African American Waldorf Doll Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-16-2004, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I guess I was talking too much about making Waldorf dolls for my daughters at work. Now I've got a co-worker who wants me to make an African-American doll for her daughter. I made 2 Magic Cabin 12" kits for my daughters that I'm pretty proud of. The problem is that the pictures for the brown skinned dolls seem a little off. First the hair is black - seems like dark brown is more realistic. And if I put brown eyes on brown skin will they stand out enough? Should I put white triangels next to the circular eyes? Any ideas about hair styles? This is a young girl, so I could probably do the hair one way and it would be fine. Any instructions for cornrows or dreadlocks?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
#2 of 8 Old 12-16-2004, 07:39 PM

I have bought a few kits from Joys Waldorf Dolls. I would suggest looking at her site as well as some of the other places that sell the dolls already made and see what they do. Hope that helps!
#3 of 8 Old 12-16-2004, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

The dreadlocks look interesting, but I haven't got a clue of howto make them. I guess I could purchase her book on wigs, but I was hoping someone might have some experience. Can always experiment.
#4 of 8 Old 12-17-2004, 02:30 AM

I think you can buy the dredlocks pre made, I'm not sure if its from Joy's or Weir dolls though. I suppose you could also use a thick 2 0r 3 ply wool yarn, and that would look like a dredlock too.

I am making a "mocha" skinned doll from magic cabin, and I think it looks pretty realistic. At least as realistic as a peach skinned doll, anyways. As for the eyes, I used black thread. I hadn't thought about brown.
#5 of 8 Old 12-17-2004, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Abani is darker than mocha, the skin tone brown seems right. I think her hair is more like brown or brunette. And her eyes should be brown as well. Seems like black is the pupil color. I'm just worried that if both the eyes and the skin are brown the eyes won't stand out enough. I know the faces are stylized, and I'm not trying to be overly realistic, I'm just trying to match her coloring.

Joy had the pre-made dreads, but I think I want to make her hair like I made my daughters. I used the boucle, but I'm not sure if that's right for a tightly kinked african american hair. She doesn't wear an afro - usually her hair is in braids or cornrows. Maybe I'll attach the hair at the top center part and let her mom braid it, then I could tack the braids down to the scalp. For tight braids I'm not sure if boucle or mohair would work better.

I'm pretty happy with the 12" magic cabin kits that I made, so I think I want to stick with them, though because she's younger I think I might go with the 16" kit.
#6 of 8 Old 12-17-2004, 10:15 AM

I'd think you could buy some bulky wool yarn to use as dreadlocks. That way you could have brown instead of black, too.
#7 of 8 Old 12-17-2004, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'm worried that if I just cut the ends they'll unravel. Maybe if I twist the yarn and fold it in half...If I could do that somehow on a coil. Or if I use a long/loose hairstyle and make maybe 8 small braids I could stitch them down to the scalp to make cornrows.
#8 of 8 Old 12-17-2004, 03:10 PM

I use wool all the time. It won't unravel.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page