Scrapbooking Thread!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 529 Old 09-11-2005, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just poking around here for inspiration...AC Moore is having a "Moonlight Madness" sale and I have a 25% off my purchase coupon and I am going to supplement my scrapbook supplies Any suggestions?? I definitely need some adhesive of some sort and some funky papers...maybe some stickers. This could be dangerous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 529 Old 09-11-2005, 07:15 PM

I almost always use discount coupons for things I use a lot of, and quickly, like adhesive. Unless I have a specific project in mind, I tend not to use the papers/stickers/embellishments I buy, and they just accumulate and take up space. I hate that!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#183 of 529 Old 09-11-2005, 07:21 PM

I just made some 6x6 pages for my little boy~
colors olive, outdoor denim, indian corn blue and desert sand

I wanted a really meaningful album for him, so I block stamped to look like his baby quilt, and added the grass paper (from the wild adventure kit) it reminds me of the beatles song- mother natures son, which reminds me of his birth.

embellished with outdoor denim eyelets, silver ribbon and a tag
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sunpha...e0.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sunpha...63.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sunpha...67.jpg&.src=ph

now I am doing another 6x6 with pink and black-its coming out SO darn cute!

~mama to some wonderful kids
#184 of 529 Old 09-11-2005, 07:27 PM

Stacey, gorgeous! Don't you just love that proud-of-your-own-creativity feeling?

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#185 of 529 Old 09-12-2005, 12:23 AM

Analisa-Thank you. I feel like I'm still feeling my way around this scrapbooking thing. And I'm just so interested to know what the best tools are so I can then let loose and be as creative as I want to be. Oh, is the paper trimmer like a gadget-thing, or just scissors? I guess I'm confused b/c I see these really wonderful pages in mags or online and they look so precise. Like the pics were cut with something special. Right now I'm just using plain 'ol scissors. :

Thanks again for all the creative inspiration, mamas!
#186 of 529 Old 09-18-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmama
Analisa-Thank you. I feel like I'm still feeling my way around this scrapbooking thing. And I'm just so interested to know what the best tools are so I can then let loose and be as creative as I want to be. Oh, is the paper trimmer like a gadget-thing, or just scissors? I guess I'm confused b/c I see these really wonderful pages in mags or online and they look so precise. Like the pics were cut with something special. Right now I'm just using plain 'ol scissors. :

Thanks again for all the creative inspiration, mamas!
Hands down the best cutting system is from Creative Memories..Look up a consultant in your area and get it..it's fantastic!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#187 of 529 Old 09-18-2005, 11:06 PM

I have fallen in love with Creative Memories photo mounting paper and journaling sheets..They're here:

http://www.creativememories.com/Prod...9697&igid=1045

Does anyone know if someone else has something similar? It's basically just precut paper good for mounting photos and journaling boxes..I've gotten all the packs from CM but I need more colors..Thanks!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#188 of 529 Old 09-18-2005, 11:28 PM

Stacey-Thank you! I'm assuming that I can only buy this through a CM person??? Things just don't look the same using the 'ol scissors, of course. Wow, I am learning so much. Now, I just have to get organized and all this positive scrapbooking energy can be put to good use.
#189 of 529 Old 09-18-2005, 11:34 PM

Stacey-Can you tell me which system exactly that you use from CM? I'm checking out a local rep's website and under tools there are a bunch of trimmers listed. Thanks.
#190 of 529 Old 09-18-2005, 11:44 PM

For the cutting system look under:

Tools, cropping and the Custom cutting system. All the products are in fact the best hands down. I do agree. When I nought mine it was made in the us, I do not know if that is still the case.

The 12 inch straight trimmer is the best. They also have a wavy trimmer in this same style but I look the old system better for that.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#191 of 529 Old 09-19-2005, 01:08 AM

For the cutting system I have the personal trimmer which is my favorite scrapbooking tool by far!! I also have the 12 inch trimmer, the mat, the blades and the shape cutters (circles and ovals).

I went to a crop and my consultant told me they just put together a new package to make buying the system more affordable. It looked like a great deal!

I don't use all CM stuff but I love their cutting system..Good luck and welcome to the addiction!!!

#192 of 529 Old 09-19-2005, 01:46 AM

Hi everyone- I am getting into this now..

I have gotten a lot of random stuff from making my wedding invations and my favors (lots of stamps- paper- an eyelet setter thing- a good paper cutter and lots of embossing stuff) and I got a scrapbook for the wedding...

