Hyena crafters: 2 questions for you! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok for those who make and sell these diapers & wool we all drool over and covet...I have 2 questions for you:

1. Do you make diaper/wool "art" and keep them for your own kids or do you sell all of the ones you make?

2. When your kids finally are completely PT'd will you sell your personal stash?

I've always wanted to know these things and I'm sure I'm not alone :LOL
#2 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 05:59 PM

:
#3 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 06:15 PM

:
#4 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 06:32 PM

Not sure if you would consider me hyena or not..

1~ I RARELY make anything for my own son unless I am trying a new method/technique/pattern, etc. Someday I hope to take 4-5 days and just make him a whole stash. Right now he has 6 of my fitteds that still fit him and 5 AIOs. Sad I know!

2~ When DS PT, I hope that I will be TTC #4 but if we dont, yes I will most likely sell my personal stash BUT NOT my business.

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#5 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 07:00 PM

I, too, don't think I'm "hyena" but...

1. My poor son has very few soakers! He's wearing the funky testers, LOL. I NEED to sit down and just make him some shorts and soakers because he has outgrown almost all of it.

2. I will probably not sell our wool stash. The dipes, yeah, but not the wool because as I said above, they are "funky". I don't know if I would ever sell any other WAHM made wool either. Maybe I'd save it all for my grandbabies.
#6 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 07:25 PM

:
#7 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 07:40 PM

Awww, the WAHMs are shy! Maybe we should start calling them out by name. :LOL
#8 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I want to hear from all crafters...hyena or not.

*and besides...if I love your diapers, you are hyena to me...that includes you Stacy!*
#9 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 07:58 PM

Well I'm definately not hyena. :LOL But poor little DS doesn't have many of my diapers either. A few covers, some fitteds, pockets and one AIO. If I'm sewing, it's for others. :LOL

I haven't even though about selling my stash, hoping for 1 more baby first! But I'm guessing this is more of interest from the hyena creators!
#10 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforme2005
Yeah I want to hear from all crafters...hyena or not.

Well, I know I'm not hyena, but maybe I will be someday So I'll answer your Qs

1) Yes, I make my son covers. Not too often though. He has 2 fleece covers, 2 shorts, and 1 pair of longies made by me.

2) No, I won't sell my stash. My son is my last baby, but I hope to pass the stash to my grandkids. Maybe my daughter will even let me do some of the diapering when she has kids. Move in with me and let me help out with the baby.... maybe lol.
And if they don't have kids, or heaven forbid... decide to use sposies.... well, I'll just keep the stash for sentimental reasons.
Didn't someone mention one time, making their own personal diaper museum/ gallery with beautiful dipes hanging on the wall in frames? Maybe I'll do that :LOL
#11 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 08:34 PM

wahhhh....
well I "think" I'm hyena but am sad to report that dd won't wear soakers in fact last time I tried to get her to wear something knitted it was declared "too yarny" !!!

So, her lone soaker that she wore for a couple of months before she rejected all things wool will be saved and used to make her feel guilty 20 years from now lol

I'm sure if she did do wool it would be pretty plain stuff and I'd be eaten up with guilt so perhaps I should be grateful that she won't wear it.
Elizabeth
#12 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 08:47 PM

Yes, I make soakers for Elowen She is my new-wool tester. Right now she has 4 soakers, 2 shorts, and 3 pants and that's all she wears so they get a *lot* of wear. My mom made one of the pants (I told her what to do) and I made all the rest. There have been things I wished I could keep for her, but she's not wool-deprived.

I probably won't be selling them because by the time we are done with them, they will be pretty worn out! I would make her a lot more if I weren't in business, but that's the way it is. I can't afford my own product :LOL
#13 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 09:33 PM

I'm far from hyena, but thanks for the chance to answer anyway :LOL

For the most part, Ellie wears the testers and the screw ups. I finally stopped kidding myself and have started buying her wool knit by other mamas, it's the only way she is going to have the stash I crave.

I don't think I will ever sell anything I made specifically for her, I want to have those as special heirlooms.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#14 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 PM

:
#15 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 11:16 PM

NO heyena here either...

But I try to make jack a diaper every so often, so he has something new and cute. But when I am really busy, I just dont have time.... he gets seconds.

My stash is all my own diapers, except for tye dye prefolds, and a couple other diapers thrown in for variety.
#16 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 11:23 PM

I'm not hyena, although I knit from a very popular pattern. Kylie has mostly the stuff I knit while learning the pattern. I finally sat down recently and knit her a pair of shorts that aren't all funky :LOL

I'm not sure if I will sell her mama knit stuff or not. I hope to have another bum to diaper, so I'll probably start saving her stuff for him or her.
#17 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 11:24 PM

I am not "hyena" but I am pretty busy.

so Hunter is my tester and he does haev several of my own knitted soakers and shorts, but most of his wool is from the other incredibley talented Wool mamas out there. I do look forward to being done my waiting list though so I can make him stuff..

