need advice for sewing a new bouncy seat cover - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-27-2002, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first time posting in this thread...I'm expecting my first baby at the beginning of December, and a friend gave me some great 'basics'--one of which is a great 'bouncy seat'. The only problem is that the 'seat' part that slips over the 'frame' is ugly! LOL. It has a typical juvenial pattern (on a white polyester background) that is really an eyesore. The 'seat' part slips right off the frame for washing, and I took it off last night to see how it was made and came to the conclusion that I could probably re-make it using a much more comfortable and attractive fabric.

Have any of you 'reupholstered' baby items. I also received a carseat with the detachable 'baby bucket' with the same problem, and I'd love to reupholster that as well.

Here are my questions:
  • Will I be doing myself a disservice by using natural fibers? Do these items need to be fireproof? Is there any way to fireproof fleece (poly), wool, velour or terry?
  • Is this worth doing?
  • What tips do you have for fabric, batting, construction, etc?

Thanks,
all the best,
Victoria
#1 edd: 12/04/02
#2 of 2 Old 10-12-2002, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't recommend recovering the carseat altogher but making a slip cover is fairly easy for a baby bucket style. mostly an oval with elstic around it and holes for the straps. something lightweight is best so it doesn't effect the fit of the seat. As for the bouncy seat that sounds easy and I don't see why you couldn't use what ever fabric you wanted although don't get anything stretchy. Since it is more or less hammic style too much stretch and your baby's but mught be bouncing right to the floor. A good sturdy, thivker corron would be your best bet (or two layers of whatever you use just for strength, you would feel horribleif it gave out).

i don't see any reason to fireproof. And I think fleece is fire-retardant. They make pahammas out of it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page