If I don't drink it, why would I use it on clothing on my body? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's with this dying of wool with kool-aid?

I hate the look of bug juice in a glass and if I was doing my own dying of wool, I doubt I'd want aniline dyes on it.
#2 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 11:45 AM

I woudln't either, but then I'm a freak for the natural colors and organics.
:LOL
#3 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Then why do we have so many threads about it? Isn't this still "THE Natural Family Living Community"?

Are we going to be encouraging Jell-O recipes, too?

#4 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 01:46 PM

But there are lots of food threads on this board that have recipes using things like m&m's and cool whip.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#5 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Realized that now.

Am rather confused about it.

There's an awful lot of people on these boards who need the Feingold diet. I'd assume they'd come here to find assistance in using it, not more stuff using dyes with lead, or other lovely concoctions.

#6 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 02:37 PM

I think that many of us found mothering for similar base reasons, but we are not all on the same point in our paths to where ever we may be going. What natural family living means to one person could be quite different to another.
If you are concerned then you could post alternate ideas on those threads for other more natural means of dyeing fabrics and provide some information for people who may not know about the ingredients etc.
Just a thought
#7 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 02:39 PM

Well, maybe a lot of people here just wandered over after purchasing an $80 diaper and aren't quite interested in natural living. Or, there have been some posts at other boards to send freepers here. Maybe that's how we end up with some not very natural threads. There have been senior member freepers here.

Those threads don't make sense to me either. If I'm going to dye something, I plan on making a visit into the garden for chrysanthemums, walnut husks, violas, or something else like that. If I'm going to bake cookies, I'm not going to put m&m's and green #? in them. If I make a fruit salad, cool whip and all its chemicals will not be an ingredient in my salad. But I'm obviously not like everyone here. Part of why I'm not here very often these days.

#8 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 03:00 PM

I never even THOUGHT about it. I wouldn't drink Koolaid, but I didnt' think twice about dying with it! Hmmm, something for me to consider!
And for what it's worth, I always thought of Mothering.com as an attachment parenting site, as opposed to a natural family living site. I've always marveled at the people who are here who aren't parents! (Unless they were planning to be, of course!) I guess we all have different reasons for being around.
I would LOVE to learn to dye with plants!
#9 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 03:23 PM

But it says "THE Natural Family Living Community" right up there at the top of every page.

To me, being an attached, gentle parent is something that came out of living a natural life. Not the other way around. Maybe my mindset is just different and that is why I don't feel like I fit in here anymore. I'm crunchy and natural and was crunchy and natural for many years before becoming a parent.

I do want to help people who go about it the other way from me. I don't want to put them down. I just feel too on the fringe when unnatural things are always suggested. Maybe this isn't where sohj is wanting this thread to go though. Veering to the shoulder is something I often do.

#10 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 03:30 PM

I have a question about dyeing....I'm ~13/14 weeks pregnant and have a great idea to make a rug w/all of dh's old ratty white t-shirts, but I don't want an off-white sweat-colored rug. I thought I might dye w/kool-aid because when I posted a question here about dyeing while pregnant I got "you shouldn't do it at all" but I want to make this rug for the summer.

What natural dyes could I use to make bright colors and how do I go about dyeing?

I don't drink kool-aid either because of all the crap in it, but why would it be harmful to wear it or walk on it (in the case of a rug)?

PS: I love that there are still mama's here who LIVE the nfl way and are willing to help those of us aspiring to become more nfl along our journey. Thank you, Ladies.
#11 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 03:43 PM

But, to me ( a non artsy person) every time I see a thread about koolaid dying in the "new posts," I think HOW COOL, I want to see if this is something I can do at a kids' party. Now, my kids don't know what kool aid is, but it sounds like something cheap they can mix themselves and I won't be worried about waste or mess.

Of course, that's as far as I've gotten b/c I always get to the diaper part and am stumped. :
#12 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 03:50 PM

in our craft tutorials there is a sticky that gives step by step on plant dyeing. It shares a thread with koolaid dyeing.
:

Quanilez was kind enough to type all that info out for us with references too!
Check it out
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=140047
#13 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 03:51 PM

Your skin is not a solid barrier between your body and the outside world. Some of the chemicals you put on your skin do get absorbed into your body. I don't know how much will go into the skin, but some definitely does. That's why I don't use shampoo. It's why it's better to buy organic cotton or used cotton items. In the case of used, someone else washed it enough times to get the pesticide residue off the clothing.

If you wear shoes in the house, your skin will not come into contact with the chemicals in a kool-aid dye. But you and your family would inhale them for a while. And your hands would touch the dyed fabric while braiding or weaving the rug. What colors do you want in the rug? People have dyed fabrics for thousands of years with plants and the chemical dyes are not neccessary. You might not be able to get some vibrant colors from plants, but you can get many beautiful shades.