I will keep all my own things..they do get worn alot and I wouldn't feel comfortable selling them to anyone.
#18 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 11:35 PM

I'm not hyena either, particularly since i'm in another country. And I only list on ebay, as people do indeed like my products very much, I'm way afraid of setting up a website and being tied to it, it's a hobby to me, not a business. I will return to work in a year or two when I've finished my degree.

But to answer the question, Eliza has barely anything I've made. Boring! I make so many of em, I dont want to use them myself. Plus I make for the market not for what I like. People want hemp fitteds, but I dont like fitteds much myself. I have a big boring stash of Fuzzibunz with microterry inserts.

I love creating sets and really "different" and "luxury" diapering items but I prefer a plain and simple stash myself.
#19 of 30 Old 04-27-2005, 11:57 PM

I'm not hyena either, but I'm busy enough that I never quite get around to knitting for my son. I usually make my first item from every pattern for him as a tester, but he's been between sizes all winter, so I haven't even done that lately. I have big plans to knit him some shorts before it gets warm, but we'll see.

I plan to keep everything for future kids and I imagine they'll be too worn out to sell by the end.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#20 of 30 Old 04-28-2005, 12:52 AM

I'm so not hyena but i do sell what I knit, and I do knit for my own daughter, even though I pretty much always have a list of 3 or 4 orders to do. What I do is during naptime (if such a thing occurs) I knit for myself, my daughter, something I want to experiment with, an auction item, a gift for a friend, etc.

Evenings belong to my list. If i'm feeling behind on the list, I use naptimes to get caught up, but i don't let myself feel guilty for using that time for me, my friends, and my family.

As for reselling, we use our wool pretty hard around here (i only make maya a soaker, pants, or shorts if she outgrows something or wears something out. usually I make clothing or other things for her). It's all looking pretty well used so I don't think it will be worth much. I've just handed usable stuff down to friends.
#21 of 30 Old 04-28-2005, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ooh these are great. Thanks so much for responding. I hope to hear from more crafters...so keep the responses coming

I never even thought about the "worn out" issue with wool. Duh!!! My DD is not even crawling yet so her wool stays perfect :LOL I guess when she's wearing it out I'll know what you mean. I guess I wouldn't sell well worn fluff either
#22 of 30 Old 04-28-2005, 01:00 AM

1. Do you make diaper/wool "art" and keep them for your own kids or do you sell all of the ones you make?
Lex has 36 VK aio's :LOL

2. When your kids finally are completely PT'd will you sell your personal stash?
OF course!
#23 of 30 Old 04-28-2005, 03:36 AM

:
#24 of 30 Old 04-28-2005, 05:07 AM

They do, but not the real fancy embellished stuff. Allthough I did just finish some sets for Fee recently. I procrastinate doing stuff for them. I am a bad momma : I just can't keep up with their growth, as soon as I have a complete set of diapers fnished they need to size up.
Thankfully both GM's knit and make them stuff too. And they are slowly gathering some other fancy WAHM stuff because you ladies keep tempting me with hyena-stuff.

You mean all my kids? ;-) I am only on number 2 of many now and number 1 has no interest in starting to PL.
#25 of 30 Old 04-28-2005, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ooh, how many more diaper art mamas have we got out there?

:

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#26 of 30 Old 04-28-2005, 09:39 AM

1. Do you make diaper/wool "art" and keep them for your own kids or do you sell all of the ones you make? -
I have a lot of my own dipes but a lot of them are testers. Very rarely do I actually sit down and make dipes. Really only when I have a print that I love and must use!

Ds spent a few days last week peeing in the yard everytime he had to go. I had a small panic attack wondering if I was about to lose my best tester! I'll probably be more likely to give away or fairy my dipes. I like to share the love

Now I was just looking at my stash this morning and thinking how I really needed some new stuff. Reminds me I need to do some trading. There is just something very exciting about getting fluff in the mail....something you didn't make!

Laura
Mom to three
#27 of 30 Old 04-28-2005, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, not sure if I should post or not since I'm not wool/diaper art or hyena, but I do make diapers and manage to keep busy.

My kids get the seconds and testers. I rarely sit down and make them new stuff if I have orders to finish, and if I don't have orders, I make baby clothes or pajamas for the rest of us. If I want nice, new, perfect diapering items, I trade!!
#28 of 30 Old 04-28-2005, 10:32 AM

I don't MAKE diapers but I dye prefolds and yes we wear them
Joshua lives in colored prefolds

Will I sell my stash when he PTs? Yes :LOL maybe.....well I don't wanna talk about Joshy PTing :

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#29 of 30 Old 04-28-2005, 12:10 PM

When I'm testing things out, I make things for my kids, but once the stuff is perfected, they'll maybe get one "show piece" and the rest gets sold. I don't even have a set of my own stitch markers yet! (I keep forgetting to make myself some!)

eta: we won't be selling off any of the personal stash - we'll be having babies 'till the grandkids start coming, and I run diapers into the ground as it is. You would NOT want to buy a RD I'm done with! :LOL
#30 of 30 Old 05-03-2005, 01:21 PM

I have so many friends babies that want/need the diapers I make.Like many of you my babe gets the seconds. My aunt said the other day that she was going to pay me to make him some custom diapers,LOL. (I hope she does!)

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page