Adding panels to regular pants to make maternity pants - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2004, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done some searches and thought I would post here, too. Does anyone have a pattern or tips for adding a panel to regular pants. I saw a bunch of old Levi's in a store that someone had cut the belly part out and sewn in a stretchy panel. But they were about $40. Wondering what type of material would work well for this and if anyone had any tips? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmlife3
I've done some searches and thought I would post here, too. Does anyone have a pattern or tips for adding a panel to regular pants. I saw a bunch of old Levi's in a store that someone had cut the belly part out and sewn in a stretchy panel. But they were about $40. Wondering what type of material would work well for this and if anyone had any tips? TIA
I used a cotton jersey I got on the remnant rack but you could use interlock as well. Also I bought 2" elastic to replace where the current belt loops are (cut that portion off).
first decide wether you want a low panel or full panel (or measure a current pair) cut desired fabric length, then i encase my elastic into it then just sew right sides together.
I found that my low roise jeans made a better fitting maternity pant.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:25 AM

I much preferred the wide waistbands to the belly panel, and it's easy to do. Get pants that will zip up under your belly, but the button won't close. Cut off the waistband right at the top of the zipper. Get 4" wide elastic as long as the circumference of that waistband you cut off plus 1" for overlap, and jersey or other knit fabric to cover it. Sew the ends of the elastic together flat, cover it with the fabric and sew the ends of the fabric to the raw waist of the pants. Quick and simple!
Old 12-20-2004, 12:10 PM

i prefer the low rise, wide eleastic maternity pants too.

but if you want to make panel fronts, i've seen maternity panel's in the notions section at Joann's. but just about any soft, strech fabric will work.

User Tag List