Easy tie-dye instructions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-26-2005, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I googled instructions for tie-dying and came up with sites that list all tons of "ingredients" and have complicated directions.

Can anyone give me a lesson in "Tie-Dying for Dummies"? My son wants to dye some t-shirts for his cousins' birthdays and there's got to be an easier way than what I've read so far.

TIA!
#2 of 6 Old 01-26-2005, 03:54 PM

:
#3 of 6 Old 01-26-2005, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
I do a low immersion thing that might be interesting to you.

I use regular powder dye (like Rit). What I do is called low immersion. Basically, you just put the thing you want to dye in container that just fits it ~ tightly. You can add the dye on top and bottom or get creative. Add water (not much should fit). Then, pop it in the microwave for a little while because heat activated the dye.

You could also tie it and you can experiment with how you 'fold' it into the container. Let it sit for at least an hour ~ or overnight and then dump it into the washing machine. If you add the dye water it will mellow out the effect, it's up to you. It's fun.

This is an adaptation of a process used for reactive dyes. I say this because if you look up the instructions, know that you should probably use 'complimentary colors' if you're using Rit.

You could also just tie it up with rubber bands and through it in the washing machine.

Good luck!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#4 of 6 Old 01-26-2005, 08:09 PM

Check out http://forum.tie-dyed.net/viewforum....4cec8f6332fa48
This is a section in the forum on tie-ups. Check out the rest of the forum as well. Also if you go to the website partenered with the forum, he has downloadable "mini-movies" on certain folds/tie-ups. He is also coming out with a DVD showing al sorts of stuff. Anyways, here is the link to the site http://tie-dyed.net/store/catalog/Ho...Dye-sp-11.html

Have fun!
Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#5 of 6 Old 01-27-2005, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all!

I have to say, I'm a little overwhelmed. I really thought that it would just be a matter of rubber-banding a couple little undershirts and tossing them in a basin of colored water. Clearly, this is going to require a little more commitment and organization than I had anticipated!
#6 of 6 Old 01-27-2005, 05:04 PM

Seriously, it really isn't going to require much organization. I know reading all that stuff is overwhelming, but the important thing about dye-ing and tie-dyeing is to relax. Look at the stuff you read as being general guidelines.

If you don't want to do squirt bottles, then don't. Do immersion dyeing after you tie-up. Experiment with things in increments.

Relax and have fun

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page