Anyone sewing or knitting for the MDC needy moms? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 110 Old 11-28-2004, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=220077

for more information on this wonderful idea...

I was just thinking that if anyone else is going to be sewing/knitting/crocheting for this cause, it might be nice to share ideas, resources and patterns. Myself, I need to find nice clothing patterns for a young girl (around 5, I think. I was thinking of some of the recent Ottobre patterns - would these be appropriate to send?) and a pattern for footed sleepers. Anyone else?

Also, if anyone is willing to donate their time and energy, I have fabric and some yarn that I would be happy to send to you so that you can also participate. (A gal's only got two arms and twenty-four hours to work with...)
#2 of 110 Old 11-28-2004, 12:38 PM

I just saw that thread...thanks! I volunteered to make some dipes and a doll...maybe some clothes. I guess it depends on who I get matched with.
#3 of 110 Old 11-28-2004, 03:28 PM

I volunteered to make some diapers too. I normally wouldn't have volunteered being such a new sewer but my third diaper turned out lovely too so I'm starting to feel confident enough to help someone in need, kwim? Thanks for the link - I had no idea it was going on.

Edited to add - not more than 5 minutes later I have my match! I'm making some medium and large diapers. If you have any material you can spare to help me make these I'd gladly accept it.
#4 of 110 Old 11-28-2004, 03:35 PM

I was going to try and make some Waldorf dolls and maybe knit something if I can find the time. I would love to accept any donations, though

Can I just say, I really don't have much to spare right now, but I just think this is the greatest idea. Its really in the true spirit of Christmas, yk. It feels so much better to give than receive.
#5 of 110 Old 11-28-2004, 03:38 PM

I offered to knit a soaker or longies. The longies will have to get there after x-mas as I am buried under other x-mas projects but I could whip up a soaker on a Sat. afternoon. How could we get the word out about making stuff ?

Allison
#6 of 110 Old 11-28-2004, 03:46 PM

How about like this? Should I link to this thread too?
#7 of 110 Old 11-28-2004, 04:36 PM

Thanks for posting about this. I just found out from this thread and pm'd tracy. I said I'd make some dipes, but I'm hoping to have enough time to crochet a bag and knit three matching wool balls. Maybe I'll start today...

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#8 of 110 Old 11-28-2004, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! You ladies rock the house.

JennInSeattle - what type of diapers are you making? I can send you some PUL and elastic...I'm running low on fabric for inners, though.

Mamamaya - what kind of materials go into Waldorf dolls? Yarn? Fabric? (Never seen one irl) and thank you so much for linking to this thread in your siggy. (But, ummm - the link doesn't work...)

As for getting the word out - this thread is a good start, but does anyone go to a local SnB? Maybe your irl knitting buddies would be willing to make delicious little baby clothes. I have a copy of Minnies (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...273780-7186700) if anyone wants to try out a new pattern. I can photocopy the pattern and send it to you...LMK.
#9 of 110 Old 11-28-2004, 10:03 PM

You ladies are always so wonderful! I love sewing and crafts .
Does anyone have any ideas of some very quick projects that may be helpful??? I am buried under Christmas projects and new baby projects, but I know I can find time to complete a few small things. I have a few washcloths, etc that I have crocheted and lots of materials to make other things...any ideas??? I will also PM Gemini and ask her.
#10 of 110 Old 11-28-2004, 11:26 PM

This sounds like such a great thing to do.
I also have PUL and elastic to spare if someone has the time and wants to donate, but doesn't have the materials.
I'm going to go right now and check this out!
#11 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 02:59 AM

I wonder if an offer of knitting patterns would be helpful.....
#12 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 04:14 AM

Well my Darling Diapers pocket fitted pattern has a variation for PUL pocket diapers and I know Jayne has made them with success off of the same pattern so I'd gladly take some PUL to make the diapers with and I can never have too much elastic in seems! I use about 17 inches of elastic per diaper and plan to make 6-10 diapers for this mom. So far I already have one done. I'll pm you guys, thank you!!
#13 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 04:20 AM

I just volunteered to crochet, but I could also sew. I will pm Tracy about this.

I have some sherpa to give to the cause...also I need yarn if someone is willing to donate that to me.

This is so great!

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
#14 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and one more thing - if you are volunteering, please make sure to post a message on the original thread. I know that a lot of you are very well known and respected by MDC members (some of you even have fan clubs ), and I think that it might help some of those potential helper mamas sitting on the fence to see that you are helping in whatever way that you can. (Boy, that was one helluva run-on sentence. As a former English major - I am ashamed.) :
#15 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 12:35 PM

okay you guys..let me talk to Gemini.. she will probably be the one that needs to post here as she knows more of the details about these kind of needs.. I know some but she knows more...

hugs and thank you, SEWERS & KNITTERS!
HUGSHUGSHUGS

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#16 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 12:42 PM

I've thought about it. I have two more projects I need to complete for my family. I have lots of other yarns that I won't use for anything particularly so I might as well make some kiddie scarves and hats. Even mommy and daddy hats and scarves!

