Scrapbooking Thread!! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 529 Old 11-04-2005, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to scrap tonight! My monthly girls got it together this month, its turning into every other month! And boy do I need to get out, baby dd is miserable sick with a cold, runny nose, cough, no sleep, she even sounds hoarse.....but dh and dd's are competant and can deal for a few hours so mama doesn't go boing boing boing crazy!!!
I wish I had gotten some new pix developed but oh well....
#242 of 529 Old 11-04-2005, 08:05 PM

Thank you Analisa!!!
#243 of 529 Old 11-06-2005, 12:19 PM

What a productive night I had! 4 pages done, still need to journal and needed to check dates for one page....but woooo hoot for me!
I am feeling motivated now, need to get digital pix developed that I took of kids playing in our huge leaf pile, have some fun mats and papers to go with those.....

anyone else busy?
#244 of 529 Old 11-06-2005, 01:09 PM

I went to a crop last night and worked on an ABC book for my friend's toddler (Christmas present). I completed pages A-N....I really wanted to finish it, but I just got so tired of doing it- I had to take a break from it.

I also made an ornament for my other friend's baby's first Christmas.

And I worked on an altered lunchbox for holding recipes. It will be a wedding gift.

I'm still feeling behind and uncreative. Haven't worked on dd's scrapbook for over 2 months!
#245 of 529 Old 11-07-2005, 10:00 PM

Wow wow! I spent the weekend at a scrap retreat here: http://www.lakeshorelodgewhitney.com . It was so so awesome! Relaxing and fun and productive!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#246 of 529 Old 11-11-2005, 02:08 PM

If anyone is interested... This is the last day (Friday 11/11) to post ISO list for a Scrapping Swap in the Trading Post. So far we have a small trio of swappers - big or small group, I'm sure everyone will be pleased with the results (like a chance to get motivated and catch up on scrapping ) If you are interested in joining us please get your post in soon!

Catholic wife to S and mama to my two loveys V dd1 10/04 and G dd2 11/10 - #3 due in August 2013.  Here we go again.  homebirth.jpgwinner.jpg selectivevax.gifcd.gif

#247 of 529 Old 11-14-2005, 09:42 AM

Has this come up before and I missed it? Who orders their prints online? How do they look? I have been printing them off at home and they look OK on our printer, but I wonder how much money I am really saving? Anyone?
#248 of 529 Old 11-14-2005, 06:05 PM

I use http://www.kodakgallery.com & I'm very happy with them!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#249 of 529 Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 PM

Hi Ladies,
You're still inspiring me to try to fit scrapbooking in even when I think I can't. Still working on vacation photos from MAY and I have many more to scrap. I started this batch about 4 weeks ago! Yikes!
#250 of 529 Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 AM

Hi everyone--just wanted to introduce myself as another scrapbooker! I have been scrapbooking for about a year and am crazy about it.

Right now I am working on a mini scrapbook for my inlaws for Xmas to showcase pictures of them with their grandsons in the past year. Other pages in the works include a page of my toddler and his baseball passion, a "teddy bear picnic" we had in August, and a "pumpkin picnic" we had a couple of weeks ago. I also want to do a page with him working on his art projects. I am a little out of the habit at the moment b/c I've been knitting and sewing instead, but I can feel the pages getting ready to burst out of me again . . .
#251 of 529 Old 11-26-2005, 01:48 AM

Hi Mamas,
Have any of you had experience with Creative Memories products? I know that's probably a dumb question, but I have just started purchasing some stuff here and there from them. I really like their quality. However, I haven't taken the big leap to purchasing albums yet (not in the budget right now!). But tonight as I was working on some pages I realized that my regular album (black, fake leather-bound album from Michaels) is tearing. The plastic page protector is ripping on a bunch of pages. With the good CM albums, is there a risk of this happening, too? I'm hoping not b/c they are more expensive. What's been your experience? TIA
#252 of 529 Old 11-26-2005, 07:48 PM

I think CM quality is generally fine. I'm not a big fan b/c I find most of their stuff too simplistic for my style, but that's personal preference and I doubt the albums would disappoint you.

