Soft soled shoe pattern? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2004, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to have a link to a page that had instructions/pattern for making soft soled shoes similar looking to robeez. My harddrive died and I lost it and now can't seem to find the page. I think there were other free patterns and instructions for cloth diapers and the like as well. Does anybody know the page I am thinking of or know where I could find a similar soft soled shoe pattern?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 05:41 PM

http://www.poopockets.com/free/footies/footies.htm

is it these?

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

yep Thanks!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:00 AM

what're you going to make them out of? i want to make some for milo to use as shoes, but i don't want to use leather. anybody got any ideas for a cheaper readily available alternative?

J.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux
what're you going to make them out of? i want to make some for milo to use as shoes, but i don't want to use leather. anybody got any ideas for a cheaper readily available alternative?

J.
what look are you going for? Or are you just looking for durability?

How 'bout microsuede/doe-suede?

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 12-21-2004, 07:20 AM

i'm mostly concerned with durability. milo is 15 months old now and has never really worn shoes of any sort. i bought him a pair of soft soled shoes about three months ago and he hated them. i think he'd like them now (spends a lot of time putting his feet in mommy and daddy's shoes ), but the ones i got him aren't a very good design. they are open toed sandals which doesn't really work with soft shoes because the sole is soft -- hello! -- it bends, which means he trips like a drunkard when he wears them. So I'm looking for something that will be better to walk on the woodchips at the playground and still have enough traction to get up the slide, yk? i'm not too concerned with appearance, although i imagine if i really end up making him shoes, i will eventually pretty them up.

i am imagining that those suedes aren't stiff enough. i have some microsuede, which is very soft and thin, but maybe there are other thicker kinds??? is the doe-suede thicker?

J.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:15 PM

There are thicker types of suede, they make me think of upholstery. But I think you could use it for pants or jackets.
You can buy stuff called Jiffy Grip at Joann's. It's fabric with dots all over of non slip stuff. Or you can buy puff paint and paint thin strips onto the bottoms of the shoes.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:10 PM

What about denim?
Old 12-21-2004, 04:35 PM

I like denim, I had a pair of denim booties that lasted through 3 kids. They were suede on the bottom though.

What about polar fleece? I made the pattern linked for polar fleece, but I didn't worry about the bottoms cause my baby was 4 months old. Maybe the right vinyl for the bottom? I am also thinking about felting a wool sweater for shoes. I think these could be really nice.

Is your leather objection vegan, cost or what, Rubidoux?
Old 12-21-2004, 06:29 PM

i guess the reason i don't want to use leather is veganesque, lol. but i am not vegan. i just like to use animal products only where there's no alternative, and i don't like the idea of cutting into animal flesh. it's really kind of hypocritical of me. I will eat meat that is storebought but i can't stand the idea of hunting, even though the hunted animals are able to live nicer lives than the slaughtered ones. But I just can't stand thinking about it and somehow when you walk into the grocery store and buy a piece of meat, you kind of don't have to think about it too much, yk? I think i would be a vegetarian -- for the sake of the animals -- except that i'm a type I diabetic and the only way i can control my bloodsugar is by doing a very low carb diet, and i just don't have the willpower to eat nothing but tofu and veggies. So, there you have it... lol my messy reasoning.

I really like the idea of denim with jiffy grip or that fluffy paint stuff. I think they could look sharp, too. And I should be able to get denim pretty cheap at joann's i'd think. i'd probably only need like an eighth of a yard or something. Cool!

Jayne.

Old 12-21-2004, 07:49 PM

Your reasoning makes sense to me, . We all have reasons for living the way we do. I am a vegetarian for the sake of the animals, but I would eat meat if I needed to, but with appreciation for what they have given me, you know?

Denim is so durable and so neutral for boys, I think. It is a good choice. I would like to find suede for the soles myself, I think I will check thrift shops for mine. I might find some old jeans there that are large enough to work too.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:16 PM

hmm, i would feel better about thrift store leather or suede. especially if it's just for the soles, yk? and i've got some denim from a pair of jeans i cut up for a diaper that i forgot about. looks like i just might be able to do this on the cheap! i'd love to get a pair done before play group tomorrow so milo can get around comfortably.

J.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:32 PM

As if I can't make more trips for myself! I'm totally inspired by these and I think I'll go pick up a little fleece at the FabricMart and check out the thrift store for some leather/suede for the bottoms! I'd do it with jeans (and still may) but I don't feel like cutting out twice as much.

Oh and I INSIST on pictures! These look really fat and wide!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:41 PM

Anyone know of any other patterns? Maybe with a narrower fit, or a vamp that comes up higher (more like a Soft Stars or Robeez), or with more sizes? I don't care if it's free - I'd be willing to pay for something like that.
I'm thinkin' recycled felted wool sweaters with recycled leather soles
Old 12-21-2004, 08:52 PM

www.darlingdiapers.com has a soft soled pattern she sells
Old 12-21-2004, 09:12 PM

rubidoux, that's why I asked!

Jenn, the shoes from the free new conceptions pattern does run wide IMO. And it doesn't go up in size very far, my 7mo with big puppy feet has outgrown it already.