#14 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone
Well, maybe a lot of people here just wandered over after purchasing an $80 diaper and aren't quite interested in natural living. Or, there have been some posts at other boards to send freepers here. Maybe that's how we end up with some not very natural threads. There have been senior member freepers here.

Those threads don't make sense to me either. If I'm going to dye something, I plan on making a visit into the garden for chrysanthemums, walnut husks, violas, or something else like that. If I'm going to bake cookies, I'm not going to put m&m's and green #? in them. If I make a fruit salad, cool whip and all its chemicals will not be an ingredient in my salad. But I'm obviously not like everyone here. Part of why I'm not here very often these days.
Well, I have never spent $80 on a diaper, but i have on wool.I have spent alot on diapers though. And many of those people spending big money on diapers also use family wipes and are very concerned with the environment and NFL. I really don't see what money has to do with it.
And kool-aid actually produces some beautiful colors.i have great interest in dropping it though and learning plant dyeing.I even plan on going to the farmers market soon and getting some local yarn to dye upBut for now, how is koolaid dyeing any less"natural" than using,say, Dharma dyes?I honestly haven't looked into so I don't know. I mean, I am NOT drinking it!
And, the wool I dye is going over a diaper, not even really touching their skin for the most part.
I guess your judgement of the person spending $80 on diapers just set me off.Sorry.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#15 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 04:09 PM

I wanted to do one in a "caribbean" style w/lots of bright colors (I was thinking lime, fuschia, teal and lemon) and a blue shades one.

We don't wear our shoes in the house (I don't like the idea of street gunk, oil, city "germs" being tracked all over the house and I can't stand shoes/socks so mine would be off even if we lived in the country.

Where can I get the ingredients? We have a Whole Foods and Wild Oats not too far from here. Neighbors on either side of our house (north and behind) douse their lawns in pesticides every year (our neighbor to the south no longer does since ds was born and we asked them not to) so I don't feel good using flowers/plants that I would grow here. Can you order ingredients on-line?

Thanks for answering all my questions :-)
#16 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu
But for now, how is koolaid dyeing any less"natural" than using,say, Dharma dyes?I honestly haven't looked into so I don't know. I mean, I am NOT drinking it!
And, the wool I dye is going over a diaper, not even really touching their skin for the most part.
Well, have you read the ingredients list lately?

Blue # 30

Red # whatever.

Et cetera, et cetera, etc.

http://diet-studies.com/dye.html

and you might find this interesting:

Quote:
Lead poisoning associated with imported candy and powdered food coloring--California and Michigan. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1998 Dec 11;47(48):1041-3.

" Although the most common source of pediatric lead poisoning is dust within the home that contains deteriorated lead-based paint from walls and windowsills, other less common sources (1-3) can result in excess exposure among children . . . This report describes two cases of pediatric lead poisoning associated with eating imported candy and food stuffs and underscores the importance of thorough history-taking to identify unusual sources of lead exposure. "
#17 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

And in order to get your "vibrant" colors (root of the word vibrant includes the latin "to live"...rather ironic, there, eh?) people have to work in chemical factories. And get cancer. And pollute our water supplies.

And, yeah, what madrone said about being a "natural" living person first and coming to attachment parenting through that. In fact, most of the earlier members fit this description. It is only very recently that it has changed.
#18 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 04:32 PM

Ok, so those things need to be taken into account. But- many thins that are natural are dangerous as well. Take pottery glazes and oil paints for example. And thoe are made with natural ingredients. And, lead IS natural. Just because it is bad for you doesn't mean it is unatural. So, technically I should not be using dharma dyes either.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#19 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, lead is natural, but it is never as concentrated in nature as it is in manufactured products. Nor is it ever in a "pure" state. It is unrefined. So, it is in a compound that might have some buffering or protective qualities. (Or, maybe not.)

I don't know the ingredients in Dharma Dyes. If they are vegetable based, they would be far less harmful in the concentrations you'd be using for dying...and they would have less "persistence". Many of them would be completely harmless. They also would degrade in the wastestream.

Speaking as a civil engineer (my profession), I can ASSURE you that the waste from a chemical dye plant needs special treatment in the WTP (Wastewater Treatment Plant) to make it fit to be considered "clean".

Of course, you should check the ingredients in everything and consider the possibility of allergic reactions, etc.

Using the argument of whatever-the-element-is-natural-too evades the issues of concentration and persistence. It is also a red herring, because by that logic, lettuce should be avoided during the day as it is a soporific.

