Knitting or Crocheting??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2005, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to learn how to knit or crochet but I'm not sure what the differences are. :

Any pointers, is one easier to learn then the other? Which one is more versatile in the types of things you can make?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 07:50 PM

Which is easier really just depends on you. I learned to crochet when I was young and only learned to knit about 5 years ago. I think knitting requires more hand dexterity, but you don't have to look for the stitches, since they're right there on the needle. With crochet I think making the stitches is easier, but sometimes it can be hard to locate where to insert the hook. Crochet is really great for trim, tablecloths, blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals to name a few things. You can do all of those things with knitting too though. And, since knitting tends to drape better (because the stitches are less dense), I think it makes for better clothing. I love knowing how to do both, because there's definitely times when I want to use crochet for something, but I think knitting is a better skill to have IMO. HTH.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:01 PM

Knitting and crocheting are as simple or as complex as you want them to be...Since you do not even know the difference between the 2 crafts perhaps a trip to the library (or to google) is in order? The differences between the 2 are far too extensive to enumerate here.

That said, I can do both and far prefer knitting. You can do anything with knitting that you can do with crochet. And I happen to think that most crochet (except for lace) has a "dorky" quality that I do not care for. (Just my opinion...I'm sure many of you here crochet lovely things :LOL.) Also, I find knitting to be more of a challenge, both technically and creatively.

Good luck!
Allison
Old 01-12-2005, 08:47 PM

I am new to both. I learned how to crochet first because a few years back I was teaching myself to knit and I got a huge cyst on my wrist and was in pain from my tendonitis. Crochet did not give me this problem. I have found that crocheting goes a lot quicker but uses more yarn. I also think crochet is also limited in its characteristics. Sure you can crochet a sweater but a knitted one would be much more soft and cozier and i think it looks better and less granny. :LOL That's just my opinion, of course.

I am now teaching myself to knit and I have learned there are many different ways to carry the needles and that I can use circular needles for anything. I have had no problems with my wrists since finding a good way to manage my needles and yarn. I only mention this because I know there are others out there with hand/wrist problems.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!

How hard is it to teach yourself how to knit? Do you think it would be better to take a class?

I'm artistic and good with my hands but I don't know if I need to see someone do it in person to "get" it.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:14 PM

There is a great online site where you can just sit and learn, it's great!

http://stitchguide.com/
Old 01-18-2005, 09:03 PM

the above seems like a great site. I'm just learning to knit-I got a "dummies" book for knitting and crochet, and was able to learn the basics from the book.
I think the advantage of a class is that you have someone to look over your shoulder and give you pointers. I just have no ability to take a class so I worked through the book-it took me a few days to get the hang of it--but not really that long.
dd is really excited that I'm learning and we're working on a project she started with mil.

User Tag List