I want to make one for DS too as I never did the 'baby book' thing- but I would love to store some of the million pictures I take somewhere..

I just got a digital cam. cell phone (as did hubby) so we will have so many more pics now.. I am really excited to get started. I found a CM's wahm so I will be ordering from her- and resisting the urge to go to micheals... even when they have 50% off (ok so maybe I will go in there once in a while when it is 50% off lol)

anyways just wanted to say hi- I will try to let you all know how I am doing and ask advice here- I don't know any IRL scrapbooking friends
#193 of 529 Old 09-19-2005, 10:57 AM

Welcome Heather!

I bet once you get started you find many IRL croppers just waiting to be found.

I made a book out of my wedding proofs several years ago.

I can understand the need to resist going to Michaels or any of the craft stores. Before going make a list of what you would like to do first. Like you said- you want to make a wedding album so you would need a white or black or color them of your wedding book, then some add ons that would make it fun.

I have noticed that I do not like sets of things in the craft stores. I always use only about 25% of the set and then end up handing them off to someone else.

If you're going to do lettering- the best is the CM letters stickers.

I also recommend signing up for a "crop" either w a CM consultnant, a local scrapbk store, or check w church etc.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#194 of 529 Old 09-20-2005, 01:43 PM

Maybe not as precise or good looking as using the CM trimming thingy, but, at Walmart(prob other places as well) they had a stencil set. Ovals, squares, circles....trace onto your picture then cut with scissors.
My group of friends, get together once/month, only TWO have the CM thingy, one didn't come on Fri and the other just came to visit & chat. :LOL WE had to cut our pictures with the stencil method!! Usually we are fighting over the trimmer!

How can I use some funky fibery looking papers I got in the scrap swap???
#195 of 529 Old 09-20-2005, 07:12 PM

I've added some Halloween page kits to my site for any of you who like printables. They are free, of course! If you like them you can e-mail me. I make way more than I can put on my site, but will gladly e-mail them to you. Just be sure to put something in the subject tha doesn't make it look like spam! My e-mail addy is on the web site.

http://www.geocities.com/meghanwyant...Scrapbook.html
#196 of 529 Old 09-21-2005, 05:59 AM

Stacey and Meg, your pages are wonderful!
Quote:
How can I use some funky fibery looking papers I got in the scrap swap???
Are you talking about mulberry paper? I love it. I use the cotton swab technique they describe. I've seen some adorable 'tear bears' made from mulberry paper on ebay. Here's one: http://cgi.ebay.com/That-Face-Tear-B...QQcmdZViewItem
(if you go to the scrapbooking category on ebay and type on 'tear bear' you'll get a few hundred hits - I just chose one which was up the top).
I sometimes use brads to fix vellum journalling blocks over mulberry paper - it looks really effective. I usually do a vertical journalling block over a horizontal mulberry paper block the same size, so that both are shown off.
#197 of 529 Old 09-22-2005, 11:03 AM

Gotta love the statement in the mulberry paper article "if you're not fond of putting items of unknown origin in your mouth..."
Guess the author never had a kid had you some candy, slightly damp!!!

Great links, thank you. Yes, it is mulberry. So pretty! (thank you swapping friend )
#198 of 529 Old 09-22-2005, 07:57 PM

Yes, I had a giggle about that too ... I'd never thought of putting the mulberry paper in my mouth (unknown origin or not) until then - probably because a cotton swab gives me a thin line which I can direct wherever I want. And then there's the possibility that I'd be walking around with mulberry strands hanging out the sides of my lips
#199 of 529 Old 09-22-2005, 09:19 PM

How much journaling does everyone do??

I am curious since I usually just do captions but sometimes I will do some journaling on those little boxes but usually I just give those away at a crop during "swap".

Also-
What have you gotten on swap and giving away on swap?

#200 of 529 Old 09-23-2005, 10:24 AM

Amy~ I have gotten such generous pkgs from the swap! tons of papers, stickers, alphabets, ribbon, the great mulberry papers, some mats, lots of die cuts......
I think I should've put more in the pkgs I sent out

Watch co-ops & swaps because it'll get done agin I'm sure. Right now there is a layout swap.