The Little Mocs pattern is still in testing phase. Amber kindly offered to let me be a tester after I posted that I couldn't find a pattern like this anywhere. I have started making her pattern from fleece to test it, but I haven't finished and I still owe her feedback . It looks like a good one though! My husband has been out of town a lot unexpectantly for his mother, and with 4 kids that is enough to do away with my sewing time. I hope to finish them up before Christmas.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:59 AM

Hey Ladies! I am pretty much just a lurker here. Pretty new. Just getting to know my way around. Saw this thought I'd post. I sell suede scraps and leather hides by the square foot. Pretty cheap prices. I also drafted my own soft shoe pattern. Here is the link to my Yahoo group. There are a few pics of my shoes there. They are made with scraps, if it makes you feel better .The animal hide was already cut into before you were thinking of shoes and why just throw the leftovers away when you could make your little one Fabulous shoes? Pieces are Big enough to get at least one (maybe two)cut from a pattern for a toddler sized shoe. Some are big enough for adult pattern cuts as well. If you order specify that you are looking for adult sized scraps. I will weed out some big pieces too!! My pattern uses about 3-5 peices depending on choice of lining. Really is a super cute shoe. I sold a whole bunch of patterns on another board and also filled about 30 orders of suede.

You can check out my feedback at Amity if you'd like. I have the same name there...

http://www.amitymama.com/vb/showthre...hreadid=196965

On EBAY I am beckys*boutique ... I have some feedback there too

Here's my yahoo group...

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe: [email protected]

Happy Holidays!
~Rebecca :2tandem ... SAHM/WAHM to two little hellions(2 and 3 YO) I say that with a lot of love!! Keep your boys in one piece!
Old 12-22-2004, 04:39 AM

well, i went to the salvation army tonight and bought three purses. one is sort of a cream color, one navy, and one is this really cool embossed brownish leather. I think "embossed" is the right term -- it's got a design sort of pressed into it. I'm thinking i'll use them the two plain ones only for soles but the embossed stuff would make a very pretty upper. woo hoo! i love thrift stores. lol i also got a few towels that i'm going to make snappiable fitteds out of. umm, like i needed another project. d'oh!

Hi Becky! (I'm milosmom on amity. )

J.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:33 AM

I went to Goodwill tonight and picked up a nice sized purse that is very natural and looks handmade.

Inside it says: Flemming's Blackpowder Supplies (with an address and phone number)

Isn't that fun? Oh and it has fringe and beads! :LOL I'm so glad I can recycle this. It's a soft but thicker leather that's soft inside - should be perfect!

Oh and I picked up some fleece for the upper as well. AND I picked up thicker sewing machine needles and hand needles in case it won't sew the layers plus heavy duty thread.

My $4 project became $11! :LOL Oh well.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:25 AM

For a place that is suppose to save me money, I sure spend a lot of money when I am at the thrift store, :LOL.

Jenn, they make sewing machine needles for leather if you find that what you have doesn't work well. They are extra sharp and pointy. That suede purse sounds lovely.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:08 PM

If I can make a suggestion, I would definitely get the leather needles prior to sewing... they have a special triangular tip that slices into the leather in a certain way so that there are not big slices, just little holes... And super thin thread also slices the leather up terribly. It will weaken the seams and they will appear to be pulling apart. nylon #69 is the best for leather and shoes...
I love sewing from old purses too! Good Luck!

Oh and if your machine gives you trouble at thick spots walk it through by turning your hand wheel and wiggling the material a little. Don't use the foot pedal while doing this. I managed to get through quite a bit this way without abusing my machine too badly! Again Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2004, 03:17 PM

I think canvas would make an excellent upper, and you can dye it to your liking!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:13 PM

OMG, you guys - go take a look at Becky's yahoo group. She's got pics of her shoes in the photo section......they're a lot narrower than the free NC pattern, the vamp comes up higher.....it's exactly what I'm looking for
I think I found a new hobby!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:38 PM

Excuse my ignorance but what's the name of Becky's Yahoo Group?
Old 12-22-2004, 11:45 PM

What about felted wool? Heavily felted wool?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:07 AM

Beckys_Suede_Leather is the yahoo group - she's got info there about the shoe pattern.

I was planning on doing heavily felted sweater wool for my experiments
Old 12-23-2004, 01:11 AM

Aawww... Thanks so much Stell. I'm so happy you like it!!
Old 12-23-2004, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox
What about felted wool? Heavily felted wool?
I was going to try that today or sometime soon. The only problem I foresee is if you have a walking baby....they would slip terribly on wool. I still plan on using leather on the bottoms. I am a veggie too...I'm using the leather from some old leather coats (think 1970's) that my dad got thrift shopping (he was going to use the leather to recover some chair or something) and he left at my house after my last garage sale...so these are old, old coats that really need some use other than going to a landfill.

For a smaller baby, I think felted wool would be awesome. I have 5 friends having babies in 2005, and this is a great idea for a blessing or shower gift. You could sew longies, a sweater, and booties...all out of an old felted sweater!
Old 12-23-2004, 12:34 PM

Oh, definitely put leather or something else non-slippery on the bottom. I'm getting some leather scraps with my pattern, and I'll probably end up using them for soles, mostly. I have so many wool sweater scraps, I'd love to be able to do something with them!
Old 12-23-2004, 03:00 PM

The first pair of baby shoes I made didn't have leather bottoms. I used fleece on the bottom and planned to paint them with puffy paint as someone earlier had also suggested, but I cannot find puffy paint ANYWHERE! I ended up using "dimentional" fabric paint and had to paint two or three layers because it kept drying up and just getting absorbed into the fleece, and they're still a little slippery on the bottoms so we just use them when DS isn't going to be walking or standing (like in the stroller or carseat). I now have some bits of scrap leather for bottoms and that works much better- be sure to get thin leather, like upholstery weight or clothing weight, the thick cowhide stuff can get really really thick and hard and just doesn't work for baby shoes (much less my sewing machine ).

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).

User Tag List