Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Arts & Crafts (http://www.mothering.com/forum/66-arts-crafts/)
-   -   When can you teach a child to knit? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/66-arts-crafts/230068-when-can-you-teach-child-knit.html)

MangoMamma 12-27-2004 12:31 PM

My 3.5 dd is starting to like doing crafts. When can I start teaching her how to knit or crochet. I'm a beginner too so maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself.

Knittin' in the Shade 12-27-2004 12:33 PM

I taught my (now 5.5) year old when he was about 3 - 3.5. We started with finger knitting, then spool knitting, and he moved to real sticks and string (what he calls needles and yarn, LOL) when he was about 4.5, I think. You just have to have LOTS of patience

Jenmama 12-27-2004 07:35 PM

I was going to suggest the finger knitting, too. In Waldorf schools, they beging with finger knitting around kindergarten and start knitting in first or second grade. After knitting they start crochetting.

Ellien C 12-27-2004 07:46 PM

I think finger knitting as early as 4. I know that in the middle ages, girls as young as 4 could use a drop spindle. I don't think you're getting ahead of yourself, as long as your knot attached to the outcome. My 2 year old got an embroidery hoop with thread and needle for christmas. She can stick the needle in and pull it out. Sometimes she doesn't pull the thread all the way and leaves a loop though.

khrisday 12-27-2004 08:16 PM

I woudl stick with fingerknitting with one so little. I taught both my dd and my nephew to knit at 5.

dingosmate 01-02-2005 09:32 PM

Hi, I'm fairly new here, and I'm interested in teaching my 3yo finger knitting. I myself don't know how to kint, so I will be learning with him. Could some of you recommend a website that teaches finger knitting?

Lexi

lorijds 01-04-2005 01:41 AM

I have not found the patience to teach my then 7 year old to knit; she just couldn't get it. However, I found teaching her to crochet much easier; she picked it up very quickly. Now she is knitting with "Knifty Knitters". I figure she'll work with these for a while, then go on to knitting with needles.

I think with crocheting, there is simply one less thing to have to hold onto and manage. With the knifty knitters, since it is a loom sort of thing, it is easy for the child to hold, and it really does make some neat projects.

As I get better at knitting, I think I will be better able to help her learn to knit. When I was teaching her before, I wasn't so great at it myself, and I think I was frustrated with both of us. Now that she has a little more hand dexterity, and I have a little more experience, I'm interested in trying again. I also think I need to pick a time that I am not in the middle of four different projects. The first time I tried to teach her to knit, it was right before Christmas, when I was trying to get all of my last minute projects done. Maybe right *after* the holidays is a better time!

tboroson 01-04-2005 02:34 AM

I've taught 4 year olds to spin with a drop spindle... and they became better than me *very* quickly. Young children are well equipt to learn intricate tasks. There are illustrations of very young children making intricate bobbin laces from the 17th century. So, I'd say, as soon as your kiddo has the mindset to pay attention to you and want to try, which may well be right now. I think my friend's son had such attention for and interest in detailed, fidgity things that I could have taught him at 3. My own daughter gets frustrated too easily, so I'll probably hold off a little longer, unless she asks.