So I guess my answer is maybe

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#17 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 12:56 PM

OK--I already volunteered to help Tracy with gift certificates, and gemini with some gently used items, but this thread has my creative juices flowing.

I could make a pile of no-sew scarves from some polar fleece I have kicking around--that's quick and easy. Maybe sew a hat or two, too. I also thought I could give a few craft 'kits' for older kids to work on, like felted wool ball kit or a playsilk kit, since I have so much stuff hanging around.

Thanks for ideas, everyone!

I also have some yarn hanging around (for you knitters who are making stuff), but it's all acrylic, so it wouldn't work for soakers, but I don't know if it would be helpful for some other projects?--maybe for hats and mittens/scarves? And I think there's one half finished crochet scarf connected to one skein that maybe someone could finish. Let me know if any of that stuff will help you and I can squish it into a first class envelope and get it right out to you.

Keep this thread going...more helpers, more helpers (and please consider giving a gift certificate if you can help that way too!)
#18 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 02:51 PM

I think I will be able to swing it without any donations bluehalo. Thanks so much for offering!

I still haven't heard anything back from Gemini yet (I hear she's busy compiling all the matches) but I'm just going to go ahead and make the dolls. I found a great free pattern in the tutorials section. I also have a great rag doll pattern that my mom and I have been making for many years. So I can't wait to se who I get matched with. I'm so glad so many people are joining in. This is awesome!
#19 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 03:09 PM

I think this is a wonderful idea! Thank you so much ladies! I think anything you can make will be so well received no matter what. PM me when you figure out what you want ot make so I can match you with a mama.
#20 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelamama
I wonder if an offer of knitting patterns would be helpful.....
I don't think I've got time to knit (still working on my family's presents, and poor Aj was begging me for mittens this chilly morning!) BUT, I'd be happy to donate any of my patterns to those willing to knit them for mamas and bebes in need. Should I post on the thread linked above? I've probably even got yarn I could send along, as long as someone's willing to knit it
#21 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenail
Oh, and one more thing - if you are volunteering, please make sure to post a message on the original thread. I know that a lot of you are very well known and respected by MDC members (some of you even have fan clubs ), and I think that it might help some of those potential helper mamas sitting on the fence to see that you are helping in whatever way that you can. (Boy, that was one helluva run-on sentence. As a former English major - I am ashamed.) :
Will do! I hadn't done so but I'll go over and put it in writing - I don't know that it will help much but it can't hurt.
#22 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 07:04 PM

Jenn- If you want to get together for a sewing party, LMK!
#23 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamaya
Jenn- If you want to get together for a sewing party, LMK!
Are you kidding me? I'd love to!
#24 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade
I don't think I've got time to knit (still working on my family's presents, and poor Aj was begging me for mittens this chilly morning!) BUT, I'd be happy to donate any of my patterns to those willing to knit them for mamas and bebes in need. Should I post on the thread linked above? I've probably even got yarn I could send along, as long as someone's willing to knit it
T, I had the same thoughts... I contacted the organizer Tracy to offer patterns for knitters to make gifts.
#25 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Theresa - I think that I would really appreciate a copy of the wool ball pattern. It's quick and it uses up wool scraps (of which I have a plentitude). Thank you so much for doing this!

deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade
#26 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 10:36 PM

deb, I'm PMing you now
#27 of 110 Old 11-29-2004, 10:37 PM

If somebody could post the dimensions of little kid's heads that would be helpful to me. I am wanting to make a little hat for the 9-12 mo size kiddo I am sending some used items to and I am not sure how big that size of head is. lol. I know my gauge, so I just need # of inches to cast on and # of inches high....like how far do I need to make the tube before I start doing a bunch of ktogs? Anybody have some info on that? If you know a number of sizes, hats are something that would be quick and practical for a lot of the kids.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#28 of 110 Old 11-30-2004, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

I think the approximate sizing is:

NB - 6 months: 15 inches/40 cm
6 - 12 months: 15 - 17 inches/40 - 45 cm
12 - 18 months: 17 - 19 inches/45 - 50 cm
18 - 24 months: 18 - 20 inches/45.5 - 50.5 cm

I think that you'll probably need to knit about 10 rows (minimum) before starting to decrease your stitches. So say, maybe 6 or 7 inches of the tube, then start decreasing gradually?

HTH,
deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Z
If somebody could post the dimensions of little kid's heads that would be helpful to me. I am wanting to make a little hat for the 9-12 mo size kiddo I am sending some used items to and I am not sure how big that size of head is. lol. I know my gauge, so I just need # of inches to cast on and # of inches high....like how far do I need to make the tube before I start doing a bunch of ktogs? Anybody have some info on that? If you know a number of sizes, hats are something that would be quick and practical for a lot of the kids.
#29 of 110 Old 11-30-2004, 03:15 PM

Thank you! I hope to start casting on today!

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#30 of 110 Old 11-30-2004, 03:27 PM

Baaaaaaaaaaa, baaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Have wool, will donate!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page