So what's on your needles right now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 01-22-2005, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or crochet hook, or sewing machine, craft table, whatever. Basically, I thought it would be fun to hear about everyones current projects!

I get bored easily, so I have several going at once. And I'm fairly new to anything but garter stitch, so they are all really simple, but man, I'm having fun!

1.) A scarf for dh, about half done. Lion Brand Homespun, in alternating blocks of charcoal and hunter green. I work on this one when I just wanna zone out because it's just garter stitch. All I have to do is remember to switch colors every 6 inches.

2.) Baby blanket for ds, about a quarter done. I started it for my newborn cousin, but it turned out to be too scratchy for a little bitty baby. It's too pretty to scrap though, so I'm gonna make it ds's car and wagon blanket.

3.) Same style of baby blanket for the aforementioned newborn cousin, just in a softer yarn. I'm gonna hate to give this one up, it's SO pretty. (TLC Essentials yarn, a varigated called "Oasis", it's got blue, and tan and olive green and off white.)

And I'm trying not to start #4 til I get at least one of these finished, but I went to my mom's friend's yarn store today and picked up some really pretty, really soft, wool/acrylic blend yarn in pink and purple to make myself an afghan. It's calling me! In 10 yrs of knitting, I have made exactly ONE thing for myself, and I can't wait to get started on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 58 Old 01-22-2005, 10:22 PM

A better question is, "What's not on your needles?" :LOL I have tons of UFOs (unfinished objects). Two Old Shale lace pattern scarfs, one in alpaca, one in a wool/silk blend; one poncho for moi in Homespun; one cabled scarf; one short-sleeved sweater in a groovy funky Lion Brand color called Galaxy; just finished a baby blanket in Jiffy (hated that stupid blanket by the end); a zip-up sweater for dd that was going to be a hat for dh but it was too big...gonna modify it for dd; and probably several other things that I"m forgetting! I just finished my Fiber Trend felted clogs; I knitted them both at the same time so that I would actually finish them. I'm forcing myself to finish a few projects before I start on some socks out of Wool-Ease...I've also got some unfinished sewing. Ack. Aprons for mom and mom-in-law and curtains for our bedroom. Sheesh. I'd better get to knittin'

Perdita, wife to J, mom to Bridget (6), Ivy (4) Trace (2) and Fiona, my 3rd vbac baby, born 12/2/09!
#3 of 58 Old 01-22-2005, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

hehe! My list is only what I've already started, or bought yarn for. I've got SO much more planned. For next Christmas, an alpaca scarf for my dad (the yarn store lady promised to give me a cool pattern when I come back for the yarn), matching ponchos for me, my mom, and dd (My mom made us matching ponchos when I was a baby, but ended up getting rid of them a couple years ago when she cleaned out the basement, and now that they are back "in", she's upset about that). I also wanna make mittens for the kids. Ds's hands get SO cold and he gets really mad about it, and the little fleece mittens from Target aren't cutting it. Gonna need some wool or maybe alpaca. Then once I get better at this, and learn even more stitches.....sweaters! Sweaters for everyone!!!! LOL
#4 of 58 Old 01-22-2005, 11:24 PM

I am trying to make just one thing at a time to avoid lots of floating UFOs around the house.

Right now I am making a wavy scarf in Cascade 220 #8886 (nice deep purple).

I just got a couple of new books, Stitch N Bitch and Knit Baby Head and Toes, a couple of new patterns and 12 skiens of Peace Fleece though so I really itching to start something new!
#5 of 58 Old 01-22-2005, 11:36 PM

http://people.delphiforums.com/knit_...tedslipper.htm

felted slippers for me! i just scored 2 huge bags of free wool! i think my next project might be a felted bag. it's so nice to work with real wool my last few projects were acrylic due to budget constraints.

heartbeat.gif

#6 of 58 Old 01-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Banned

1. knitted organic wool longies
2. crocheted organic wool longies
3. Knitted wool scarf on size 19 needles really funky
4. One giant load of organic diapers
5. Organic wool covers
6. Organic towels
7. and soon to overwelhm me organic sheets, 4 sets
#7 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 12:39 AM

I am actually knitting something for myself for a change. It's the clapotis, from Knitty. Here's my most recent WIP pic (from this afternoon, I've gotten so much doen today with the blizzard, yippee!) Clapotis And another, closer up Clapotis close-up

I am loving this pattern, and I know I'll be knitting another one of these for MIl becuase she was fondling the yarn last weekend, LOL!
#8 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 01:03 AM

