Does anyone have a pattern for a birth ball cover? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-10-2005, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen covers online, but I don't want to pay $25-30 for one when I could probably easily make one on my own. However, I'm not very good at making up patterns on my own, no matter how easy. Does anyone know of a pattern out there that I could use??
#2 of 8 Old 05-12-2005, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone help me??
#3 of 8 Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 PM

I posted the same question about a year and two months ago, no luck. I searched online as well. I ended up not making one, which was just as well for me since I didn't have the VBAC attempt I wanted.

The easiest idea I came up with was to cut a long rectangle to fit around the ball and wide enough to go from pole to pole, plus seam allowances. Seam the circumference, then put in casings on each end and gather them up with elastic or cord.

You could do orange segments with round pieces at each end like a beach ball too, but that seemed like a lot of seams to try to avoid with sensitive parts.

Post back if you make one, let me know what you come up with, OK?
#4 of 8 Old 05-12-2005, 11:33 PM

... what if you made one that was modeled after a beach ball, but made out of cloth? That's the only thing I can think of... what would you need the cover for? Transporting the ball, or using it under a birthing woman?
#5 of 8 Old 05-13-2005, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thats what I was htinking. make sections like a beach ball.

that is a lot of seams. I think I would rather not have a cover. my birth ball had texture so you didn't slip off. a cover would just be shifty and something that once it gets wet might not be so comfortable.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 8 Old 05-13-2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
thats what I was htinking. make sections like a beach ball.

that is a lot of seams. I think I would rather not have a cover. my birth ball had texture so you didn't slip off. a cover would just be shifty and something that once it gets wet might not be so comfortable.
I used a birthing ball to sit on a LOT for my third labor. I hated the way the ball felt naked and when my midwife laid a towel on it for me, it slid around too much.

I think a beach ball style would be a lot of seams. That is why I think a big piece of fabric wrapped around the equator of the ball and gathered on the ends would give the most 'no seam' area, be easy to sew and easy to take on and off.

I spent a lot of time last year thinking about what I wanted to sit on for labor. But everyone handles labor differently, so individual preferences are key here.
#7 of 8 Old 05-13-2005, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, thanks ladies! I agree, the beach ball idea is a lot of seams. The cover that I like can be found here but I don't want to spend a whole lot of $$ one one. I just wanted to see if someone had a pattern for one since I'm not having any luck finding one online.

BTW, I'm planning on using it to sit on during labor and since I may be bottomless, I'd like a cover so that my bum doesn't stick to the rubber. I may end up just using a towel or something, though.
#8 of 8 Old 05-15-2005, 07:21 PM

I just used flannel blankets, and I LOVED the birth ball, and used it right until pushing time! GOod Luck on a wonderful birth experience!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page