Sewing baby boots - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-24-2004, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's another thread all about sewing your own baby shoes that is very interesting, but I want to know has anyone tried making baby BOOTS?

I know Robeez has a pair of baby boots that I think are a fleece lined leather, kind of like little high top shoes, but I know a couple of people who have tried them and they don't stay on the baby's foot.

I have made some baby shoes that work great, but when I make them go over the ankle, for some reason they don't stay on any more. Grrrrr. I have elastic around the ankle and everything.

Has anyone tried making baby boots with any success? How do you get them to stay on???

Thanks!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#2 of 7 Old 12-25-2004, 10:38 AM

I have two pairs of fleece baby booties that I've bought. The first pair, which I bought on vacation in Nova Scotia and were made by a craftsman up there, are freakin' adorable but just don't stay on. But the other pair, also bought on vacation in NYC stay on really well. I'm thinking of trying to trace a pattern off of them to make them in a new size, as Anika outgrew them in weeks. The brand of the ones that fit was Little E.D.A.
#3 of 7 Old 12-26-2004, 04:36 AM

The only baby boots I've made were for a walker-age baby. I used a tracing of the foot for the sole pattern, so the boot was quite snug-fitting (I made it out of felted sweater, so there was still some give), and I think that was what kept it on. Trouble is, I didn't have any leather for the sole, so they were too slippery to wear much of anywhere But basically, it was just a sole, and two boot-shaped pieces seamed up the center front & back & attached to the sole. I was trying to copy a pair that a LLL friend bought in Germany for her daughter - they were felted wool with a decorative woven-trim ribbon sewn up the back seam to make a pull-on loop. No elastic anywhere.
#4 of 7 Old 12-26-2004, 01:02 PM

http://www.gfwsheep.com/flatfelt/flatfelt3.html
Maybe you could make these with some sort of drawcord or elastic??
#5 of 7 Old 12-27-2004, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I am still staying up late at night sewing- driving myself nutty with all my fleece- trying to find a boot pattern that stays put! Those sheepskin booties above are really cute, but I know those wouldn't stay on, DS' foot would slip right out. He's a crawler and it seems no matter where the elastic is, the boots still come off.

My best pattern so far is just like a robeez shoe but the back/heel part comes up over the ankle and snaps across the front, so they're like a hightop shoe. When I make shoes from the same pattern, they stay on great, but for some reason the hightop part makes them come off easier- I am totally clueless why this is, seems like it should be just the opposite.

I am now thinking if I find some way to get the baby's foot in easily but have a lace-up or snap-up top that is very snug fitting all around, maybe that will stay on. Baffling. The hard part is trying to get a boot that I can get on his little feet, but something that doesn't come off. I had one that was almost impossible put on, but once it was there, it stayed. Why is this so difficult?

So here I am, baffled, but still trying to figure it out. Maybe by next winter...

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#6 of 7 Old 12-28-2004, 01:21 AM

Here's a thought. Use a bit more leather, but a thought. What about a boot like this: bottom similar to a robeez or softstar with a tongue that goes above the ankle, then rather than hightop style top, a top that goes to the knee and snaps or velcros on snugly, sort of like knee-length boots for moms?

Also, for $20 these http://www.minnetonkamocc.com/viewProduct/StyleID/48 are great up to size 6.
#7 of 7 Old 12-28-2004, 03:07 PM

I'm thinking velcro around the ankle? I'm just looking at dd boots and they open up wide to get her foot in easily but with a velcro loop thing to tighten them up.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page