Soft soled shoe pattern? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2004, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish I had seen this thread before I went and ordered ds shoes!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2004, 03:58 PM

Well I cut out his shoes last night and made one of them. I did a leather bottom but fleece backs and a fleece upper. I didn't want to use two layers of fleece in the upper (it's 82 degrees here and Nana wouldn't want him to wear the shoes if they were thick fleece).

Well as the shoe neared completion I could tell that I was going to need toe re-inforcement so I put a second layer of fleece just at the toes and sewed it an inch up from the seam of the shoe so it would stay there but not be in the entire body of the shoe. Because the shoe was already put together it was pretty hard to sew that and it looks a little wonky (not too bad but a little).

I put the shoe on Nathan and it's about a 1/2 to an inch too long and the upper is too wide for the base so I'm going to cut it off and take off the re-enforcement. I think I'm going to go back to the thrift store and look for a thinner suede for the upper but leave the back that fleece I'm already using. That back looked and felt really comfortable and the elastic was the perfect tightness.

Oh and I made all of my own pattern pieces from a pair of too small Robeez so I wouldn't get the fat, short shoes from Poo Pockets but I did use their instructions. Definitely easy to do (especially if you don't have to make your own pattern pieces! .

To be continued....
Old 12-23-2004, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oh I'm loving reading this thread and following the adventures (in shoe-sewing!)... I love the idea of easy-to-sew, functional shoes. Plus, I have two friends having babies in 2005 and I'd love to give something more personalized to them!

My sewing skills... well, skills shouldn't even be used when I'm talking about my sewing I'm hoping it's simply a lack of experience, but I'd love to try out the ol' unused machine on something cute and seemingly pretty simple

Keep up with the updates! I love them!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 12-23-2004, 08:31 PM

Judy, I just found these on ebay and thought I might try do something more like that for my couple of preggo friends. I don't think it would be too hard to figure out and they're so cute. She sells a "toddler size" (though the measurements for it were way smaller than my 15 mo old's - i think he may have giant feet), but i doubt these would work very well for a walking, untying kind of baby. But if i had a nonwalker, i think he or she would have a ton of these.

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:44 PM

Here are a couple of patterns for doll shoes that are similar to those. You'd have to adjust the size of course. http://www.dollmakersite.com/makingshoes.htm
http://www.snsdolls.com/pattarch/dol...oemain.htm#top
Old 12-24-2004, 06:06 AM

Well the adventure has stalled until after the holidays when I have the energy to go find some suede..

O/T - but still sewing:

At the present time I'm making matching shorts to the shirt I made for Nathan last week. I was really discouraged by it because I followed the shirt pattern to the T and the neck came out really big. The arms were a little wavy (curly) but it was the neck that bugged me. Well today I wet it under the sink and threw it into the dryer (it's a single knit) and when it came out - low and behold the neck had shrunk up and it's perfect! Granted the arms are still a little curly but I found that endearing and not an imperfection! So - I'm inspired to make the shorts tonight so he can wear the outfit on Christmas day while he opens all his presents.

Jayne - I knew that you'd be posting Mary Jane type shoes when I saw a link! Those are so precious! For $10 it's almost less expensive to buy them in order to get such wonderful materials - don't you think? Oh and Nathan wears a solid size 6 in regular shoes if that helps you decide on whether your little guy has monster feet! :LOL

Back to the shoe talk:

I was telling my mother about all of my shoe "fun" and the changes I'd need to make - I told her I didn't know if I'd pick the pair or shoes back up or just give up on making shoes permanently. She told me not to let them get the best of me and be defeated. She encouraged me to work my way through it and that I'd be happy I had. I know that she's right - that's how I've been breastfeeding so long (and happily).

Well as I was reading posts on another board I saw this quote in someone's signature, I'd seen it before and it meant a lot to me then too:

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Now, granted courage is a big word to use when talking about sewing shoes - I'm not going to fight a war or anything but it's appropriate. Sometimes a failure (or semi-failure) scares me and I could use some courage! Whenever I read that quote I hear myself repeat the last line a few times while nodding my head, "I will try again tomorrow, yep, I will try again tomorrow" and I feel better - knowing that I can do it - I just have to try again!

Ok - the sappy post is over but I just had to share. Sewing is difficult and gratifying for me. I'm the type that likes to re-invent the wheel because I didn't know one had been made already!

Thanks for listening and helping me though this journey!
Old 12-24-2004, 06:44 AM

Jenn, I think milo's feet are the same size. Good to know he's now a freak. He has only had one pair so far, which i think he's probably outgrown already, although he's worn them only once. He HATES them! Or at least he used to. It is really time to try again.

That is a good sewing quote. I got my machine in may thinking i'd make diapers even though i had never really sewn anything before. And i made a deal with myself that i would buy the machine and fabric and stuff, but NO MORE DIAPERS. lol Scary! So, I get the machine and all the stuff and bang out two of the worst diapers you've ever seen and then the machine sits in the corner untouched for months while i worry about how i'm gonna diaper my son now that i don't buy diapers. lol Thank goodness i got my second wind. And now I'm a little more corageous with it in general. And, big step, i finally put all of milo's bought diapers up for sale. woo hoo!

okay, mil just arrived from new hampshire, gotta go!

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

User Tag List