Waldorf style 'Heavy Baby'? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 02-27-2005, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody make one of these yet??
I have been really wanting to give it a go. I already know how to make the head (I've made a 16" doll for DD and a smaller one for DS), so that's not an issue.

I guess just figuring dimensions and how the sack would be made...would you have to outer layer be able to come off to wash? If so, would you make arms attached to the head/muff like with the 16" dolls?

I think I want one of these dolls more than they want/need one :LOL!
I've always loved the feel of beanie-type dolls, weighted and yet really flexible
#2 of 22 Old 02-27-2005, 08:02 PM

I've been wanting to make one, too. They are so cute.
I was thinking of using a newborn nightgown over a body - so you could remove it to wash. Do you think it would need legs? I can't tell by the pictures I've seen.
#3 of 22 Old 02-27-2005, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

A newborn (or maybe premie, depending on the size of the doll) nightgown, that's a good idea....less sewing is always good when you have two little ones running around :LOL
No, I don't believe they have legs...just a sack-style body from what I've seen/read.
#4 of 22 Old 03-21-2005, 08:33 PM

Lentils make a nice weight in little dolls. The bigger ones with legs have sand, somehow.
#5 of 22 Old 07-14-2006, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Bump from the depths of never, to see if anyone has tried this...I still haven't gotten around to it, but DD really is wanting a new doll so I want to try soon :
#6 of 22 Old 07-26-2006, 05:58 PM

I made 16" Waldorf babies for my kids for Yule last year. I have been debating on the heavy babies for a long time. Dd is is really in to babies right now and we are ttc number 3. I made some small knotted dolls that the kids love and am selling them now - which brought me to the realization that we can have different dolls (I'm always trying to get rid of toys and wondered why we needed more of something we alread had). So, next month I am going to make heavy babies - but I plan to make the 12" ones so that are more different from what we have now

mandy

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#7 of 22 Old 08-03-2006, 10:30 PM

I've seen these dolls made three different ways - all of them easy, especially if you've made Waldorf dolls before. The first doll I saw had a muslin sac for a body with knit hands and a velour bunting dress that could be removed and washed if needed. The second doll was all velour with sew-in hands and attached head (bunting style again). And finally, I just saw one recently that was a normal doll, but with lentils and lavender in the torso and legs to weigh it down. I think you can do whatever makes the most sense to you. I think about 3 lbs is about right though - I've held one that was 5 lbs, and I thought it was too heavy.
#8 of 22 Old 09-04-2006, 03:18 PM

I just don't have the energy to make one now, but I like this Sweet Pea Baby. Would love to find a heavy baby doll to buy in Canada.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#9 of 22 Old 09-06-2006, 05:26 PM

I read somewhere that you can also use millit (sp?) to make a nice feeling heavy baby. I am also really interested in trying this out but so far I haven't been able to figure it out. i'm still researching dollmaking techniques to see if I can find some very good instructions.
#10 of 22 Old 09-06-2006, 10:31 PM

I made these. I made the 12" Little Babies and LOVE them. I'm not giving them to the kids for another 1 1/2 weeks and they are begging for them. I let them hold the babies while I was testing out the weight and the kids loved holding them like a real baby. I used rice and it worked well.

mandy

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#11 of 22 Old 10-03-2006, 12:12 AM

how big should the head be? I have a preemie gown that i think will work but have no idea how big i should make the head, the only other doll i made was a small one
#12 of 22 Old 10-03-2006, 01:56 AM

i actually made one today i used brown rice as my filler and it has a really nice weight to it (12" doll). i'm hoping to make one for each of the kids in dd's therapy class (about 8 kids) for the holidays this year.
#13 of 22 Old 10-03-2006, 03:29 PM

I would love to make one also. Has anyone ever used bags of sand for the weight? I would use millet or flaxseed but am wary of the occasional mouse becoming interested in the doll. I think that would be really traumatic! I heard some people use sand but I don't really know where to get it. I have heard that some playsand has silica in it and isn't safe for children or adults. I'll have to look around for some that is silica free. When you made your dolls did you put little pouches of the millet or did you stuff the entire thing with millet?

Thanks
#14 of 22 Old 10-04-2006, 02:35 PM

I've been looking to buy my son one of these. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to buy one or someone who makes them to sell?

Thanks!!
#15 of 22 Old 10-04-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicily View Post
I've been looking to buy my son one of these. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to buy one or someone who makes them to sell?

Thanks!!
this is the only place I have seen them but I am sure there might be others

http://www.joyswaldorfdolls.com/wald...heavy_baby.htm
#16 of 22 Old 10-04-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicily View Post
We love the Baby Jess doll.

#17 of 22 Old 10-04-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
We love the Baby Jess doll.
ohhh i did not noticed that one it is sooo cute!
#18 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 08:32 PM

Check out www.atoygarden.com for the Sweet Pea doll. This doll was the original Waldorf style weighted baby doll. It has four lbs of fill and can be dressed in baby clothes. I love the sweet face on this doll. The price is right, too-on sale now for $89.00 instead of $139.00 for Baby Jess.
#19 of 22 Old 10-11-2006, 09:08 AM

Any ideas?

"I would love to make one also. Has anyone ever used bags of sand for the weight? I would use millet or flaxseed but am wary of the occasional mouse becoming interested in the doll. I think that would be really traumatic! I heard some people use sand but I don't really know where to get it. I have heard that some playsand has silica in it and isn't safe for children or adults. I'll have to look around for some that is silica free. When you made your dolls did you put little pouches of the millet or did you stuff the entire thing with millet?"

Thanks
#20 of 22 Old 10-11-2006, 12:07 PM

I've used wheat berries, millet and lentils as filling for all sorts of heavy babies, and I always use a lentil for a belly button on my regular Waldorf style dolls. While I haven't lost any to vermin, I know someone who did. I just try not to think of it (not difficult with a new babe around!) and so far so good. I haven't used sand, but it seems like it would work fine...I'd mix the sand (the good, silica free stuff) with the wool, like with the other fillings. Then, maybe have an extra lining layer. I've used a lining layer for a few dolls and I like how firm they are
#21 of 22 Old 10-11-2006, 12:51 PM

The Jess Doll that I posted earlier is filled with sand and wool. I personally would avoid food items that could get yucky if accidentally wet or moist.

#22 of 22 Old 10-12-2006, 08:42 AM

"I've used wheat berries, millet and lentils as filling for all sorts of heavy babies, and I always use a lentil for a belly button on my regular Waldorf style dolls. While I haven't lost any to vermin, I know someone who did. I just try not to think of it (not difficult with a new babe around!) and so far so good. I haven't used sand, but it seems like it would work fine...I'd mix the sand (the good, silica free stuff) with the wool, like with the other fillings. Then, maybe have an extra lining layer. I've used a lining layer for a few dolls and I like how firm they are"

Wow. I didn't realize you just mixed the filling with the wool. I assumed you put little bags of fill in with the wool. What is the extra lining layer made from? Do you use the same skin material or just some muslin?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page