppers.html
My goal is to give at least one 'made with love' thing to each of the children, as well as the other necessities.
~Wendi
#65 of 110 Old 12-03-2004, 11:59 PM

Thank you all for doing this! I know those families will be overwhelmed with gratitude!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#66 of 110 Old 12-04-2004, 01:14 AM

I made kids' pouches for a couple of littles - sent them off today. I'm also including them with some other things for the people I'm sending GCs to.

I'd love that ball pattern if it's available! I'm sure I could manage that...

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#67 of 110 Old 12-04-2004, 11:51 AM

Ooh, I just remembered the "I Spy" bags that everyone was talking about a couple of weeks ago! That would be another great idea to make!
Arrgh! Hubby's vehicle has broken down, and I'm without a car! Right when I'm inspired to go to JoAnn's or AC Moore! I'll have to stick with my knitting projects for the next few days. I probably have enough yarn here at home to outfit the "Cheaper by the dozen" family!
#68 of 110 Old 12-04-2004, 03:22 PM

Yea! Gemeni pm'ed me to make a LTK soaker for a newborn...I have some lovely lamb's pride worsted in cream & dark red; I'm going to do a little fair isle snowflake pattern across the center with red ribbing at the top & cuffs. I am so dorkily excited about this! Will post a pic when done...hopefully tomorrow.

Allison
#69 of 110 Old 12-04-2004, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hooray! My Mum (professional knitter extraordinaire) just agreed to knit longies and soakers for the babies on my list...and she's going to be asking her sisters to also knit things too. I'm just so in with my mummy.

I've figured something out - the only reason that I can spin off so many knitted balls is because I'm not tempted to start all over again and rip them apart. (That's my secret shame as a knitter - I never get anything done, 'cause I'm too impatient to see the end result.) : So, the balls are just about at my knitting tolerance level. But I must say that I've been re-inspired to take up knitting again by this thread (and the arrival of my handpaintedyarn.com merino...
#70 of 110 Old 12-04-2004, 04:14 PM

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#71 of 110 Old 12-04-2004, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliwenk
Yea! Gemeni pm'ed me to make a LTK soaker for a newborn...I have some lovely lamb's pride worsted in cream & dark red; I'm going to do a little fair isle snowflake pattern across the center with red ribbing at the top & cuffs. I am so dorkily excited about this! Will post a pic when done...hopefully tomorrow.
Slightly : When you do fair isle, do you carry the contrasting thread along behind, or do you knit "over" it?

#72 of 110 Old 12-04-2004, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Slightly : When you do fair isle, do you carry the contrasting thread along behind, or do you knit "over" it?
I carry the main color in my left hand continental style (my natural knitting style) and the pattern color on my right hand British style...I never worry about over or under this way...also Elizabeth Zimmerman said it didn't matter as long as you keep the same color in each hand throughout the garment.

Allison
#73 of 110 Old 12-04-2004, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelamama
I wonder if an offer of knitting patterns would be helpful.....

Pamela, ahem, could we use ones we own for giving things away? That is kosher right?

I never thought of making some soakers or something. What an idea.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#74 of 110 Old 12-04-2004, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliwenk
I carry the main color in my left hand continental style (my natural knitting style) and the pattern color on my right hand British style...I never worry about over or under this way...also Elizabeth Zimmerman said it didn't matter as long as you keep the same color in each hand throughout the garment.
I carry and carry over with my left hand (in other words, I knit left-handed) and I've been dropping and picking up yarn with my left hand, because I can't figure out how to do anything with my right. Your way sounds much less cumbersome. :LOL I guess I need someone to teach me IRL. Okay, back to our regularly scheduled discussion-- I've finished the baby hat & scarf.

#75 of 110 Old 12-05-2004, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meco
Pamela, ahem, could we use ones we own for giving things away? That is kosher right?

