Does Dylon need a fixer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-06-2005, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought some dylon dye at the fabric store and it says nothing on the package about using a fixer. It simply says "Permanent Fabric Dye" on the label, and directions for dyeing on the back only mention adding salt to the dye bath. Is the fix (soda ash?) mixed in already? Or should I presoak in a soda ash mixture just to be sure? Would it do any harm? I googled for an answer and I found a couple of sites that mention a Dylon fixer that's sold separately, but you'd think the package I have would say something about it if it was needed.
Help please!
#2 of 6 Old 03-06-2005, 12:35 PM

I have been using Dylon and have not had to add an added fixer...then again, I might be doing it wrong too! LOL

In any case, I have been dying items and have washed them many many times and the colors are just as rich as when I dyed it.
#3 of 6 Old 03-09-2005, 01:23 PM

If you are using the "cold water" dyes they are fiber reactive dyes that require an activator for the dye to react/fix to the fabric. That being said and never having used Dylon but seen it/read about it, I think everything needed to make the dye work is contained in the mix. So your all good especially since lovingit has done well with it

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#4 of 6 Old 03-14-2005, 04:45 PM

I have some bibs soaking in cold water Dylon dye right now.

There was the dye package and the fix both in the box that I bought. I filled the sink with the cold water, then added the dye to hot water and put it in the cold water, then put the fix and some salt in more hot water and added that to the cold water then added the bibs.

The package did not say that the fix was included, but it is.
#5 of 6 Old 03-14-2005, 08:58 PM

The newer packages have the soda ash mixed in!
#6 of 6 Old 10-04-2013, 04:22 AM

Mordant(fixer) opens the fibres up before dying so you get a truer colour. That's why it's used in the mix when dying: if you do so later, it's better than nothing, but not as good as doing it at the time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page