Serger opinions needed - Janome vs. Husqvarna - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-27-2005, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did some actual serger shopping today - in person rather than online - I saw a Janome 644D (the old man who was NOT very helpful at that particular store told me that the 634 was discontinued - I wouldn't buy from him anyway) it was $899 - I've seen the 634D online for $349, seems like a no brainer to me. Anyway, I also saw a Husqvarna Huskylock 936 which totally blew me away. I fell in love with the machine, but the price was sort of a drawback at $1300! I can't find anywhere online that sells them, only actual stores so I don't think I'll be able to get a break there. Anyway, I was hoping for some opinions about these two machines.

some things I like:

I like that computerized part of the Husky - it's pretty dummy proof as it tells you where to set your tension for various fabrics, etc. Seems pretty easy to thread, has a 5 thread option, has 16 pre-programmed stitches

I like that the Janome 644D has a self threading lower looper (does the 634D have that as well?), and I like the price.

I am trying to justify the price on the Husky, but I first wanted to get opinions from people who have used these machines. I know the Janome has gotten rave reviews here, but I have not seen much about the Huskylock.

TIA - again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-27-2005, 12:21 PM

I'm a janome girl, but am open for options...I have a simplicity frontier that works well once I sat down with the book and practiced with it while reading directions .

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#3 of 7 Old 02-27-2005, 05:46 PM

:

I just got online to post this question... however, I'm new to all this- I was looking at the H901, and it's out of my price range for now. All I know is that I want to make diapers, wipes, napkins, and mama cloth.

Good Luck with your search. The Husky you were looking at looks amazing! I got to play on it for a minute at JoAnn's, and that would be a wonderful machine to have, wouldn't it?
#4 of 7 Old 02-27-2005, 07:11 PM

I have a Huskylock 905 and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. First had a piece of junk White, then a Babylock Imagine, and now the 905. I bought mine for $600 but I have seen them on Ebay for around $400. Good Luck!
#5 of 7 Old 02-27-2005, 07:21 PM

I have a baby lock, and it kind of sucks, its an old cheap one.. It's tough enough to go through thick pile fabric, but the timing keeps slipping.
I had it serviced and they loaned me a husky lock. I adored it. It had a way bigger motor and was very quiet, smooth, and perfect.

Those baby lock imagine wave machines look pretty interesting though.
#6 of 7 Old 02-27-2005, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

The Huskylock 905 is one of the ones I was looking at yesterday - at the store it is $499 - the 936 just took my breath away though, that computerized brain it has just has me drooling!! I am trying to decide what I need vs. what I want It's good to know that the 905 is such a great machine though!! The only thing I didn't like about it is the cutting blade is right there in front of the needles, much like on my white - which is a pain to thread the needles on. Keep those opinions coming ladies, I'm taking it all in like a sponge
#7 of 7 Old 02-27-2005, 07:33 PM

I really like my Janome. I paid $288 including shipping so I couldn't even come near that price and justify a Viking. My Viking sewing machine is computerized and I love it. So fun and I don't have to think.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page