how to make "frayed" quilt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-10-2005, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have seen a few of these on display and I really like the look. Somewhere I have a saved magazine with a pattern and instructions - but we have just moved and I have no idea where it might be.

I seem to recall that these quilts were made of flannel and the pieces were sewn wrong sides together instead of the usual method of right sides together. Is anyone familiar with this technique?

I just want to make a quick, simple patchwork quilt out of several beautiful pieces of flannel I have. I thought about doing this and then tying the quilt.

Am I on the right track? What about the biding? Do you revert to right sides together when you finish the quilt for strength?
#2 of 6 Old 02-11-2005, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here's a link with info on making a ragged flannel quilt (i think it's ragging that you are talking about):

http://www.craftsofchaddsford.com/makeragquilt.htm

good luck!

katje
#3 of 6 Old 02-11-2005, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! that pattern was just what I needed to get started! I have also ordered a book on frayed quilting - I think that will be a good way to get my kids started. I can't wait to get sewing!
#4 of 6 Old 03-11-2005, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

I have finished a quilt using the pattern form the above link. I can't believe how fast it went! Three evenings of cutting out squares of flannel and batting, two evenings of quilting the "sandwiches" , one evening sewing them all together and another evening clipping the edges - it is finished and gorgeous! I love this technique. It is so soft and the frayed edges feel so nice, the texture is a nice addition. I am definitely going to do this again!
#5 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama
I have finished a quilt using the pattern form the above link. I can't believe how fast it went! Three evenings of cutting out squares of flannel and batting, two evenings of quilting the "sandwiches" , one evening sewing them all together and another evening clipping the edges - it is finished and gorgeous! I love this technique. It is so soft and the frayed edges feel so nice, the texture is a nice addition. I am definitely going to do this again!
Do you have a picture you could post of it? It sounds awesome
#6 of 6 Old 03-18-2005, 01:00 AM

I've also made a baby sized rag quilt without the batting, and backed it with a layer of microfleece. *very* simple/fast project! Oh, here's a pic: http://www3.sympatico.ca/saffronbay/.../rag-quilt.jpg

I've been collecting funky flannel squares for a while now and plan to do another for my daughter's bed. (Not that she ever sleeps in her bed! :LOL)

I think a denim one would be awesome too!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page