I'm halfway done w/ my first soaker in the round. The join isn't as tight as I'd like, but I learn by screwing up, lol. I've been doing gauge swatches forever to start LTK mocs. I now know that I *cannot* obtain it w/ LB fisherman's. Wish I could, as I have lots, but I can't. I got some Fabriconnection yarn in a trade that finally worked out on 11s. Now I just have to overdye it b/c it's a bit pastel for my taste. I'm also going to sew elastic into my cpf's (if I can find the lastin I had an hour ago that has now vanished )

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#9 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 01:05 AM

uumm Lets see-
I taught myself to cast on last night so I guess im going to learn the knit stitch tom and if it goes well I guess I will have the begining of something :
I have some sherpa that I got yesterday and Im looking to make a few diapers this week
I did 5 pages of scrapbooking tonight being that we are stuck in the house with all the snow

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#10 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like a lot of people are getting more done because of the bad weather. LOL And even though we only got a dusting of snow here, I'm getting more than expected done too. Why? Because Pittsburgh, which is where I was supposed to be this weekend, got dumped with snow. Blah.

Shelly, good luck with learning the knit stitch. I found it pretty easy, so hopefully it will be for you too! Well, learning the basic stitch was easy. Learning to knit faster than a snail wasn't. LOL
#11 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 02:16 AM

Thank you!! I hope its easy for me too I want to knit soakers for my DD sooo bad!!

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#12 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 02:32 AM

Gads....lots of stuff

-3 pairs of socks...about to co for another for my dad's b-day
-huge circular shawl in scrumptious blue Lorna's Lace Helen's Lace
-pair of fair isle mittens (only just started)
-sweater for dh (just started the first sleeve)
-knitty's fuzzy feet for dh
-boring chenille wash cloth
-funky bias scarf in hot pink Crystal Palace squiggle & fizz
-knitty's banff sweater for me - all seamed up, I just have to knit up the neck

Theres more languishing at the bottom of my knitting basket...some of it's on my blog...

Knittin' in the shade: I just got yarn in (fabulous pink & purple Koigu) for my own clapotis!
#13 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 03:40 AM

wow... you're all so cool. I can't wait until i can make something more exciting, like a coltis (or whatever that french thing was )! I'm making a potholder right now. I've never knit anything before, and I like the potholder. BUT its on sz. 7 needles with 3 strands of cotton yarn and it KILLS my hands!!!! One Hour Potholder my a#$ (thanks a lot lion brand!)! I have to make myself stop sometimes b/c my fingers stop functioning properly.

I just want to knit cool stuff so bad! Like soakers and ponchos and socks... just keep knitting just keep knittting knitting knitting just keep knitting!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#14 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmomma
Thank you!! I hope its easy for me too I want to knit soakers for my DD sooo bad!!
My son's soaker was my first knitting project You can do it I had to rip mine out several times & ask for lots of help but that's just par for the course when you're learning Just don't be afraid to ask and trust your instincts on if something looks wrong

ON my needles as of this morning is a hat that I am knitting up for charity. Its almost done I like hats b/c they're simple & easy (no brainer for me on this particular one anyways).

And I just re-started the LTK Ear warmer hat about 35 minutes ago almost done with the short rows yippee But had to stop b/c DS woke up screaming so we're nak in the dark
#15 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 08:48 AM

I just finished my fisrt project! It was a hat for DD. Knit flat. I screwed up a lot but it looks ok and actually fits. I just need to make pompoms for it. I sort of made it up as I went along and it was a good practice piece.

Tonight I am starting some matching booties and will soon be casting on for a scarf for me and a hat for DS.

If I can finish those project relatively problem free I will be attempting some soaker shorts for DD, probably from the Wooly Wonder. I am secretly hoping Pam will have a class for shorts soon

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#16 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 11:02 AM

1. Scarf for ds - seed stitch all the way, baby. In handdyed merino in lovely shades of blue.
2,3,4. Thrummed mittens for me, dh and my sil a la Yarn Harlot - http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/thrumfaq.html 'cause it's fricken cold here, people.
5. Socks for ds - wooly wooly goodness for stomping around the house.
6. Too many diapers to mention.
#17 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelocks
wow... you're all so cool. I can't wait until i can make something more exciting, like a coltis (or whatever that french thing was )! I'm making a potholder right now. I've never knit anything before, and I like the potholder. BUT its on sz. 7 needles with 3 strands of cotton yarn and it KILLS my hands!!!! One Hour Potholder my a#$ (thanks a lot lion brand!)! I have to make myself stop sometimes b/c my fingers stop functioning properly.

I just want to knit cool stuff so bad! Like soakers and ponchos and socks... just keep knitting just keep knittting knitting knitting just keep knitting!
Don't worry - your knitting calluses will soon form and your hands will soon learn to assume the position. Seriously, it gets easier with time. One tip, though - relax. If you relax your grip on the needles and relax your grip on the yarn, knitting will likely be easier on your hands.
#18 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 11:59 AM

many, many UFOs.

