Scrapbooking Thread!! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2006, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice, Tracy! I love the Amazing Girl LO!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2006, 07:47 PM

Bearsmama, can you be more specific? When I hand journal, I often just write directly on the page in any blank space I have. Or, I'll cut a rectangle to just the right size and use that as my guideline. Usually I just use my own handwriting but sometimes I look at a fancy font and try to copy it.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 08-06-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs Mom
Bearsmama, can you be more specific? When I hand journal, I often just write directly on the page in any blank space I have. Or, I'll cut a rectangle to just the right size and use that as my guideline. Usually I just use my own handwriting but sometimes I look at a fancy font and try to copy it.
Well I know that I would LIKE to use journaling boxes (ya know the ones with lines on them already so it isn't crooked?) but I don't know where to get them so I end up writing on the paper and it gets all crooked and that just bothers me... LOL but I'm a perfectionist....

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
Old 08-07-2006, 02:15 AM

Ambrose-I've never seen the journalling boxes. They sound really cool. I'll have to look through some of my scrapbook mags and look for them. Dang, I was just at AC Moore this weekend! I bet they have 'em.

Megs-Thank you. I guess I was just trying to see if other people do something exciting with their journalling. I do exactly what you do-I write on the page, or I might do like a little call-out box that stands out a bit from the rest of the page.

Happy scrappin'! Gtg to bed now.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:19 AM

Creative Memories sells journaling boxes. I love them! I like having the lines to write on. It makes the page look much neater and it makes me less nervous writing in my own handwriting!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:23 AM

Here are my scrapbook pics. I tried the no flash/good lightning thing... I don't think I had good lightning...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...hia/scrapbook/

I dont have a digi (someone was going to mail me one through the RAOK thread, but she crapped out on a swap she was partaking in as well as in sending the digi cam to me (it was a real old one I guess but worked fine and etc... hey, it's better than nothin') :-(

So anyways, I had to use a kodak disposie cam and get it developed. So it's not like I could really pick which ones I liked and redo them at no cost.

Hopefully one day I'll get a digi cam and be able to take pix and upload them right away....

Old 08-07-2006, 10:46 AM

Thanks, Stacey. I have a CM consultant nearby-who I've only bought a few things from over the past year or so. Maybe I'll check her out again to pick up the journalling boxes.

Ambrose-I'll have to check out the link to your pics when I have more time.

For now, though, I have a silly question (yet another one!): I do my pages usually right onto patterned paper, or heavierweight paper that comes in packs. Should I always be using cardstock as my base? IYKWIM? So far, this has worked just fine. But I'm sure the pages would be easier to insert into the sleeves if I used cardstock all the time. Can you tell me what you guys do??? Thanks.

I'll check back in later.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:02 AM

I don't have a printer so I only hand journal too. I sometimes do "hidden journaling" on a pull out tag. That way I don't have to be super neat, kwim? I have found that I'm pickier than I should be though and I've been journaling right on the page itself lately. Years to come I'm sure my kids aren't going to think "Wow, mom's writing sucked" LOL!

You can also just cut a coordinating piece of cardstock and write on that and then adhere it too. Make your own journaling block. So much cheaper!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 PM

Ambrose~here's a thought about lined journal boxes, how about 3x5" recipe cards? I've seen them in different colors too as well as the bigger size. Then you could also cut them into shapes while still having the lines. (that's what a CM consultant told our group - ssshhh)

Bearsmama~ I do the same thing, using thinner weight paper. Do you put them in plastic protector page thingys? I'd think they'd be fine. Some of mine are cardstock but mostly just the thin pattern type.

Here's my gripe of the day. At JoAnn's a while back I bought some albums, they were $9.99 on sale half price.....good deal right? Well the stupid plastic protectors don't lay flat when you try to turn the pages, so they bunch up in the middle, make sense? With heavier paper they are even worse.
I bought three of these darn things. : It's too late to take them back, not that I have the receipt anymore. gggrrr
Old 08-08-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmama
Thanks, Stacey. I have a CM consultant nearby-who I've only bought a few things from over the past year or so. Maybe I'll check her out again to pick up the journalling boxes.

For now, though, I have a silly question (yet another one!): I do my pages usually right onto patterned paper, or heavierweight paper that comes in packs. Should I always be using cardstock as my base? IYKWIM? So far, this has worked just fine. But I'm sure the pages would be easier to insert into the sleeves if I used cardstock all the time. Can you tell me what you guys do??? Thanks.

The CM journaling boxes are really neat! I'm totally addicted to them! They come in packs with coordinating precut paper and various size boxes to make it super easy. It would be cheaper to buy paper either patterned or lined and cut it yourself but I'm all about simplicity when it comes to scrapbooking!

