Fitted making questions (pics included) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-16-2005, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, I can't figure out how to put in lastin in the back and make it look good.

This is what I did tonight: http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL934...7/89391359.jpg

Sure it looks ok but in real life that makes the back floppy and weird, I just don't like it. What i did was sew the lastin down to the outer layers inside the diaper and then sew up the opening in the back.

What am I supposed to do??

Next, it doesn't seem to matter what I try with regard to stitch type, length or tension none of my soakers come out normal looking. They are always curvy if you know what I mean. Here's the one from tonight: http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL934...7/89325317.jpg

Any suggestions? They are cut straight! lol

And finally, here's a picture of the four diapers I've done this week so far: http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6873227

The sheep one is a medium but it has lastin in it and will shrink up, the others have knitted. Red PUL and Basketweave are larges (identical in rise and overall size. That was my first time working with PUL and it wasn't scary at all thankfully!).

So there you go, any help on my "issues"?
#2 of 16 Old 03-16-2005, 05:08 AM

I'm certainly no expert, and this sounds like a dumb thing to say...but the elastic in the back of the sheep diaper looks like it was sewn more "ruffly" on one side and straighter on the other. Ie, you pulled it tighter on one side when sewing it down.

Did you tack it on the beginning and ends?

It just looks way more gathered on the left side of the picture (from the sheep side of the fabric) than the right....
#3 of 16 Old 03-16-2005, 11:11 AM

i culd never get my elastic to bunch up either till i started using a straight stivch over it. also dont forget to pull the elastic very tight.
what are you using to sew? if your using a sewing machine i think it would be really hard to get the sqaured of at all ends all the time. but hey im no expert lol
and hey your dipes look real nice!!
#4 of 16 Old 03-16-2005, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Elastic usually does that when it's been stitched through at some point of the topstitching, or when it's been attached to the crossgrain of a knit and stretched out the fabric (which usually snaps back when you wash it the first time)

I try really hard to never have the opening where there is elastic, it just never works out quite right. Try moving your opening (the one that you turn it right side out) to the side of the front panel or something like that.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#5 of 16 Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 PM

I dont use Lastin so I am not sure about the elastic. I just use Polybraid and make sure I m pulling the same the whole time I am sewing.
#6 of 16 Old 03-16-2005, 03:49 PM

okay, i am no help! just wanted to say your dipes look great! i can't t&t anything but a pocket b/c it always looks terrible where i sew up the hole. are you sure that's not the problem w/ the back of the dipe? i wish i could do it b/c i'd love to make something like kissaluv 0's for a friend, just seems easier than having to find soakers and stuff pockets for those first few weeks when you're just getting used to having a baby. <<sigh>>

what did you use for the inner (against baby) on that pul dipe? i have only done suedecloth and microfleece inners b/c i'm not sure about wicking from an absorbent inner. i'd love to try it, though. and does it have an internal soaker?

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#7 of 16 Old 03-16-2005, 04:40 PM

Those look great!

I tried using Lastin for the first time ever last night, and I hated it. So I tore it out and used poly instead. Sorry, no advice on that from me.

And every doubler I've tried to make has wavy edges as well, but with time and washings, they eventually 'relaxed' a bit.

Good Job!
#8 of 16 Old 03-16-2005, 05:52 PM

For your soakers, can you adjust your presser foot pressure? On my machine there is a dial on the top of the column over the presser foot that allows you to change how tightly the presser foot holds the fabric. If it is too heavy, knits will wave when you stitch them. A walking foot is also another solution to the problem, it allows the fabric to feed more evenly. Or a serger with differential feed, but that is a pricey solution!
#9 of 16 Old 03-16-2005, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the album updated to show better pictures of each of the diapers and a better picture of the elastic I was having trouble with: http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6873227

The bunching looked funny in the first pictures because of the way I was stretching it out to take the picture. One side of it is a little straighter than the others but that's because I changed the length of the 3 step zig zag just after I started sewing down the lastin.