I never thought of making some soakers or something. What an idea.
You're welcome to make stuff from my patterns as gifts!
#76 of 110 Old 12-05-2004, 12:23 PM

So... does anyone know how to make a pompon without the plastic rings? My son decided that mine were "wheels!" several months back and I haven't seen them all together since. :LOL

#77 of 110 Old 12-05-2004, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Listen, I just got an offer from a fashion designer..she told me she can put together some color co-ordinated scraps for a quilter. She asked if any of my needies are quilters and frankly.. I don't know if they are ... and to go and PM each one would take me forever...

I would love to take up this offer by giving it to a couple of you who might be able to make a quilt for one of our mommies....

If this is appealing to one of you quilters will you PM me.. maybe you can find your other quilters to help you...

hugs
tracy

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#78 of 110 Old 12-05-2004, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
So... does anyone know how to make a pompon without the plastic rings? My son decided that mine were "wheels!" several months back and I haven't seen them all together since. :LOL
Sure! This is how I made them in grade school for my ice skates :

Cut a piece of cardboard a little bigger than you want for the diameter of the ball. Wind yarn around the cardboard a LOT...gently pull off cardboard & tie another piece of yarn very tightly around the middle. Now it should look like an "8" from the side, cut the top and bottom of the "8"with a scissors. Fluff it up & give it a haircut 'til it's round.

Allison
#79 of 110 Old 12-06-2004, 09:30 PM

hate to brag but here is the soaker:

Fair Isle Soaker

I am so pleased with how it turned out...makes me want a babe more than ever though . It'll be out in tomorrow morning's mail, I hope it finds a nice tooshie to cover .

Allison
#80 of 110 Old 12-06-2004, 09:45 PM

That is gorgeous

I it! I want to learn fair isle/teach myself fair isle!

Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#81 of 110 Old 12-06-2004, 09:47 PM

Wow Allison! That's gorgeous! That will be one lucky tushie.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#82 of 110 Old 12-06-2004, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the head measurements earlier! I got the hat done a few days ago and came back to post a picture. (scroll down to bottom...pink hat) It is for a little california girl, so I made it in cotton. My first try at cables too, so it was really fun to do!

Somebody asked how to do pom-poms without the plastic thingies....just wrap the yarn around something a bunch of times (a cup, your hand), then ease it off the form, tie a string around it a few times to make the bulky part a bow tie type shape, pulling tight. Then, clip all the loops apart and trim it to make the strings even.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#83 of 110 Old 12-06-2004, 11:44 PM

Beeeoootiful! I'm fully impressed! How did you do that pattern without messing up the short rows in the back?
#84 of 110 Old 12-07-2004, 12:36 AM

Wow! I am so impressed with all the gifts you ladies have made!!! Y'all rock!

Joining in late....just making a few doll slings and blankets, and burp cloths....I love this thread
#85 of 110 Old 12-07-2004, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bmommy
Beeeoootiful! I'm fully impressed! How did you do that pattern without messing up the short rows in the back?
If I'm looking at it correctly, the entire pattern is finished before the short rows begin. It's so pretty, I love the red and white together. For some reason, I always think that combination is going to be jarring, but it rarely is.

Did you make that Fair Isle pattern yourself, or did you borrow it from somewhere?

#86 of 110 Old 12-07-2004, 10:48 AM

I got the pattern repeat from the wonderful new book 1000 Knitting Motifs...it's somewhere in the Norwegian patterns I think...The LTK nb soaker is perfect for fair isle because the stitch count (96) is divisible by so many numbers. I did one short row about a half inch above the motif & 2 below it.

Thank you all for the compliments it was much easier to make than I thought it was going to be.

Allison
#87 of 110 Old 12-07-2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I got the pattern repeat from the wonderful new book 1000 Knitting Motifs..
Lucky! I have been eyeing that book for months!
#88 of 110 Old 12-07-2004, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamaya
Lucky! I have been eyeing that book for months!
me too!!! I almost ordered it off of Powell's the other night, but I decided to wait until I go to the family holiday in 2 weeks in hopes my mom will decide to buy it for me

#89 of 110 Old 12-07-2004, 03:26 PM

I've been drooling over that book, too. *swoon*

:LOL

#90 of 110 Old 12-08-2004, 12:40 AM

bump

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page