Advice on buying a sewing machine needed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-18-2001, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finally, i should say, i'm going to get a sewing machine --- but feel a little confused on what to look for. I know i want one that is sturdy yet simple, and versatile enough to use for making clothes, some quilting, crafts etc. And i hope to be using it quite regularly (lets see what my dear toddler says about that..)I would love to have a serger - but sewing machine seems a bit more useful.
Hmmm.. so any advice from you crafty ladies?
#2 of 5 Old 12-18-2001, 11:14 AM

Many sewing machines have a serge feature that works well for a lot of projects. It's not as nice as an actual serger, but I would make sure my sewing machien had it if I was buying it new!

I like teh decorative stiches. They are a lot of fun for many different things too!

I think I have a singer. I don't even know! LOL It was my moms and she gave it to me to use. She is using my grandmother's Kenmore machine.
#3 of 5 Old 12-18-2001, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks LaLa! I didn't even know there was serger/sewing machines.. something to look out for!
#4 of 5 Old 12-26-2001, 02:51 AM

Before kids, I was a professional costumer. We never had fancy machines in the costume shops I worked in--mostly old home ec. models, industrial machines and industrial sergers.

Now, I don't do it professionally, but I still sew often. I have a 40 year old Elna, a 3 thread Singer serger, and an old black Singer that is so old it doesn't even zig-zag or go backwards. It is a real work horse though.

When I was in college, we had to make these costumes that had layers of canvas in them. I remember that we couldn't even sew through them with the industrial machines, but those little black Singers did the job.

So my reccommendation would be to find and old one (all metal is better than plastic) at a second hand store, and then get it tuned up at a sewing machine repair shop.

Once when I still ran a costume shop, I was talking to the guy who was fixing our machines, and he said the ones with the computers broke down more, and were harder and more expensive to fix.
#5 of 5 Old 12-26-2001, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks 3girls1boy! Exactly what i needed to hear.. amazing isn't it how things are not made to last nowadays! And i certainly would like one that i can count the rest of my life.. maybe one of those black Singers from my grandmother!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page