Need help with recycled sweater cover - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-04-2005, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I felted the sweater and it's really thick- 2 layers barely fit under my presser foot. I did a decorative overlock stitch on the edges because it was so thick, andthought I was done... but I forgot the elastic. So what's the best way to put the elastic on? I thought about just sewing it on, but I want it covered so it doesn't rub on ds. I thought about making a casing,but with what?! please
#2 of 14 Old 03-05-2005, 12:26 AM

Do you want it just functional, or pretty & functional? I think I'd sew the elastic to the outside, if looks didn't matter to me very much.
#3 of 14 Old 03-05-2005, 12:42 AM

I have a couple of ideas. Easiest would be to make a drawstring, then cut small holes in the waist to weave the drawstring through.

For a casing for elastic, I usually fold the edge down and stitch it. But if you don't have enough rise to do this, you could cut a strip of felted sweater and stitch it (applique it, actually) around the waist on the right side of the cover. For a pair I made that was a little short in the rise, I cut off the waist ribbing, folded it in half, and used a decorative feather stitch that could connect the folded waist casing to the top of the pants without the need to overlap them. I then ran elastic through the casing created. This was a very bulk-free way to handle the waist.

Do these ideas make sense? I tried for a picture but I couldn't get any close-up detail. HTH, anyway!

Karen
#4 of 14 Old 03-05-2005, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough-it's the leg elastic I forgot to put in. : I'd prefer it to be pretty- I appliqued a star on the bum and did a decorative stitch around the edges... I can't believe I was dumb enough to forget the elastic!
#5 of 14 Old 03-05-2005, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Easiest would be to make a drawstring, then cut small holes in the waist to weave the drawstring through.
Kari_mom - If it had of been the waist she was talking about, what would you use for a drawsting?
#6 of 14 Old 03-09-2005, 12:16 PM

Amy, did you figure something out? I saw a pair of longies this week that had the elastic just zig-zagged on the waist. You could try that for the legs, not perfect but it would salvage the cover and your hard work.

Whimsy, I can crochet just enough to make a single crochet chain, so that is how I make my drawstring. Otherwise I would braid it. I have a skein of wool-ease just to make drawstrings. I have been using elastic waists though, so my baby doesn't untie them and lose his pants when he crawls. .
#7 of 14 Old 03-09-2005, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
Amy, did you figure something out? I saw a pair of longies this week that had the elastic just zig-zagged on the waist. You could try that for the legs, not perfect but it would salvage the cover and your hard work.

Whimsy, I can crochet just enough to make a single crochet chain, so that is how I make my drawstring. Otherwise I would braid it. I have a skein of wool-ease just to make drawstrings. I have been using elastic waists though, so my baby doesn't untie them and lose his pants when he crawls. .
Not really... I thought I'd cut some lightweight wool jersey into strips and make casings for the elastic, but I haven't done it yet. Maybe I'll try the zig zag thing. The sweater felted up so much I'm afraid that another layer will make it too hard for the elastic to pull in. I'll post pics if I ever decide what to do...

:LOL Baby crawling out of his pants! Been there, seen that!
#8 of 14 Old 03-10-2005, 01:35 AM

Wow! If it felted up that much maybe you can make a nice trim wool cover like a Celtic Wolf with gussets. Not that I have tried one or really know what I am talking about, :LOL. I did buy one from the TP so that I can check it out, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Good luck!
#9 of 14 Old 03-10-2005, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, here it is....

front

back

I had some thicker elastic so I used that. I figured it would have more stretching power, and being wider it will hopefully be softer on Z's legs. It's not so bad!
#10 of 14 Old 03-10-2005, 10:42 PM

Looks good! How does it fit? I love the applique on the back. Did you make your own pattern?
#11 of 14 Old 03-10-2005, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

It fits OK- I'd like it trimmer in the crotch, but I made it for night and those are bulkier dipes. (I haven't tried it on with a night dipe) My hubbie drew the star for the applique and the pattern was an adaptation of VB AIO.
#12 of 14 Old 03-15-2005, 12:06 AM

#13 of 14 Old 03-15-2005, 05:49 AM

Man that rise looks short but I'm sure I'm just not see'ing the deminsions right! lol I love the colors and the applique!
#14 of 14 Old 03-23-2005, 04:32 AM

I think it looks great. What pattern did you use? I have a bunch of sweaters I scored at the thrift shop for 50 cents each. I have felted most of them and one got REALLY thick. I like the look of your cover and think that may work better than the pattern I had planned to follow.

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page