making dolls for christmas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am sooo excited, i finally have all the materials to start making dolls. i have the fabric, the wool, the stockinette, tha yarn...... and the instruction book.

i cannot wait to start this weekend. i already thought of 2 people besides dd i can give dolls to for christmas.

anyone else making dolls? i'd love to see other people's. i'll make sure to post photos when i'm done.
#2 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 05:07 PM

I am making some waldorf type dolls from the free pattern in the tutorials section. I can't wait to see yours turn out! I will definitely post pics too. What pattern are you using?
#3 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

i have the kinder dolls book. i'll start with the soft dolls patterns, i'll try the limbed ones once i get the hang of how it works.

can't wait to see how they trun out!!
#4 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 05:16 PM

I am making dolls for xmas gifts this weekend too! one for ds and one for a good friends dd. they are going to be waldorf style babies. (I hope they like them!)

I am also making another doll for my mom, it is a colonial one.

and also a topsy turvy type doll for ds as well (but won't get that done this weekend)

I really need to get a copy of kinderdolls soon! I love making dolls! I made ds a fleece one and he loves it! he carries it everywhere!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 05:24 PM

A fleece doll? Could you describe it for me? I wanted to make my 2 baby nieces dolls for Christmas but I still haven't learned to operate my sewing machine. : I'd love to make my dd some kind of easy doll for her birthday in March though. She'll be 7 and still loves her "babies."

operamommy

A happy woman
#6 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 06:02 PM

here is the pattern. it's a knotted doll but I used tie dyed fleece for the body and hat.

http://www.snug-bug.com/knotteddollinstructions.html

just a tip if you use fleece though, when you cut the pattern out try to make the tips of the arms and legs longer (they need to be a bit longer to tie in a knot because of the thickness of the fleece) I screwed that part up on ds doll and didn't do that and just sewed gathers..it looks ok but I would have prefrred the knots!

#7 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 06:40 PM

I made a waldorf style doll for DS for x-mas, and plan on maing a couple more. My mom's group did this as a project...we got all the supplies from magic cabin. Here's my doll.
#8 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 07:22 PM

karlin: your doll looks great! How did you do the hair? It looks like long loops.
#9 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 07:45 PM

Thanks rainbowmoon! I've already saved that page to my favorites - they are adorable. Dd will love snuggling with one as she goes to sleep at night, and they're simple enough that I shouldn't have much a problem with them. Ummm, once my bobbin thread stops tangling every time I turn my machine on. At least I have till March!

Oh, and karlin....WOW!!

operamommy

A happy woman
#10 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 09:46 PM

Karin- sooo cute! I love it!

#11 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 10:15 PM

Thanks all! It was a kit, but it took quite a long time (it won't take nearly as long for my next doll). The hair was done kind of like a pom pom. You take a piece of cardboad with a width of about twice the length you want your curls and a length of about a foot...cut out the center enough for your sewing machine presser foot to fit. Wrap the yarn around your cardboard until it's as thick as you want your hair. Sew down the middle with your machine, then slip the yarn off of the cardboard (you may have to cut the cardboard a bit). I twisted the length of hair around to make it messy and fuller looking, and then sewed it onto the head in a spiral pattern, starting on the outside and going towards the center (using my doll needle and a length of the same colored yarn). I had to make 3 sections of hair to cover the whole head.
#12 of 74 Old 12-03-2004, 11:57 PM

I'm making dd a doll for Christmas..so far I have her head done..that's it. I have a fear of doing the body part : I'm terrified to cut out the body fabric and sew it..I suck at sewing seams..please send me some good thoughts, as I really need to get cracking at this...I'm running out of time...

Hugs,
tammy
#13 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 12:03 AM

here is the closest pic I can find of what I'm trying to make (something like this but not exact) I will probably make a bunting & hat similiar but add arm & legs.

http://www.whereswaldorf.com/Dolls/Bundle/bundle.html

#14 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 12:40 AM

Karlin... I just *love* that doll! Do you mind sharing where you got the kit? I really want to make one, but I'm starting to think that a kit would be the best way to go for me.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#15 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 01:12 AM

Karlin,
That is an adorable doll! Did you make the clothes as well?
#16 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

it's 1:52 am and i just finished my first doll! i'm quite pleased with it. it's small. it took about 2 hours to make!! i hope i get the hang of it and can make them faster!

here it is:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/anilla/dolly.jpg
#17 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 09:58 AM

My mom's group got a "family pack" from Magic Cabin. www.magiccabin.com

You can order all the stuff seperately, but this way it only cost us $17 each with the doll needle and shipping. A completed doll costs $99 from them, so it was worth it to make them.

