What make/model sewing machine do you own? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-29-2005, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been lurking here and doing research to try and determine what kind of sewing machine I want to buy. I had no idea there were 100's of different models to choose from! There was one, a Husqvarna Designer SE model that is just amazing, but for $5,000, it SHOULD be amazing! :LOL

Anyhow, it would really help me out if you could tell me what make/model of sewing machine you use and whether you love it, like it, etc. I've read reviews from people who LOVE Kenmore and others who hate them....but I doubt they're referring to the same model of machine. It's great if someone likes Singer brand sewing machines, but which particular model are they raving about, ya know? :LOL I need help in narrowing my search down and I would be SO grateful for your help!

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 03-30-2005, 02:55 AM

Well, I'm really happy with my Kenmore 158 right now. I like it because it has all metal parts, and I've heard that Kenmores just don't break down. (I mean, I'm sure they do, but they're known for being really sturdy machines.) I haven't really had mine for a very long time, but I feel good knowing that the inside parts are metal. I heard Singers were really good til they started using plastic parts, which is why I didn't go with a newer model. Kenmores are made by the same company that makes Vikings, and they're a lot cheaper, and basically the same machine, another reason I chose a Kenmore. That's about all I can tell you.
#3 of 19 Old 03-30-2005, 05:57 AM

I have a Pfaff InStyle. It is a special model (limited edition?), but it is very similar to the Pfaff Select 1536. It is a basic model, but Pfaff is a very high quality brand. I wanted a machine I could use for years and expect it to last. It was around $600. I like it alot. It can sew through really thick fabrics and multiple layers and still run smoothly with no hesitation. It doesn't have all the features I would like to have (automatic needle threading, automatic button holes, more stitches), but I am considering it my workhorse. I couldn't afford to spend more at the time. If I want fancy features later, I can always get a lower-quality machine to do the only rarely used decorative stitches, buttonholes, etc. for cheaper than I could have bought a Pfaff with all the upgrades.
#4 of 19 Old 03-30-2005, 06:38 AM

I have a white jeans machine and a babylock serger.
I can't wait to retire them both.
#5 of 19 Old 03-30-2005, 11:49 AM

You need to think about what you want to do with the machine realistically and go from there. And, my opinion is that you should grow into your machine. Don't shortchange yourself by getting just the basics if you hope to some day use a few fancy stitches because when "someday" comes you may not have the money to upgrade the machine.
I have the Designer 2 by Husqvarna Viking and a super fancy 10 thread serger. I doubt I will be trading in my machines anytime soon. Heck, I'm afraid to even thread the serger :LOL But, I have an at home business and need these machines.
There are lots of wonderful machines out there in all price ranges. You don't need the most expensive one although the Designer ESS would be nice :
#6 of 19 Old 03-30-2005, 06:32 PM

I primarily sew with my vintage Kenmore 1802. I've got a portable White machine that I bought in the early 1990s but it breaks down so often I really don't use it unless I need to sew something very narrow as it has the arm sleeve thingy and my Kenmore is a cabinet model.

--Kari
#7 of 19 Old 03-30-2005, 08:48 PM

I have a Singer 2662 that is almost 2 years old that I can't wait to replace! I bought it because it was on sale and I was tired of researching. It's really user friendly and easy to thread but it doesn't sew through thick fabrics or layers very easily. I also have constant problems with the bobbin and the thread tension...but that could just be me!
My advice is not to rush into a purchase, research!
#8 of 19 Old 03-30-2005, 09:03 PM

i have my mom's old 1973 viking. it is in need of a tune-up at the moment but i got one a few years ago and it was good to go. they don't make things like they used to.

i'm kind of scared of my sewing machine now though...i sewed my finger a few years ago (i'm SO embarassed to say). i hate admitting it
#9 of 19 Old 03-31-2005, 04:36 AM

I have a Kenmore 158 and love it. It's all metal and is just a true workhorse. I'm currently sewing soakers that have one layer of 14 ounce sherpa, four layers of double napped flannel and two layers of birdseye. It doesn't hesitate at all.. it's awesome!
#10 of 19 Old 04-02-2005, 04:41 AM

Add me to the all-metal Green Kenmore 158 club!
I also have a minilock serger and a Juki MO-134 serger.
#11 of 19 Old 04-03-2005, 12:19 AM

Oh, jstar-your poor lil finger! (sorry, but I laughed when I read it : ) OK, so I must have the oldest sewing machine here! Mine is an OLD singer, the king that is attached to it's own table. I checked the singer site and it said that it was made in the 50's! Still works great, even though it doesn't have any fancy stitches, does what I need it to do. I also have an older (70's-ish) babylock serger that is a workhorse.
#12 of 19 Old 04-03-2005, 11:01 PM