As for the cardstock I guess it doesn't matter..I just use the sheets because they seem sturdier and hold up to children's hands better. But I don't use whole sheets of paper very often!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose
Well I know that I would LIKE to use journaling boxes (ya know the ones with lines on them already so it isn't crooked?) but I don't know where to get them so I end up writing on the paper and it gets all crooked and that just bothers me... LOL but I'm a perfectionist....
Stampin' Up! sells a stamp that has lines to write on.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:

I tend to use cardstock so it is more durable and easier to insert, like you said. If I have patterned paper I like, I'll glue it to a plain white or black piece of cardstock.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 AM

Hi everyone
I am brand-new to scrapbooking, but I'm anxious to get started.
I bought some 12x12 paper and have a few scrapbooks.. that's about it so far
I suppose I should get some cardstock to make borders around my pictures, right?
I have sooo much to get done, but I think it will be fun and I will feel good about getting all of our pictures organized
I will be hanging around to learn from all of you expert scrapbookers!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 08-09-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie29
Can anyone give some info on photo editing programs? I was thinking of getting photoshop. Do you recommend it? Are different versions available?
Hi Rosie, I just wanted to jump in and say that Creative Memories has photo software now, and it's only $40. I haven't personally used it because it's only PC compatible and I'm a MAC girl, but I have heard a lot of positive feedback about it. It has many of the same editing features as Photoshop, but is much more user friendly and is geared toward scrapbookers. You can do an online tutorial at the CM website. You can also find a consultant there if you don't have one.

(I am a consultant and maybe I'm not supposed to post this because it will be seen as self-promoting, but I just wanted to let you know there is a cheaper option out there! I have also been told you can do some photo editing/manipulation on photo processing websites such as Winkflash, Snapfish, etc.)

Memory Manager Software

I'm fairly new here - if I need to remove the link please let me know!!

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

Old 08-09-2006, 10:37 AM

Thanks, Analisa I think I've used cardstock like you've mentioned a few times, but lately I've just been using patterned paper. And YES, it is harder to insert!: Like, duh, right?! I wass wondering why it was so difficult to get into the sleeves. Also, I'm sure starting to use cardstock all the time as my "base" will make the pages more durable.

More when I can. Thanks for all the inspiration and suggestions, ladies.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:28 AM

So... is anyone wanting to sign up for that *hopefully* scrapbooking swap in the Swap forum?

They're looking for interest....

Old 08-11-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz
Creative Memories sells journaling boxes. I love them! I like having the lines to write on. It makes the page look much neater and it makes me less nervous writing in my own handwriting!
I've got some of these too. While I also journal by hand and on the computer, these are nice for a change of pace and fun to add embellishments to as well.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs Mom
Stampin' Up! sells a stamp that has lines to write on.
Gotta love it. I use this all the time because it allows you to be so creative with your journalling. And the coolest thing is that on most paper, if you stamp the journalling lines with a tinted embossing pad, you can write on the lines and then they'll be invisible when they dry! Then it just looks like you can write perfectly straight!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 08-11-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans
Hi everyone
I am brand-new to scrapbooking, but I'm anxious to get started.
I bought some 12x12 paper and have a few scrapbooks.. that's about it so far
I suppose I should get some cardstock to make borders around my pictures, right?
I have sooo much to get done, but I think it will be fun and I will feel good about getting all of our pictures organized
I will be hanging around to learn from all of you expert scrapbookers!
Welcome to the best addiction ever!!

- Krista

Old 08-12-2006, 08:05 AM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=496509

People who have MDC Swap Board Access... -points up- lookie lookie!!

Old 08-12-2006, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
Gotta love it. I use this all the time because it allows you to be so creative with your journalling. And the coolest thing is that on most paper, if you stamp the journalling lines with a tinted embossing pad, you can write on the lines and then they'll be invisible when they dry! Then it just looks like you can write perfectly straight!
That's a good idea. Also I was at my LSS the other day and they had a pen that you can draw the lines with and then they disappear within a few days. neat idea. Or you can just draw lightly with pencil and erase when done.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth
Hi Rosie, I just wanted to jump in and say that Creative Memories has photo software now, and it's only $40.
Thanks for the info! I'll look into it some more.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:38 PM

I just found this thread. I haven't been scrapbooking regularly, but a friend of mine recently became a creative memories consultant and is going to host regular scrapbooking nights so I hope to do more.

I just finished my first 12x12 album...it spans several years but towards the end of the album is the time when I got my first digital camera, so I'll never be able to squeeze so many years into another album again, haha.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:25 PM

Hi, PJ, welcome! You just hit 1000 posts!

Old 08-18-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama
I just found this thread. I haven't been scrapbooking regularly, but a friend of mine recently became a creative memories consultant and is going to host regular scrapbooking nights so I hope to do more..
I love CM, that's all I use. A dear friend of mine is a consultant, so we gather monthly, sometimes twice a month to scrap. I am just about one year behind.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:10 PM

My friend who recently became a consultant had hre first get together on Friday night. I didn't bring anything because I am between albums, it was at night, it was her first one, bla bla bla. But I did end up buying some things! And since she's going to do this regularly, I'm going to bring work next time.

Oh, and I seriously covet the power layout box. I want one soooo bad.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:07 PM

the power layout box is really cool...I do't use it bcuz I'm not that organized, but my friend uses it and really likes it. We actually got together last night to crop & I got 10 pages done!!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:25 PM

I may have missed this, but what is the Power Layout box???? Curious over here.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I may have missed this, but what is the Power Layout box???? Curious over here.
Power Layouts Kit

Old 09-04-2006, 08:00 PM

How exactly does that Power layout thing WORK though?

On another note, last night I printed of dang near 100 photos on photo paper for DD's scrap book. I'm sure I won't use them ALL for it, but I still have more that I need to print!! Granted some of these are pics that will be going in her 2nd year album, well a lot really.

Actually, that brings me to a question.

What do you consider the first year album? birth to 1 yr birthday or birth to 2nd year birthday? My friend considers it up to 2nd yr birthday. But I'm not sure...

User Tag List