Crochet Anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-18-2001, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Want to share your favorite websites? Anyone have baby sweater or hat patterns online to share??
Mary Lu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 12-18-2001, 11:57 PM

I crochet - but haven't done it in a long time and I would love if someone could point the way to some good sites!
#3 of 20 Old 12-19-2001, 12:22 AM

I crochet, lots! I have been into thread crochet for the last couple of years, it's much more portable. Last year I started a cardigan sweater for a friend, and got the front panels, back panel, one sleeve done, and then pooped out. I can't imagine how I'm going to get the sleeves to fit it right! I'm always starting projects I don't finish...

Anyway, here's a great website

http://www.freepatterns.com/
#4 of 20 Old 12-19-2001, 12:42 AM

I love to crochet, but I'm busy with some other projects right now! Also, I have found that large-scale projects just take me forever and I never finish them because I do it slowly (just like I smock slowly and knit REALLY slowly). On the other hand, I can whip out a pair of baby booties (my own design) in about an hour, and I love to design those tree snowflakes. I grew up crocheting those frilly dresses for dolls that look like flamenco dresses (bright colors, standing frills). I only learned to follow a pattern recently though--a couple of years ago. Having said all that, I'm working on an afghan (very slowly) that I don't have to think about (easy stitch) for our sofa. It's great for dead mind itchy hands times. Maybe I'll finish it by next year.

Also, I've found I have to take it easy with thread crochet b/c my hands get too achy and sore with tiny thread gauge. Bedspread weight is the best weight (and the biggest).
#5 of 20 Old 12-30-2001, 06:19 AM

I can crochet, but I can only do one stitch I think it's a half double (??) Basically you pull a loop thru the next hole, to give you two loops, then pull a loop thru both of these to get you back to one loop. I cannot read crochet patterns to save my life. Shocking I know, but I make bags out of hemp string & out of strips of T-shirt material which I actually manage to sell & barter for stuff. The strips of T-shirt material are the best coz they come in all sorts of colours, plus I dye them so I have rainbow bags, rasta bags, blue sea bags..... I'd love to be able to understand a crochet pattern since I have a book of awesome crochet bikini patterns. What I really like about crochet is you can do it when the kids are awake & can throw it on the floor at a split seconds notice without any major damage.

There is a very interesting web site of crochet patterns at www.groovycrochet.com too.
#6 of 20 Old 01-20-2002, 12:00 AM

I just taught myself tonight!!!
I am so freakin' proud of myself. I bought this goofy looking kit with a bunch of hooks and instructions, and I can actually do it.
I am entertaining myself tonight my working in rounds and seeing if I can follow the pattern close enough to make a hat.
As far as the pattern instructions go, I feel like I am learning a new language.
I am so excited to have a new skill. Yeah me!
#7 of 20 Old 02-04-2002, 12:44 AM

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/links.html

I LOVE this site!!! There are thousands of patterns archived, but they are really easy to find. It is organized super well by category. New patterns vintage patterns as far back as the late 1800's!! When a new pattern is posted it is noted, so you know if there are new cool thangs. Also, there are links to info, crochet groups, suppliers etc. HIGHLY RECC. this site! Run don't walk!
#8 of 20 Old 06-08-2002, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to find some vintage patterns to crochet dresses for my dd this summer (2t-3t) with some lite weight organic yarn. She is actually wearing size 24 months , I am always an optimist BUT if I don't finish this summer they will still fit next year , right Also I am starting to make some of those cool pony ties like I used to wear in the 70s in So. CA. What is your work in progress these days? Any freebies online to share or sites to trade patterns?
Peace to all,
Mary
#9 of 20 Old 06-09-2002, 04:31 AM

I'm in the midst of knitting Saffron a stripey textured hooded jacket out of all my odds & ends of wool. A bit like a textured Kaffe Fasset only far cooler Then I'm planning to crochet her a rainbow rag rug for her bedroom floor.