I don't know if I can adjust the foot pressure, I'll read my manual (this is a 40-50 year old machine) but I probably can get a walking foot. Thank you for the suggestion! And it does look like it will loosen up after some washings but since I give these away I can't know that for sure and I don't have the extra time to make one for Nathan to see for myself!

Jayne - I *insist* on fixing this "problem" because people want quick dry, soaker sewn in the back fitteds! I can always use knitted in the back and make it look like the inside of the basketweave does as shown in the album i just posted (toward the bottom) but I hate changing types of elastic just for that! I will if I have to though!

The PUL diaper is just a pocket diaper with a micro inner, I'm afraid to do an AIO and definitely afraid to do a true AIO and even more afraid to use something other than micro for say a waterproof training pant! :LOL Let me know if you make one of the above so you can give me tips!!

I definitely did not stitch through the lastin when I topstitched.. I topstitched way above it and was very careful so that's not the cause. I just don't like the look of this and think there has to be another way to put lastin in the back. I can move the hole but I'm really not sure to where without makign the diaper look dumb or too close to another elastic, perhaps the side of the front panel on front closing diapers is my best option?

Oh and I did tack it down on both sides and pull it evenly, again it's partly the picture and partly my stitch length change 1/4 of the way through sewign the elastic.
#10 of 16 Old 03-17-2005, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennInSeattle
I don't know if I can adjust the foot pressure, I'll read my manual (this is a 40-50 year old machine) but I probably can get a walking foot. Thank you for the suggestion! And it does look like it will loosen up after some washings but since I give these away I can't know that for sure and I don't have the extra time to make one for Nathan to see for myself! ..
Jenn, if your machine is like mine, there is a little buttony thing on the very top left of the machine, a chrome push-down button with numbers written on it in red. That is your foot pressure.
#11 of 16 Old 03-17-2005, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

What do you know! I have one! Thank you!! I appreciate the savings in time and money.

And by the way, if I came off as defensive at all I don't feel that way! I'm not a professional, I'd hesitiate to call myself an amateur and definitely not beyond receiving help. Thank you to everyone who has stopped to help so far!
#12 of 16 Old 03-17-2005, 01:19 AM

Jen- what gorgeous diapers, they look great to me! Is that the Darling pattern? I just got mine yesterday, but haven't made any yet. Where did you get the cute PUL?
#13 of 16 Old 03-17-2005, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, that's the Darling Diapers pattern. I've made alterations to it on other diapers but every one of these is directly from the pattern. I just love her pattern!

Oh and the only PUL one is the red one and it was donated to me, donations are awesome! :
#14 of 16 Old 03-17-2005, 12:35 PM

I don't have any advice because I am a pretty horrible seamstress but I just wanted to say that the dipes look great!!
#15 of 16 Old 03-17-2005, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Now that I've looked at the pic again, I realize what you did, misunderstood before. It seems that the lastin is just too far from the edge, so it's making a ruffle like would happen on overlocked dipes. Unfortunately the only idea I have is to move the opening so that you can stitch the lastin right on the seam allowance before you turn it. Whenever you topstitch a knit on the cross grain it's gonna stretch out unless you ease it in. Try practicing on scraps and you'll get better at it

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#16 of 16 Old 03-17-2005, 09:55 PM

On my front closing aplix diapers I leave about 3" open on the top of the front panel open for turning. I sew the aplix to only the outer layer first before sewing the layers together. I sew the elastic (lastin or braided) to the back seam allowance just like I do on the legs. After turning, I fold in the seam allowance on the front panel and topstitch it closed as I am topstitching the whole diaper. I sew about 1/8" from the edge on the front panel, 1/4" on the wings and 1/2" around the elastic.

As for AIOs, I do all mine, even my super leakproof daycare diapers, with an absorbent inner fabric rather than fleece or suedecloth. I do true AIOs and pockets both, with cotton fleece, velour or flannel on the inside. I topstitch them all the way around or sometimes use FOE on the edges. No leaks, no wicking (unless the diaper is totally saturated and should have been changed anyway).

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page