A wrap shawl/poncho i'm working on for my sister's birthday (thank goodness it's in april!)

dishcloths

some chenille washclothes for wipes for the new babe

and .. half of a pair of mary jane slippers.
#19 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 PM

I just finished 6 soakers for ds2 and new baby, made myself a felted bag, dyed 6 skeins of bartlett wool, and now am knitting mittens for ds1. We've had an extremly bust weekend and have not had much time where i could knit, so alot was finished in the car.
#20 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 12:21 PM

Ive got a poncho going that was supposed to be for the kids but its huge so I think Im stealing it! A few squares for a baby blanket for a friend of mine, our knitting group are all putting in a few... Im about to start a nice black hat with Rowan Yarn, hmmmm., yummy.
#21 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 12:27 PM

Just a hat for my oldest dd. I try to only start one thing at a time, otherwise the "unfinished-ness" of everything would drive me crazy. I do have yarn for about 10 other projects, though!
#22 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 12:34 PM

Just finished an earwarmer hat for DH and am making one for myself now out of really soft handpaintedyarn.com red java merino. After that it's some purple oh'alls for DD then some for DS too and a hat for DS too.

We are having great weather here and I am getting out as much as possible. Despite this the knitting is going much faster for me.
#23 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 01:11 PM

A scarf for me. I'm using some yummy silk/cashmere yarn my mom got me for xmas. I'm just doing my own thing as I go, no pattern. I cast on from the middle and did a alternating leaf lace, and then some eyelet ridges, and then a stockinette panel with bobbles, some more eyelet ridges, and finished with a picot bind off. It looks very pretty. I'm on the second half about to start the bobble panel, but I need dh to help me wind my last skein of yarn into a ball before I can continue.
#24 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 01:13 PM

The more the snow falls the more I knit... Right now I am finishing my first "real" thing -- a scarf for my dd. I should finish today so I need to learn how to finish it off -- dh is good with reading directions so he should help My next goal is to learn to make a hat for my youngest dd.
#25 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 01:21 PM

The apron top from LTK! it is so cute! I just need to finish it up with a chain stitch and strings....but I only own one crochet hook and I left it at my sisters!!!!! ugh-good thing DD won't be needing any summer clothes too soon!
#26 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 02:03 PM

1. My most exciting thing! A clapotis for me with wool/silk yarn from LTK

2. A pair of LTK felted mocs for baby with bark colored LTK farm wool. 1 left to finish.

3. A pair of socks for my mom. Lion Brand Magic Stripes.

4. A hat for BIL. Black Plymouth Encore yarn. Finished it and then it was way too big so I frogged it and am starting over.

5. A LTK Easy Peasy for dd. White Plymouth Encore yarn. (This has been just sitting forever. I HATE the feel of acrylic yarn and I really don't want to finish this.)

6. A pair of preemie sized LTK Longies. Hunter Green Plymouth Galway. I started this last month and then miscarried on New Years Day. It hurts my heart to pick it up right now.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#27 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 03:10 PM

Don't worry lovelocks...your hands will get used to it! When I first started knitting socks I held my hands so tightly that I actually thought I had permanently damaged my right pinkie I actually knit with a splint for a while. Your hands are learning something new and unfamiliar right now...just take a break when it starts to hurt. Now I have really strong hands!

I would caution you though that holding 3 strands together for a first project can be really tricky! Try a washcloth maybe? If you'll google "dishcloth boutique" you'll find a great site with patterns that range from simple to complex.

Happy knitting!
Allison
#28 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 04:29 PM

Hey Aurora, are you able to post a pic of those Magic Stripe socks you are working on? I have been comtemplating buying some but I really want to see something that is made or being made with it.
#29 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishshack
Hey Aurora, are you able to post a pic of those Magic Stripe socks you are working on? I have been comtemplating buying some but I really want to see something that is made or being made with it.
Here is a pair that I've made...magic stripe anklets, of course the cuffs, heels, & toes are something else (bernat? I think...).

I liked it OK except that I remember it being kind of pricey for the high acrylic content and it is a little heavy for socks...This was my second pair of socks and now I prefer really really thin yarn for socks.

Allison
#30 of 58 Old 01-23-2005, 05:55 PM

I am just about finished with Sam's longies. This was the first time I revised a pattern for my ds' measurements, and for a bulky weight yarn I was using. I am doing the ltk longies pattern on 9's with bulky yarn, and so I knit up a size large with a longer rise and some other small changes. I have about 4 inches left to knit on the last leg...I will finish it today, but i tried them on him and they fit perfect!!! Oh, I also knit the waist onmuch smaller needles because I would love to be able to use it without a drawstring...we'll see. :LOL

I think I am doing another pair for my dd after this.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page