There is an organic wool supplier here in New Zealand called treliske something I think that sell mainly to the US & on the net. I'm not sure the url but image if you search on treliske & organic wool it will most likely come up. Else PM me & I can find out if you want.
#10 of 20 Old 06-09-2002, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!! Have you ever tried to crochet soaker training pants?
#11 of 20 Old 06-09-2002, 03:51 PM

No sorry. I can only crochet things like bags & hats that are round the rug is going to be a whole new experience!

I found the organic wool site also. it is http://www.nzsouth.co.nz/treliske/
#12 of 20 Old 06-10-2002, 09:22 PM

I have been trying to learn to crochet for forever (okay, each pregnancy I've tried for one week). What gets me is I can't seem to make stitches that are even vaguely even.

Is there a preferred thickness of yarn that you should start with? I've got a how-to book but that's not in there ...

- Amy
#13 of 20 Old 06-10-2002, 09:36 PM

I found it easiest to learn on strips of T-shirt material. That way what I was making ( a bag ) grew quickly & I could see the results of increasing or decreasing a stitch in my round immediately. after that I moved onto hemp. I still can't understand a crochet pattern to save my life & can only crochet hats & bags but I am planning to branch out. I've seen a good book I wouldn;t mind looking at if I ca n find it locally. It's called "how to crochet" by pauline turner & is supposedly the definitive crochet course. It is rather unfortunately about $60NZ without postage so it's a bit out of my price league. If I can't get my local library to order it, I may ask my Mum nicely next time I speak to her to get it for me coz she lives in ngland & it;s an English book.
#14 of 20 Old 06-10-2002, 10:57 PM

Oceanmama, forgive me for being dense, but do you mean by "strips of t-shirt material" just ripping an old one into thin strips? Really?

:

- Amy
#15 of 20 Old 06-10-2002, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a basic how to page for crochet w/ some good info I like~
http://crafts.info-galaxy.com/crochet/

I am going to make my dh a red white and blue diet pepsi hat for the 4th of july~
http://members.tripod.com/CarolynMurphy/canhat1.html

I am really curious about how thick the t shirt fabric strips would be that sounds like a great way to reuse old soft shirts.
Mary
#16 of 20 Old 06-10-2002, 11:14 PM

I think that's essentially what they are. Garden centres over here sell them in balls as string to use to tie up your plants. Some charity that provides work for handicapped people I think does them so they come in random colours. I think they're the off cuts from the big bales of the T-shirt materials used in factories maybe. The ones I could get varied a bit in width but were all approx 3mm wide maybe & were I s'pose folded into 3 so the ends were folded in on themselves kwim ?
#17 of 20 Old 06-10-2002, 11:27 PM

forgot to say I saw a pattern on the net once for a bag & a different one for a pair of sandles made out of plastic bags. I found them using google. I'm sure these would also be good projects to begin with coz there's no outlay on the materials & they will be quick to make. I can look for the patterns later on this evening if you like ?
#18 of 20 Old 06-17-2002, 04:54 PM

yea crochet! I only know a couple stiches too and usually only make hats. I tried some mittens over the winter....got one done! Couldn't really figure the patten out, but winged it. This site has some cute stuff:

www.lionsbrand.com
#19 of 20 Old 06-22-2002, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

I found two neat sites with patterns for crochet~

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/cancercaps.html

http://www.craftown.com/baby/pat6.htm

I have been busy hunting online for free patterns and there is so much out there. It is really wonderful to see the sites with hats to make for people in the armed services, cancer caps, teddys for the kids hospital, even I saw dog blankies and sweators for the homeless doggies. Now I am really going to have to get busy and dig out all the yarn from under the bed.
#20 of 20 Old 07-17-2002, 05:16 AM

I'm so excited. The how to crochet book by pauline turner I ordered from the library has finally arrived. it looks really good. it's got lots of pictures. you can do 16 projects & each has a stitch library. maybe finally I will be able to understand a crochet pattern !!!! I've almost finished my rag rug so I'm gonna start on the basic string bag from the book after that with some hemp string I've got lying around

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page