And, yes, many pottery glazes are potentially toxic. That is why care should be taken in using them. And using stuff that is glazed. Or made from clay that contains high concentrations of aluminum (kaolin) or other potentially harmful metals. (You cannot avoid metal in clays: Clay is clay and NOT silt because of the presence of ions. You need metallic particles. That's what makes it sticky.)
#20 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I guess it is all a matter of which evil you choose. There are some very natural wonderful, very safe ways to dye things. However, most dye that you can buy - unless using raw vegetable or mineral matter -are in fact toxic.

I used to work in a costume shop - we dyed a LOT of fabric. We were required to wear gloves and masks AT ALL TIMES while handling the dye. Most dyes, even when natural (we used a lot of really good dyes, natural and non-natural) are toxic. Would I let my kid play with them - HECK NO! But we wear stuff the it dyed with those substances all the time. You may not even know it - they don't tell you what kind of dyes they use in your t-shirt or underwear.

Ultimately, while kool-aid is not a terribly friendly substance, I would much rather let my kid use that to dye something - with gloves of course - than with some of the pro dyes.

I have also used just plain food coloring - which works pretty well and things like onion skins, saffron, etc...it is all pretty nasty and all of it dyes your skin.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#21 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 07:44 PM

Thank you for giving a perfect example of why I do not venture very far at MDC these days Leila. If you do not see the intrinsic harm in materialism and consumption, I really do not want to try to explain it to you. It is possible for someone to become caught in the web of consumption in the realm of environmental products also.

AngusChick1, I am pming you.

#22 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 07:50 PM

Hmm... is it natural to be judgemental? Not everyone is perfect enough to grind their own cochineal but we're all here because we're striving to live a natural life. Judgemental snobbery just drives people away.

And, it's dyeing not dying.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#23 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone

what does how much $$ someone spends or their political leanings have to do with nfl? what, only ubber poor and leftist political leaners have the monopoly on nfl?

as for the natural dyes, not everyone has the same opportunities to be able to just walk outside and pluck blooms or dig up and onion to use for dyes. Not everyone KNOWS there is a more natural option. Instead of showing disdain for using koolaid dyeing, why not show and explain plant dyes and how to dye with plants.

some plant dyeing info:
http://www.quilthistory.com/dye.htm
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/naturaldyes.html
http://www.aurorasilk.com/info/naturaldyes_faq.shtml
http://www.textilelinks.com/dye/natinfo.html
just to get one started

instead of complaining about not so "natural" being used, offer up more natural products to be used instead...instead of m&m's, use organic caro chips or organic chocolate chips...instead of cool whip, organic heavy whipping cream with homemade vanilla extract and either raw honey/organic cane sugar/mollassas/organic maple syrup whipped up nice and fluffy..offer up OPTIONS for the reader to have more natural choices when they may not have known or thought of.

I thought the point of this forum was to also help guide towards that direction those that wish to become more natural with the resources they have available?

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#24 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=Sheena]Hmm... is it natural to be judgemental? QUOTE]

:LOL YES

#25 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 08:20 PM

LOL... I guess it does occur in nature... but is safe only when very very dilluted.

#26 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohj
What's with this dying of wool with kool-aid?

Dying wool? Wool is dying because of Kool-Aid? Well that is unconsionable.

But seriously, there are a lot of things I wouldnt' eat that I would feel ok using for crafts.

I think NFL is a journey for most of us... learning to be more aware of a gentler, less toxic way to live. I certainly have a ways to go. Like others have mentioned, I'd appreciate support on my journey instead of demeaning comments about my choices.
#27 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
LOL... I guess it does occur in nature... but is safe only when very very dilluted.
and a grain of seasalt and Braggs ACV :

#28 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 08:28 PM

and some nutritional yeast...

I crack me up, lol...

#29 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
and some nutritional yeast...

I crack me up, lol...
crack? you want crack? there's some crack for ya :LOL

you're cracking me up too as i'm sipping my organic red raspberry leaf tea made with natural spring water (or is that not ok , prob not since i heated my water on an electric stove and i took from a spring it's bounty and paid into capitalism by purchasing said products which is the ultimate and even worse I bought them from a small mom and pop store that is owned by a CONSERVATIVE *gasp)

#30 of 44 Old 02-25-2005, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelamama
I think NFL is a journey for most of us... learning to be more aware of a gentler, less toxic way to live. I certainly have a ways to go. Like others have mentioned, I'd appreciate support on my journey instead of demeaning comments about my choices.
It's a journey for ALL of us, there is never the perfect example of nfl, since everyones journey is their own. What's right for one isn't always right for another. The lovely thing about life is that the journey never really ends and there is no one truth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page