I don't do a lot of journaling either, captions, titles, dates.....from our great vacation a few yrs ago I did more journaling just because it was such a special place for me. We always went to NH to my gramma's and I spent a few summers there when my mom was sick and passed away. It was sooo much fun to take my kids the same places I used to go !!! Even though things were different-that small little town now has a McDonalds! :LOL
#201 of 529 Old 09-23-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
How much journaling does everyone do??

I am curious since I usually just do captions but sometimes I will do some journaling on those little boxes but usually I just give those away at a crop during "swap".

Also-
What have you gotten on swap and giving away on swap?
I'm really trying to journal more..DS's first year album has no journaling in it..I need to go back and journal in it..

I think it's really really impt to journal a bit..Not tons, but describe the event, what happened, etc..I look at it this way..In 100 years I will be dead and my great great grandchildren will hopefully have this in their hands. They will not know where we were, why we went there, what we did, how we felt etc..So I try to write it all down!!

#202 of 529 Old 09-24-2005, 10:25 PM

How much journaling do I do? Not much. But there are blank journal blocks on a lot of my pages, waiting for me to find inspiration and fill them in! I write a caption on about 60% of my pages and journal the rest (actually I lied, I've got a couple of pages with neither a caption or journaling). My journal blocks range from 3 or 4 sentences to 3 or 4 paragraphs.

I was looking for some twine at the newsagency yesterday and got a great bargain - they had all of their old scrapbooking magazines on clearance for $3 (they're usually $10). I only got 3, but they're packed with great ideas. I've already plagiarised a few - usually I sit there twiddling my fingers, trying to decide how to lay the page out, but yesterday I got heaps done, just copying the ideas and layouts straight from the magazine. I made a few changes, of course, but the general idea is there.

Is that cheating?
#203 of 529 Old 09-25-2005, 11:08 PM

Hi,
On your suggestion, I purchased the CM trimmer (the straight-edge personal trimmer thing). I am so excited to use it. Now, to find the time between other responsibilities. I also really liked the 12x12 trimmer. The one I got is the little guy for trimming pics. I think I'm in trouble here... I might need more gadgets. :LOL
#204 of 529 Old 09-25-2005, 11:17 PM

I just use my Fiskar's 12" trimmer for everything. I don't like to have lots of specialty gadgets.

#205 of 529 Old 09-25-2005, 11:25 PM

megsmom-I used to be a little put off by scrapbooking b/c of all the gadgets or specialty things that it seemed I needed to just do my own thing. But now I realize-just for me-that having a few, good trimmers, might actually encourage me to do more scrapbooking. Which is what I want to do. I don't think my DH would be too happy if my newest hobby involved buying too much.
#206 of 529 Old 09-25-2005, 11:31 PM

#207 of 529 Old 09-25-2005, 11:54 PM

I think the personal trimmer and the 12 inch trimmer are great use all tools. You will use them tons. There are other gadgets- I agree you do not need them. I see them at crops- some people come in with gadgets upon gadgets and they are so cluttered they do not know what they have! If anything use each others tools at crops to see if its necessary to have one. Usually if a cm consultant is hosting, she will let you use her tools. Also different stores will also let you use some stuff. I have let many people use my stuff at crops and it comes back to you two fold! If I was cropping next to you, I would be happy to let you try mine a few times so you can decide if its worth the investment. I would also be honest if I thought it was or was not.

#208 of 529 Old 09-26-2005, 05:01 AM

I've got my eye on one of those deluxe Fiskars trimmers - my friend has one and I used it recently. Wow. Good stuff. I'll have to save a bit of money - they're pretty expensive (all scrapbooking supplies are mega exxy here).

Has anyone made paper bag albums? How do you protect them? They seem a bit 'fragile' (for lack of a better word) - most of my other albums have the top loading plastic sheet protectors, so I don't mind everyone flipping through them. But the paper bag albums don't have that kind of protection - and everybody seems to want to look through them as soon as they see them. I don't mind - I love showing off my stuff, but I'm worried about damage.
#209 of 529 Old 09-26-2005, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloli
Has anyone made paper bag albums?
What are these?? Anyone have a photo -- would love to check them out. They sound interesting. Thanks!!
#210 of 529 Old 10-01-2005, 06:37 PM

Hi there,

Mind if I jump in? Just started scrapbooking. A friend of mine invited me to a Creative Memories party and I decided it was time to organize dd's pictures...she'll be 3 in November :

I am going to go back to the beginning of the thread and see if I can get some good ideas.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page