Getting out smoke smells from used diapers... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-08-2005, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont really know where else to put this...so if this isnt the right forum please move it....I just need some experienced advice in this one.

I recently got a few used CD from another mama and I LOVE THEM...but the only problem is they have a really heavy cigarette smoke smell IN them that I can;t get out. I have washed them FOUR times and they have spent an entire day out in the sun/air...but they are still retaining the smell. I am not due until May so I have some time, but I really want to get the smell out without ruining them.

Any suggestions?
#2 of 5 Old 04-08-2005, 06:13 PM

I've yet to find anything to wash out the smell, most stuff just masks it kwim? Did you try adding vinegar to the wash? If you have time, and patience :LOL just airing them out. I know you said you've had them out already but I've found it took a few days. Mind this was for clothing I got from mil's house not diapers...Cigarette smoke makes me so mad

hth

mum to a crew...
#3 of 5 Old 04-08-2005, 06:39 PM

Maybe try adding a little baking soda to your wash? That might help absorb some of the smell. Good luck, I got some from eBay that smelled like smoke really bad. Kind of made me feel bad for the kid that wore them, he must be exposed to a whole lot of 2nd hand smoke for his diapers to smell that bad!
#4 of 5 Old 04-08-2005, 06:50 PM

My only thoughts would be Sportswash, baking soda as mentioned above. Maybe Oxyclean or TTO? Stuff that comes from FIL I have to wash before because of that reason... Sometiems I soak overnight in oxyclean AND baking soda and that helps dh clothes when he has been around fil
#5 of 5 Old 04-10-2005, 02:46 PM

We once left some diapers at my FIL's (very very smoky) house for about 6 months. OMG did they stink like smoke when we finally got them back. I was very happy that after just a couple of washes (we soak them for a long time and also add vinegar at the final rinse) they didn't smell like smoke any more. I would also second the suggestion of using some baking soda or sportwash (from Walmart) and trying that. Yuck. Good luck!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page