hot/cold pack - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2004, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm making some hot/cold packs for Christmas gifts, and was wondering if it matters what kind of rice you use? I have a big bag of sweet rice in the cupboard that we don't really like. Would that work? I'm also wondering, for heating the pack, how long should it be microwaved for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 02:43 PM

I don't know what sweet rice is, but I know that instant rice isn't supposed to be used in them. The microwaving all depends on each individual microwave but I put 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on my tags just to be safe, they can always throw them in for longer if they aren't warm enough..I also put some essential oil in with my rice so that when it's warm it's got a nice scent instead of smelling like hot rice *LOL*

hth
Lacey
Old 12-18-2004, 07:38 PM

I've used all sort of different kinds of rice (generally the kinds that we don't like too I've never had sweet rice but it should be fine as long as a)its not instant and 2) its not sweet because it's covered in sugar or something like that

Kelly (35), married to DH and living happily with DD (8), DS (6), DS (3) and introducing brand new baby James b. 1/5/11, always remembering ~Joseph~ b/d March 10, 2001. 
Old 12-18-2004, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

no, it's not instant or sugary- it's just really sticky, gummy rice (bought it for sushi, but I've found brown rice works just fine and tastes better). Thanks for the input .
Old 12-19-2004, 05:11 PM

i used jasmine rice once and my cousin couldn't stand the smell it made when heated up.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I finished the packs. Here's what I've discovered:
The sweet rice has virtually no smell at all when heated up. I made 5 packs, and only had enough sweet rice to fill 3 1/2 of them, so for the other pack and a half, I used brown rice. The brown rice definately gives off a stronger smell when heated; I don't find it offensive though, just 'ricey'.
Just thought I'd share incase anyone else is making these and wondering what kind of rice to use.
Btw, I gave one to my toddler to try out and he has claimed it as his own!

User Tag List