Mothering Forum banner

Scrapbooking Thread!!

22K views 528 replies 92 participants last post by  rosie29 
#1 ·
Do you scrapbook? Sign in here! Tell us what you're working on and how far behind you are
!

I'm kind of an on-again off-again scrapbooker. I'm working on my son's baby scrapbook. I'm up to about week 3 of his life and he's almost 11 months old!
: However, I've done about 5-6 pages in the past week and I'm pretty proud of that.

On a related note, does anyone own a circle cutter? I just bought the Circle Cutter Deluxe by Making Memories. I haven't opened it...wanted to ask here if it's a good one.

See less See more
#152 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caloli
Has anyone else spent an embarrassing amount of money on scrapbooking materials from ebay? I tend to do most of my scrapbooking shopping online these days - it's too tough to take the kids into the scrapbooking shop. When they're asleep at night I can grab my box of photos and browse in peace. The only drawback is that you have to wait until it's delivered - usually about a week - to start using it.
yes, I have...lol. I even became a consultant just so I could get the discount...dh was not very pleased with my scrapbooking budget

#153 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by leomom
Speaking of journaling...I am just doing the same thing over and over for journaling "space"- either a tag or just a matted colored block...how/where do you guys incorporate your journaling?
I do text on the pc and print it in different fonts, also hand written...sometimes i will stamp the first word and write the rest, or hide the journaling under hinges, if its a 12x12 pg you can load an 8.5x11 cardstock or printed background paper in your printer and journal in bigger font and cut it down to 6x6 or something..no matting and just do like 4 squares on the page..., or eyelets or brads in the corners or tie it on using eyelets and string...
or journal and cover it with vellum....oh i wish we could all just get together and have a crop! lol

#154 ·
I'm obviously not in the US, but there's a group of us who get together here - we all met at a Playgroup ... we're all crunchy mamas who are obsessed with scrapbooking, so we have Scrapbooking nights where we steal each others ideas, eat lots of chocolate, have a few glasses of wine and basically don't get much scrapbooking done! It's loads of fun and I really enjoy looking at the layouts other people have come up with. If there was a private forum I'd post some of my pages, but I'm so wary about people stealing photos of my kids. I'm paranoid about it.

Perhaps we could make a private online album, and give the password to anyone who wants to participate? That way we could share our pages safely. Is anyone interested?

#155 ·
Does anyone ever have those just "blah" scrapping nights?
I went to my scrap store to crop for a couple of hours tonight and I was just OFF. I don't feel happy with anything I did. What's the best way to get out of a funk like this? I've never had this happen before...

#156 ·
Quote:

I went to my scrap store to crop for a couple of hours tonight and I was just OFF. I don't feel happy with anything I did. What's the best way to get out of a funk like this? I've never had this happen before...

aww, i pm'd you a cheer up pm
:

#157 ·
I'm just starting scrapbooking, today as a matter of fact! I have my book, some paper, (solids and assorted prints), adhesive, etc. Oh yes, and a bazillion pictures. How does one actually start such a project?! :LOL

I think this could become an obsession, like I need another one.

A question for you scrapbooking mamas:

What is hidden journaling? I'm trying to figure out a way to incorporate some of my more private thoughts into my dd's book. I'm assuming that's the point of hidden journaling. And how would you make the journal accessible if you use a page protector?

Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated. I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I start!

TIA!

#158 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadiesmom

What is hidden journaling? I'm trying to figure out a way to incorporate some of my more private thoughts into my dd's book. I'm assuming that's the point of hidden journaling. And how would you make the journal accessible if you use a page protector?

I'm interested in knowing more about this, too. One thing I am thinking of doing for a page is sticking a tag in a library pocket. Since I use page protectors, I was going to put it at the top, where it can be pulled out. However, I guess it won't be too private that way b/c anyone can pull it out..and will, I'm sure! :LOL

As far as getting started, it helped me to start with dd's life and organize the pics into months. I did about 4 pages a month for her first year...

#159 ·
Quote:

wow this thread moves!

There is a way around this. I saw it a few weeks ago with the cropper to my left, she also had an off night. I did notice she had a stack 4 inches tall of pictures, was behind on what she wanted to do, had mass amounts of supplies in front of her etc. It can be over welming. Also she had a nursling at home with one bottle of breast milk and was nervous which also contributed to the not so fun time for her.

