Advice on how to sew a simple fairy costume for my dd? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-30-2002, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This morning's inspiration: To sew a fairy outfit for dd's second Halloween!!! Now, I am NOT yet a seamstress, have barely sewn, at all, but am wanting to learn...Any advice on how to make something simple and lovely? I was thinking about even getting a onesie and sewing strips of gauze and silky fabrics around the waist for a skirt, maybe decorating with glittery fabric paint. Or giving an existing dress a fairy make-over somehow. But we need WINGS! Should I try to make some separately or make some that are attached in the back of the dress?I'm not sure she'd keep them on if not attached (she's big on pulling hats off) but if they were separate they'd be nice to use for playtime later....

Anyone done this?
Any inpsirations? What accessories do you think fairies need?My dd is 13.5 months and quite small.... Thanks so much crafty mamas!
#2 of 7 Old 09-30-2002, 12:18 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Store bought wings are so cheap and so perfect for what you want...I'd just buy the wings.

One year I even got wings with little faerie lights in them, they ran off a battery and twinkled.

I try to include some light of some sort in every Halloween costume. I like to be able to SEE her at all times. If I can't build lights in in some fashion, I buy bike lights and hook it on her collar or something. She hates it but knows she has to suck it up to be safe.

If buying wings won't work for you, find two pieces of fabric, pretty scarves or tie dye or pieces of sheet, cut them in a basic triangle, make the bottom of the triangle fancy, with trim or just cutting shapes out, and then safetly pin or sew them to your childs arms and body.

Or.....just put a sheet over her head, and cut thumb holes so she can flap.

I don't know where you are, but I make the basic body of the costume warm clothes. For a faerie, I might use green turtleneck and green leggings, etc. One year Maeve was Pooh Bear, she wore a yellow sleeper suit, a yellow hat with felt ears on, and a red vest, and it was adorable.

Warm and bright, that's the ticket.
#3 of 7 Old 09-30-2002, 07:26 PM

I would get a ballet leotard, long sleeve, and tights and buy the wings, Walmart has some really cute wings (cheap) and then I would make one of those chiffon skirts with the flowers that are inside the chiffon with an elastic waist.....those are SUPER easy! They even have the wand at Walmart too.

Good luck!
#4 of 7 Old 09-30-2002, 09:04 PM

I was just at www.elizabethlee.com

check out this page:

http://www.elizabethlee.com/patterns/sunrise.htm

Style #294: Playtime has a cute fairy costume.
#5 of 7 Old 10-01-2002, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great info, mamas! I'm intrigued by the idea of some kind of cape or shawl with thumb holes 'so she can flap!' I'll let you know how it goes....Hugs, Emily
#6 of 7 Old 10-16-2002, 12:42 AM

The fairy costumes I made for my daughters a few years ago were a little different but they loved them.

I got irridecent fabric in length long enough to be a rectangular poncho. I turned and zig-zagged the raw edges. I cut a head hole and stiched a ribbon around it to keep it from stretching. I sewed some glittery beads along the neckline and tacked some lengths of netting that I had in my fabric box to the shoulders. They had crowns that were made from tinsel garland that I got at the dollar store. They wore warm, solid color clothes underneath.
#7 of 7 Old 10-16-2002, 02:09 AM

These are two ways we make wings.
1. Take two wire coat hangers, strech and shape tehm to the type of wings you want. Next cover each one with white knee high panty hose and tie together in teh middle to keep the hangers together, next, sew a few layer of fabric around the middle to keep any exposed wire from poking. Last, draw with glitter paint or glue and sprinkle glitter. To attach just take a few strips of pantyhose, pull to make loops and criss-cross around the chest and under arms.

2. Take a big scarf, cinch it up in the middle and saftey pin to child's back. attach a loop of elastic at the top two corners, slip finger through and viola, instant fairy wings.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page