I have a Pfaff Sewing machine, it's the "Life Style" they don't make anymore. Wouldn't trade it for any other machine I also have a Pfaff serger, again wouldn't trade it for any other brand. And a Brother ULT 2003D embroidery machine(same as babylock ellageo III) I haven't sewn with it yet, just embroidery, but so far I love it as well
#13 of 19 Old 04-06-2005, 10:36 AM

I have a Pfaff 7570. I 90% love it. Mostly I don't care for the dealer I bought it from and I know I could be getting more out of it if he was better.

If you are on a tight budget, I'd suggest an older (metal parts) machine. If a machine does not WORK well, it won't be any FUN.

DO NOT waste your money on a cheap walmart machine. Even if you are only going to be sewing a little bit. Everyone I know who has one has trouble with tension and fine tuning.

If you're spending a lot of money on a new machine, get to know the dealer. Find someone you're really comfortable with.
Don't make my mistake
#14 of 19 Old 04-06-2005, 02:42 PM

I have a singer that is not at all fancy & about 30 yrs old. It will sew through just about anything, and the only problem I've ever had with it is that it can't do fancier stitches (like a 3 step zigzag, say). I also have a brother that I got at a garage sale for 2$ (!!) seems to work fine & is rather powerful, but I'm keeping it around mostly for back up.
#15 of 19 Old 04-06-2005, 04:04 PM

Another thing to like about the 40 year old Kenmores...you can STILL get parts for them! I know this because last night I snapped my "attachment plate" - the little aluminum bugger that sits between the feed dogs and is reversible for straight stitch vs wide stitches - and we ordered one from Sears the same night.

Part number 39 in this pic.
http://www3.sears.com/Paul/Leadimage...titleID=00001&

www.partsdirect.com
#16 of 19 Old 04-06-2005, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaluv321
OK, so I must have the oldest sewing machine here! Mine is an OLD singer, the king that is attached to it's own table. I checked the singer site and it said that it was made in the 50's!
NOPE! Mine is older, I have a 1938 Singer, it was my Grandmothers, I got it when she passed on. It at one time was a treadle machine, and I have the manual that advertises the "new" motor and light--sew at night and rest your legs-- too funny! That motor was put on, and the machine works like a champ! It is very reliable, but only goes forward and back, oh well.
I also have a 1991 Singer serger that my aunt gave me. And I just decided to buy the Husqvarna-Viking prelude 360, 3 weeks ago.
I perfer to sew for my own pleasure, and do a lot of quilting, so in buying any sewing machine it is best to buy what you are going to use it for. All metal moving parts are definately a PLUS! And if you go cheap, you will regret it! I talked to a woman who worked at Wal-Mart and was a seamstress as well, who made wedding dresses, and she said even if you do moderate sewing you will run down a $150 Wal-Mart machine within two years. But for the occasional hemming, and decorative stuff, it should be fine, but if you plan on using it more than once every few weeks, get a better machine.
So far I LOVE the viking, especially after using a single stitch 60 yr old machine for 15 years!
Good luck and happy sewing machine buying---Oh btw, most stores will let you take a machine for a test run before you buy!
Donna
#17 of 19 Old 04-07-2005, 01:20 PM

Just a thought - I know the sewing machine shops around here sell old machines like mine for about the price of a major cleaning (50-100$). If you aren't sure what your needs are, maybe getting a cheaper but still strong machine would be a good solution until you figure out just how much of a machine you need, kwim?
#18 of 19 Old 04-21-2005, 01:31 AM

I have a Singer 4525 that cost about $150 in 1989. It's pretty junk-y and DH keeps to get me a new one (a nice - the kind that costs as much as a computer, but I keep resisting). My machine has really served me just fine for many years. It does what I need it to and the bobbin and casing are only a little cranky.

I also have a Singer from the 50's in the cabinet at Mom's. It will be mine whenever I can truck it from the coast to the middle of the country. It sews like a DREAM! It sewed a LOT for me when I was in college. I'd love to bring it back here. Mom never sewed and it belonged to my grandmother the seamstress.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#19 of 19 Old 04-21-2005, 10:12 AM

I have a Singer 1525.
I just got mine a week ago...and I am a newbie sewer, totally!
So far I like it...but then again haven't done a whole lot with it....just a few recycled butt sweaters and hems at this point.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page