How do you copy a pattern so it can be reused? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2005, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this can be done, but not how to do it. I have a pattern for pants for my DS that comes highly recommended, but is hard to come by. I'd like to be able to make more than one pair from it, and preferable in multiple sizes as he grows. What do I need and how does it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 07:13 PM

I trace mine onto wax paper in the size I need and leave the original pattern intact.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 05-10-2005, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Trish, what do you trace it with? A grease pencil? Or does a regular pen/pencil work all right?

When you say wax paper, do you mean waxed freezer paper, or some other kind?
Old 05-10-2005, 07:51 PM

I didn't have anything handy the day I started tracing from my Kwik Sew for toddlers book so I just used some lightweight interfacing I had laying around.

Heh, it works, and the patterns are easy to fold, store, etc, and not crease like paper. If I copied LOTS of patterns though, it could get expensive though I suppose. I've just done tiny little tshirts and shorts for my toddler though.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saartje
Trish, what do you trace it with? A grease pencil? Or does a regular pen/pencil work all right?

When you say wax paper, do you mean waxed freezer paper, or some other kind?
I use a permanent marker. And it's the wax or parchment paper (guess it depends on where your from) you'd use for baking in a yellow box that you can buy at any grocery store or Wal-Mart. Kind of ghetto, I know. But I'm really cheap and don't bake very often, so....

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 05-10-2005, 10:09 PM

I get Ottobre magazine, which you *must* trace the patterns to use. Suggestions they have: butcher paper, blank newsprint (like the big leftover rolls you can get from the newspaper), exam table paper (like in a drs. office, if you know a medical person or can go to a med supply shop), plastic drop cloth, clear vinyl, sew-in interfacing, Swedish tracing cloth (fabric store), red dot tracing fabric (fabric store), or pretty much anything you can see through and write on.

Some people put the pattern on top of the tracing paper with carbon paper or somesuch in between, then trace over the pattern with a stylus.

I use some cheapo interfacing I got on sale at the fabric store. I just trace with pencil. The nice thing about the interfacing is that it sort of grips the fabric I'm cutting out, so I don't need as many pins.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:11 PM

When I'm still in the tweaking stage of a pattern, tissue paper works great and is very cheap. I'm talking about the kind of stuff you put in gift bags.

But if you have a pattern that is perfect and you want to use it often, try making it out of felt. It's fairly cheap and thick enough that it won't tear or anything.

ETA: felt also kind of clings/sticks to the fabric you're working with so it won't shift around while you're tracing.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:00 PM

I also have good luck using a very lightweight broadcloth in light colors (like white or pink), it's cheap and it also kind of "clings" to the fabric you're cutting.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
Old 05-11-2005, 02:40 AM

Depends on the pattern. Many times I'll fold a pattern down to the smallest size, rather than trace an all new pattern.

For Ottobre or other pattern magazines, I use plain old tissue paper. It's cheap, and it gets the job done

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:59 PM

I've done it a few different ways.

For baby patterns I just photocopy since I can usually fit the pattern pieces on my scanner bed.

For larger patterns I've either traced around the edges onto brown wrapping paper or traced it onto tissue paper. The brown paper is more durable, but the tissue paper is easier to work with.

--Kari
Old 05-12-2005, 01:17 PM

I've also used tissue paper, or the paper that comes in new purses from the store. Cheap and effecive!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:27 PM

I cut mine out on the largest size and then just fold and pin to the size I want.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:16 PM

Okay, I was trying to make a diaper pattern by tracing a diaper I love, so cut open a brown paper bag and used that. I also used a fabric pencil so that anything I got on the diaper I was tracing would wash off, lol!
Old 05-16-2005, 07:55 PM

I learned off this board to use tissue paper. It's worked out just fine. Use a highlighter to trace it (thanks Board!) and it won't rip.

see detailed instructions here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=277161

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:22 PM

I use tissue paper as well. I buy it in the gift bag section of the dollar store. For adult patterns that need alterations I use rolls of shelf paper. It also doubles as great art paper for the kids.

User Tag List