#253 of 529 Old 11-26-2005, 09:22 PM

Thanks, Analisa. You know, I've found their stuff, including their sample pages of layouts and such, to be very simplistic, too. But I guess it's okay with me b/c some scrapbook stuff can be a little intimidating to a newbie like myself. I think my personal style is evoloving, but I'd imagine that I'd fall somewhere between the desire to be really creative and the simple, straightforward look of CM stuff. Btw, have I mentioned your layouts are really lovely??
#254 of 529 Old 11-27-2005, 06:55 PM

Oh, how kind of you, thank you so much.

I think a lot of people start out with CM and then move beyond it. It definitely has a place!

#255 of 529 Old 11-27-2005, 10:03 PM

Analisa and other veterans: How do you organize your stuff? I've seen people do it various ways, and I'm wondering what works for you. Even a semi-newbie like me has a ton of stuff just piling up. Actually, right now, most of it is tucked away in an old dresser. Do any of you use those organizing carts or suitcase-y type things??? TIA
#256 of 529 Old 11-28-2005, 01:27 PM

It feels so wierd to be called a veteran!

I got most of my organizing ideas from Scrapper's Challenge. Basically, though, I have stickers and die cuts grouped by category in two PSBs; papers on wire cubes from Target; small embellishments in a tackle box; and photos in a CM power sorter. It took me a *long* time to get this organized but it sure is nice to know what I have and where to find it...I also purge frequently, I hate being overwhelmed by "stuff" - although I do still have a lot.

#257 of 529 Old 11-28-2005, 06:12 PM

Thank you, Analisa. Btw, what's PSB??? Great suggestions. I've considered that Power Sort thing from CM, but I was wondering if others thought it was worth it??? I have most of my photos in those showbox organizers. But right now, that's not working so great. Like, where do I put the negatives?

Okay, as an aside-I thought I was "bitten" by the scrapbook bug a while back. But now I've been REALLY bitten. I want to scrapbook everything!
#258 of 529 Old 11-29-2005, 02:58 AM

okay; I am officially excited! I started reading a couple hours ago and after the first 4 pages, I went and did a 2 page spread

I use lots of different supplies, some fiskars, some CM. I do like my gigantic 3 ring binders that weigh 20# full

I have 2 kids at home, but they are both easy to convince to "scrap" with me. The biggest issue I have right now with leaving my stuff out on the dining room table is the 3 little kittens. They're almost 4 months and at that very crazy kitty stage

Every 3 months several women gather at the home of the one of us who has no children at home and crop from 9 a.m. till 4 p.m. Those are the days I get the most done and I am then usually motivated to keep going for a couple of weeks. We have a CM consultant come as well. I find it is verrrry convenient to order paper from her, but I still need cardstock from the B&M store since I do 12X12. I did buy our consultant's bag though. It's twice the size of the biggest tote in their catalog and I got it for $40! I can get most of my supplies in it, so traveling to scrap works very well!

Anyway, I'm subscribing to the thread; only got through the first 9 pages before I decided to post I am very glad to have found an online support group for my scrappin' addiction
#259 of 529 Old 11-29-2005, 01:01 PM

Hi Stevie.

Okay, just recently went to a CM event and they have 12x12 paper. In fact, the consultant said that that's the most popular size for CM albums and such. Perhaps she meant that that's the most popular size the her people order from HER.

Anyway, I'm officially bitten, so I TOTALY KWYM~!
#260 of 529 Old 11-29-2005, 09:13 PM

PSB = Paper Sticker Binder.

I just got the power sorter and I love it love it love it!

I store negatives separately - you can buy binder-type pages that are just for storing negatives safely, usually from photo suppliers. Sorta like this.

Stevie, welcome! What do you do with your children when you scrap from 9-4?

Another place to feed your addiction in case you haven't seen it already: Two Peas.

#261 of 529 Old 11-29-2005, 10:12 PM

Thanks, Analisa

Tell me about the Power Sort thingy. I've seen them, and I've been curious about how they work. How many pics can I really store here? What's the advantage over storing them in those photo storage show box things?
#262 of 529 Old 11-30-2005, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs Mom
Stevie, welcome! What do you do with your children when you scrap from 9-4?