Before going to the crop, take the photos and sort sort sort. Divide them into groups to put into pages. This should give you an idea what you need to accomplish before getting there. Then with the pictures, you should be able to know what supplies you will need. You know how many pages you can accomplish per sitting. My work starts to look tired after two completed spreads. But it takes me sometimes a few hours to do one 2 page spread. Since thats my fun for cropping, I do not mind. I have seen other people do 15 pages in one night. It may not be what I would do, but it works for them kwim? My fun is getting to the finished product, others have goals of just getting the stuff in the books and journaling.

I hope this helps

#160 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amys1st
Happy shopping!

Please please make sure the stuff from the dollar store is acid free before using!
It's actually a line of scrapbook stuff...Miss Elizabeth's. It does say acid free. 6 printed pgs/pack for $1, stickers, cute alphabets and some fancier embellishments.
I also had a CM consultant tell me the pens were great. They say archival quality but I cant go look at the brand w/o waking dd.

#162 ·
Sale Alert!

Joann has selected scrapping supplies for 40% off thru Saturday. They also have Creating Keepsakes stuff 25% off.

Hobby Lobby has scrapping albums and pages, and a couple other things 50% off.

Thought some of you would like to know this. I tend to ignore the sale flyers and end up shopping on a whim and paying full price, so it's nice to know when there's a good sale.

#167 ·
Still nursin....

Still nursing after all these years...

Slinging away!!!

Attached parents...(show parents holding baby, sleeping with baby etc)
we did this in a few spreads.

I order from Joanns website especially when I need something(tape for roller etc) - they have free ship over $25. Its actaully saves money since I do not have to go in the store and find other things to buy

I also just ordered from scrapbooking-warehouse.com

not bad and it got here in two days- the xxl scrap n style.

#170 ·
My Parents just gave me my pictures from growing up. My mom sorted them all for me and my brothers and sister. I was thinking of doing a collage spread.
Any ideas?

#171 ·
Sorry, Amy, no suggestions here.

I'm looking for some tips for using vellum. I think it's so pretty but I don't know what to do with it. I'm about to make a 2pg LO of DS's bathtime pics. I was going to put the vellum over some pics, but then I figured the pics are too cute to do that. (Seems like vellum would work well over pics that you like but are somehow flawed.)

Please, ANY hints on how you use vellum would be much appreciated!!!
TIA!

#172 ·
Amy, I'm sorry too that I don'tahve any idea for you. I am in the same boat - my mom gave me a huge box of photos from my childhood and I want to do somethig with them eventually.

Rosie - Vellum. I love it!
I don't use it much in scrapping but I have used it lots with invitations, cards, etc. A few ideas: (1) Attach a piece of vellum over some journaling (print should be dark and solid) - they make special vellum adhesive but I prefer to attach vellum with ribbon through punched holes, (2) put some journaling, words, titles, etc. on the vellum and attach vellum over a colorful patterned paper, (3) emboss or stamp or die cut the vellum and use it as you would a sticker or other decorative touch. Sorry I am not offering anything specific for a bathtime LO, I just can't come up with any specific ideas for that at the moment.

#174 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amys1st
My Parents just gave me my pictures from growing up. My mom sorted them all for me and my brothers and sister. I was thinking of doing a collage spread.
Any ideas?
Maybe a collage that looks like a quilt?

Rosie...maybe you could cut the vellum into bubbles for the bath layout...

#175 ·
subscribing!
I am an on-again, off-again scrapper. The first album I sort of completed was for my oldest son (he's 3 1/2). It was one of those kit-type things to get me started. Then, I just started one for my second son (he's one). I wanted to make sure that I had one for each of them with just them in it as much as possible. I'm also working on a family one. Someone here at MDC said something that really spurred me to get back into it. She said just start with something recent and work back when you have the time. That made me feel way less guilty about not getting to scrapbook every detail of our lives since we've had kids. I've also had another epiphany and finally realized that scrappin' can be anything you make it. I think I didn't jump fully in b/c I kept thinking it had to be something that wasn't quite me, YKWIM?

I have a few silly questions for all you veteran scrapbookers:

1) What type of adhesive do you like best? A brand reccommendation would be great, too.

2) I don't have many fancy-schmancy tools. Is there a particular gadget that you love to use to cut pictures? I just end up using my regular 4x6 prints in the same sort of positions and stuff b/c I don't have anything other than my scissors to cut with.

I am getting inspiration from all of you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.