Can you laminate your own fabric? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-24-2005, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have tried to search the web for how to laminate your own fabric (make you own PUL) but I can't find anything.

Thanks
#2 of 10 Old 03-24-2005, 04:46 PM

You can, through a company called Fabrite. But the best way is through coops. I believe Cutie Bunz has one going on now. It costs about $4.00 a yd, and there is a 2 yd minimum.
#3 of 10 Old 03-25-2005, 01:05 AM

Linky?
#4 of 10 Old 03-25-2005, 12:35 PM

Oops! Here you go- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CutieBunzCo-ops/ She has to have the fabric by April 15th.
#5 of 10 Old 02-13-2006, 07:34 PM

i did a search on make your own pul. your thread came up and with further searching i found something useful. hope its not too late. there's an article in hgtv.com about laminating fabrics yourself using iron on vinyl which is stretchy and breathable. i am going to try it out. heres the site, with resources:http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_fabrics_...374296,00.html good luck hope you can still use the info.
#6 of 10 Old 02-13-2006, 08:00 PM

very helpful!! thx!

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#7 of 10 Old 02-14-2006, 05:43 PM

tell me how it works, I was thinking about doing this myself, if it doesn't work out, you could always make it into a bib!
#8 of 10 Old 02-17-2006, 04:02 AM

I mentioned this to my neighbor and she seemed to get an aire of "supreme" about her. She said that for diapers this would be absolutely wasteful and stupid (basically) because it wasn't professionally done. That it wouldn't be as good in quality "because you know, diapers get used a lot. this type of thing would likely be better for things like table cloths".

Do you think this? I mean... just because something costs more and is proffessional... does it mean it's better? Would laminating fabric this way in any way, LOWER the quality of a diaper?

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#9 of 10 Old 02-17-2006, 12:25 PM

I've never seen this product so can only say what I would *think*. I'd wonder about the durability of it and how it would survive so many washings and dryings. It wouldn't hurt to try though. What would you lose besides a bit of time?

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#10 of 10 Old 02-17-2006, 01:49 PM

If you go to the website where they sell the iron on vinyl http://www.thermoweb.com/./cpd-shop-..._on_vinyl.html . It says that you have to hand wash it AND do touch up ironing after each wash. Plus it costs $10 to laminate a 36x34 piece of fabric, You're better off just buying from OSDS or any other diaper fabric retailer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page