knit a baby blanket - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-12-2005, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started knitting and I really want to knit something for a friend's soon to be born baby. She lives in southern California and has chosen ducks for the baby. Does anyone know where I can get instructions or a pattern for knitting a baby blanket with a duck either knitted into it or sewn on top? Is a knitted blanket even a good idea? TIA

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 02-12-2005, 11:47 PM

Knitting a blanket is a wonderful idea! I don't have a duck pattern, your best bet is to go to your LYS or the library or Barnes and Noble and look for any kind of pattern with a duck in it. Once you have a chart for a duck, you can just knit a very plain blanket and stick a duck in the middle of it! Or if you are artistic, try duplicate stitching a duck on top once you knit the very plain blanket!

Oops, baby crying, must run
#3 of 14 Old 02-13-2005, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I never think to check my local library but it's such an obvious first place to look. So far, I've only knitted two wool soakers for my own ds and I'm in the process of knitting a wool hat that I have no idea with what I'll do. I'm thinking wool is too hot for southern CA. What type of yarn should I use for the blanket, cotton or a cotton/polyester blend or something I haven't thought of?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#4 of 14 Old 02-13-2005, 12:45 PM

There's a duck baby blnket in the Winter 2004 issue of Family Circle Easy Knitting.

I might go for a blend if I were you. Knitted cotton blankets can turn out fairly heavy, though I know some really like them. I am making a baby blanket right now out of Plymouth Encore Colorspun, which is a wool/acrylic blend (but a nicer blend). It's pretty economical and I think it'll end up being cozy without being too hot.
#5 of 14 Old 02-13-2005, 10:09 PM

I'm sorry I never replied to you I think your best bet would be to pick out a baby blanket pattern and then either duplicate stitch the duck on, or chart it out and then knit it using intarsia (much more complicated) .

As for yarn - I just found out there is a yarn store downtown. Sounds like a trip is in order, eh
#6 of 14 Old 02-14-2005, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

I'd love to take a trip downtown for some yarn shopping. I thought of just knitting a regular blanket and adding the duck but I'd need a pattern for the duck. I am not artistic at all so there's no way I could make a decent looking duck freehand. Even if I just had something I could lay over to do the outline and then fill in, that would work.

#7 of 14 Old 02-14-2005, 05:03 AM

You could trace a duck and embroider it, or we could print out some knitting graph paper and I could help you chart it out.
#8 of 14 Old 02-14-2005, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

That would be great if you would help me like that. Give me a call whenever you have time, don't worry if it's kind of spur of the moment. You are the one with the new baby and two other young kids. Ryan gets his cast off Wednesday but other than that, I'm open.

#9 of 14 Old 02-15-2005, 10:02 PM

I think I saw a free pattern for a knit blanket with a ducky motif at this site:

bernat.com

You'll have to register though, but that's easy and still free!
#10 of 14 Old 02-15-2005, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that site. I had come across a kit to make that blanket but it included blue yarn and I want yellow. The free pattern will work wonderfully.

#11 of 14 Old 02-17-2005, 01:45 AM

With all due respect... I knitted myself a blanket for my baby and it was THE most useless item I made. It was GORGEOUS... really neat pattern with these hearts... kind of open work... but it was light weight... weirdly stretchy... just a really, really dumb waste of my time. And it really did take a lot of my time... and patience...

The two blankets I crochets for my baby, and the bigger than standard flannel recieving blankets I hemmed up... now THOSE got a lot of use.

I also recieved a knitted blanket from DH's grandmother ... never used it. That wasn't stretchy but it was oddly bulky. And I feel awful because I know what a lot of work it took...

The whole experience made me REALLY regret the knitted blanket I made for my niece a few years ago... and made me swore never to knit another baby blanket every again.

Just my two cents. Think very long and hard before going to the effort. I personally think crochet is the way to go for baby blankets... but I could just be unlucky.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#12 of 14 Old 02-17-2005, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

LOL Runnerduck. I don't actually expect my friend to use the blanket. She'll probably think it's very strange. I don't care. It's just something that I want to try and she's having a baby so it gives me a good excuse. (BTW, fellow cyster here. )

#13 of 14 Old 02-17-2005, 02:15 PM

Marinewife, I knitted a blanket out of dishcloth cotton for a friend's baby. It was knit to look like squares of garter and stockinette, quite plain. They used it more than any other blanket. I have a crochet blanket for DS that I never use, and a knitted one that I use all the time. I really think it depends on what you make. And the size that you make it. And what you use to make it. I say go for it, because I've had great success knitting baby blankets as gifts!

Alison
#14 of 14 Old 02-17-2005, 11:37 PM

Well... have a good time. The important thing is to have fun (or at least not swear too much as you pick out stitches) and to learn new things.

I'm sure it will be adorable. I am partial to ducks myself.

Sorry to hear you're a fellow cyster. I'm having a lousy lousy time of things with that right now myself...

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page