Another place to feed your addiction in case you haven't seen it already: Two Peas.
thanks for the welcomes and the links! I got 8 pages done since I subscribed!!!
My babes stay with their Daddy on my scrappin' day We potluck snacks and share our supplies and tools; what great fun, except I am falling in love with CM tools too much! and now that I know they have 12X12
Any hints for taking pictures of completed pages?
#263 of 529 Old 11-30-2005, 11:48 AM

I love my power sorter. It allows me to file pictures in different categories like family, pets, friends. Then I can use dividers within each category for the specific event. I also keep one of the box inserts that come with it in my crop bag with current pics I want to crop.

It can be challenging taking pics of pages...maybe someone else has some great tips. For me, putting them on a white background and taking them from a bird's eye view works the best.

I have fallen behind with my own pages due to holiday planning. Anyone want to do a challenge with me for # of pages to do by the end of the year?
#264 of 529 Old 12-01-2005, 03:59 PM

I tried setting a few 2 page spreads on my coffee table and shooting fromt he top but I haven't uploaded them yet.

I'm willing to go for a challenge I am crankin' pages like a maniac!
#265 of 529 Old 12-02-2005, 02:34 AM

Leomom-This is really stupid, I know, but organizing photos is the bane of my existence. So, I need to ask: Do you get a roll of film developed and then just immediately place them in your Power Sort thing? I've had my eye on it and wondered how I, specifically, would use it. I'm imagining that I would organize my pics chronologically, but I love hearing other ways like yours that work. Thanks for any tips you can provide.
#266 of 529 Old 12-02-2005, 02:38 AM

Oh, and another thing--I have a TON of old family photos. This thread is totally inspiring me to at least *think* about the possibility of actually doing a family album (I have a lot of photos of deceased relatives, from the 30s, 40s, 50s). I'm thinking even if the pics are a mess, I could just create some kind of story and start from there. WOW! I really was about to give up on these and just have them regulated to a shoebox FOREVER!
#267 of 529 Old 12-02-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmama
Leomom-This is really stupid, I know, but organizing photos is the bane of my existence. So, I need to ask: Do you get a roll of film developed and then just immediately place them in your Power Sort thing? I've had my eye on it and wondered how I, specifically, would use it. I'm imagining that I would organize my pics chronologically, but I love hearing other ways like yours that work. Thanks for any tips you can provide.
Well, for dd, I file them chronoligically when I have them developed every month. It works best that way b/c I do her scrapbook pages by months, too.

For my old pics, I filed them in categories like:
Family of origin (If I had lots of holiday photos I'd probably file them within this category.

Family (then filed by event within this box)

Pets (just in case I need them for a project and I know where to get them)

High school

College

Vacations (filed by each one within this category)

Graduations (I have mine, my siblings, and dh's high school, college, and law school grad pics here)

Older relatives (like ones before I was born type thing..)

Friends (I also have specific files for each of my closest friends. I think I may do a book when we're older and give it to them and that way I'll have pics of us as kids, moms, and older all in one place.

I think that's all...I just try to think of how I might use them, or how I would file them in a file box to be able to find them quickly...

HTH!
#268 of 529 Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 PM

Leomom-Thank you! I'm assuming that you have multiple power sort boxes? It looks like a lot of pics can fit in there, but it sounds like the amount of pics you're talking about might require having more than one???

Thanks again!
#269 of 529 Old 12-02-2005, 01:37 PM

I have this one.

http://www.creativememories.com/Main...84%a2-Sort-Box

There are 12 compartments like the one to the right of the box that fit inside. Each of those is a category and I use them file dividers to sort them by even within each compartment. Make sense?

So one black box might be "friends" and then filed by each friend's name with the white index files. You use pencil to write on the index files so you can reuse them when you crop that section.

I keep one of the compartments in my crop bag with the current pics I want to crop, again filed by event with the dividers...

Hope that makes sense!
#270 of 529 Old 12-02-2005, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmama
Tell me about the Power Sort thingy. I've seen them, and I've been curious about how they work. How many pics can I really store here? What's the advantage over storing them in those photo storage show box things?
They claim you can get thousands, I think - maybe 3000? I doubt I could get that many, but it *is* a *lot*, and I love how they are nicely subdivided - I put them in the subdividers by month, so I have August '05, December '04, etc.

I'm not sure what you are referring to by the show box things...but the answer is probably volume - I love having all my pics in one place.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page