Yes, I made the clothes too. Tha's why they are too big...lol.
#18 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 11:27 AM

anabean... That sure is a cute little doll, but are you sure you made her last night in only 2 hours? Mine took me about 9 months to grow. :LOL Very sweet picture.

Thanks Karlin!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#19 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 11:48 AM

:LOL Ana- what a cutie!

does anyone have any links to good doll making sites? I'm looking for patterns for clothes (preferrably free). everytime I do a search though there are a million to wade through

I did find this yesterday and though it's not dolls exactly I just had to share. check it out! AMAZING!
http://fadeeva.com/animals.html

#20 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 12:44 PM

Thank you for starting this thread!!! I had been dreading doing the body, cause I suck at sewing curves...but after reading that everyone was doing their dolls, I got the courage!!!! I cut out my dd's doll body fabric, sewn the arms, stuffed the arms, and am now attatching them to the shoulder! I'm VERY excited!

BTW, I have a Magic Cabin kit! I like it, but I don't have any experience w/any others

Hugs,
tammy
#21 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 03:55 PM

Anabean, I can't see your doll, but I'm sure its cute!
#22 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 08:26 PM

Ok, I have a question. When making a waldorf doll, and it says to cover the face with stockinette, what kind of stockinette do they mean? Certainly not pantyhose?

Also, if anyone would want to do a group order for Magic Cabin doll kits please let me know. I would be so in!!!
#23 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 10:28 PM

Tammy - when I sewed the doll bodies for my Magic Cabin dolls, I drew on the stitching lines with a blue washout marker - that way I only had to follow the line with the sewing machine needle, rather than worry about seam allowances. Maybe you could give that a try - it really helped a lot on the curves!
#24 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Ok, I have a question. When making a waldorf doll, and it says to cover the face with stockinette, what kind of stockinette do they mean? Certainly not pantyhose?
Cotton tubular stockinette is the stuff they use to put over an arm or leg before putting a cast on for a bone-break It's nice and stretchy, and has no seams, and comes in widths from 2" to 5". Most Waldorf doll-supply places carry it by the yard.....but you could always check with a medical supply house, or see if a hospital-employed friend could get you some from the ER
#25 of 74 Old 12-04-2004, 10:48 PM

You can probably get by with an old tshirt sewn about 1-1/2 to 2 inches wide for the stockingette...maybe two layers if you're worried it won't be thick enough?

I have two dolls to finish, but I lost all motivation!
I whipped out the faces and heads with hair within two nights, but just can't bring myself to finish! Maybe tonight I can get some bodies sewn...
#26 of 74 Old 12-05-2004, 01:04 AM

Thanks Stel! I did that, only I used a pencil..was sooo hard to see! Next time I'll use the washable marker...I couldn't find it at the time.

The Arms are sewn and I'm sewing the arms onto the shoulders! I showed dd today...she said: She's flying! and then asked where's her legs :LOL

Hugs,
tammy
#27 of 74 Old 12-05-2004, 02:50 AM

Thanks! I was using muslin for the body. Do you think it would look weird if I just left it? Otherwise I think I can tea-stain an old t-shirt. Actually, maybe I'll try that first.

I got all the stuff today, and I'm just about to get started. I went way crazy at the fabric store, got tons of fabric to make little outfits...I don't have any IRL little girls to make this kind of stuff for, so I'm just a **little** excited!
#28 of 74 Old 12-05-2004, 03:08 AM

I just finished my first doll too!

I made it for dd for Christmas & am now working on another outfit for her. I used the McCall's pattern for the Sophie Doll & am also doing this outfit. I also want to make dd a little dress in the same fabric as one of the outfits so they can match! I don't know if Ill finish all these things before Christmas though. It's too late now, but I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

I really enjoyed doing it but some of the things are so dang small!

I love the little knotted doll; I may try to make one for my niece & nephew.
#29 of 74 Old 12-05-2004, 11:08 AM

I'm just patiently waiting for my kits to get here. I just finished my first doll and gave it to a friend's little girl for her birthday....... Now, I am stalking the UPS man.
#30 of 74 Old 12-05-2004, 12:54 PM

I've been on a doll-making kick too. I made Diego one from a magic cabin kit for his birthday (I haven't given it to him yet) then I made a little one for a friend of his and I just finished a little gnome for Diego. I too got tired of making bodies for the dolls, so I've been knitting them instead. The next doll I do, I'm going to knit the legs in black and white stripes so it looks like stockings.

Jessi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page