What's the best pattern? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 05-16-2005, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone. Let's pretend I can sew. (OK so I know a little and have an expert friend who will help me.) I really have a strong desire to make an attempt at sewing a dipe for my DD. My main concern is that there seem to be soooo many patterns. I have pocket dipes now, which are fine, but the pattern they are made from is not a very good one. (Too wide between the legs making it very bulking from the bunched up material.) I am not sure what would be easiest for me to start with as far as the type of diaper, but my friend is going to help me. My question for all of you is which pattern do you love the best and why? Thanks for you help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 05-16-2005, 02:19 AM

I like the VB AIO pattern. Reasonably priced, easy to follow, and you can make fitteds out of it too if you make both layers of non waterproof fabric.
#3 of 18 Old 05-16-2005, 01:46 PM

especially since it has so many different applications! I haven't actually done the trye AIO, but I've used it to make pockets, and to make fitteds. I love the fitteds! Of the couple patterns I've tried, this seems the easiest to me so far

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
#4 of 18 Old 05-16-2005, 04:21 PM

I like the VB AIO too, but it seems a bit bulky to me. I did trim it and that helped, but I think the Darling Diaper pattern is trimmer. Darling has options for side snap, front snap and side aplix so it's really versatile, but all the options make the pattern tricky to read.

I think no matter what pattern you get it's pretty easy to adapt it to fitteds, covers, AIOs and pockets.
#5 of 18 Old 05-16-2005, 05:55 PM

I like the Darling Diapers pattern because it has color photos and many options to change things to ways I like better. I like it because I can print out the pattern as many times as I want and it's on my computer so I can pull it up all the time and not worry about where I left the instructions or if something spilled on it. My very first one turned out great too.

I like the VB AIO pattern because it's quick and easy but I had to trim quite abit from the crotch as well and am going to have to play with it to get it just the way I want it. I don't like that it has only half of each pattern peice and only one copy. I don't like tracing paper and wish I could just print out the copies of it. The instructions don't show as much as I'd like and I had to read through it several times to make sure I understood it even though I've made many diapers before. That said, it came out perfect on the first try.

So... :LOL I vote for the Darling Diapers for versatility and better instructions and better printing options and better overall fit without adjusting but I think the sewing part is easier on the Very Baby AIO pattern.

They are both good!
#6 of 18 Old 05-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennInSeattle
I don't like that it has only half of each pattern peice and only one copy. I don't like tracing paper and wish I could just print out the copies of it.
OT - I so totally struggled with that, it would have made the pattern twice as expensive if I'd done full pattern pieces unless I nested them and the nesting looked so messy. Anyway, thanks for the nice feedback

Amber's is a pdf file right? Do you have to enlarge it?
#7 of 18 Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 PM

Yep, I know - for example there's an ec pant out there that's $25 per pattern and I'm sure it's because she wanted to make it as comprehensive as possible - but affordability is definitely attractive!

Amber's is a pdf file and you don't have to enlarge it. Each peice has a 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch square on it so you can measure it and make sure your printer printed it out right. That way you know the whole pattern is correct. I've never had any problems even with multiple computers and printers (like at my moms, etc.).

I'm sure it wasn't easy to get that perfect though!
#8 of 18 Old 05-18-2005, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks mamas for taking the time. I think I will opt for the less bulky Darling b/c the ones I have now are soooo bulky, but I will probably do the VB as well soon enough. So ok...where do I obtain these and what's the $ range I am looking at?
#9 of 18 Old 05-18-2005, 01:30 AM

I just finished several VB AIOs. I think the pattern is great, makes a great diaper, the directions are very clear and easy to follow, and there are bonus instructions online at www.sewdiapers.com that have plenty of pictures for the variations. I also have the very baby diaper pattern that I'll try next. The pattern and materials for one cost about the same as one diaper bought from any of Very Baby's licensed WAHMs so if you can stop there :LOL it's a great value too. That said I'll probably buy the darling diapers pattern one of these days too!

I never hear much about the PooPockets and other patterns. Is this a VB/DD only crowd? Has anyone used the Occtobre (sp?) designs free pattern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremade
. So ok...where do I obtain these and what's the $ range I am looking at?
The VB patterns are available at the One Stop Diaper Shop www.diapershop.com for $10.95

Busy mama to dd 6/04 and ds 9/07. Living the dream aboard s/v Convivia.
#10 of 18 Old 05-18-2005, 01:39 AM

Here's the link for the Darling Diapers pattern (it's the pocket fitted pattern but converts into just about every type of diaper): http://www.darlingdiapers.com/order.html

It's $8 and there's no charge for shipping.
#11 of 18 Old 05-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onandon
I never hear much about the PooPockets and other patterns. Is this a VB/DD only crowd? Has anyone used the Occtobre (sp?) designs free pattern?
I like the PooPockets pattern, I used those a lot when Nathan was wee, though they still fit him now, I mostly reach for AIOs. There was a thread about that pattern just last week or so.

I've used the Ottobre pattern too, I used it way back when it was still in German - I think they have it in English now so it'd probably be easier. I made a few wool covers, wool in ones and fitteds with it. It's a two size pattern and I think the sizing is a smidge confusing but it's easy and works well
#12 of 18 Old 05-18-2005, 04:05 PM

You know - there was a time when there were only a few wahm's to choose from if you wanted to buy cloth diapers. I think we'll look back at this time and think of it fondly - I give it a year before there are at least 10 diaper patterns probably more!

I find it interesting that there are really only two good patterns you can buy for diapers - sure there are some you can work with to make the way you want that are free - and there is an EC pant pattern but really VB and DD have cornered the market.

Cuddlebuns are too much of a pain to make from what I hear from just about EVERYONE! PooPockets are onesized - aren't they? I'm not a huge one sized fan but I'd use them if I had to!

Anyway - I'm just rambling but I'm interested to see how this "market" changes!
#13 of 18 Old 05-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennInSeattle
PooPockets are onesized - aren't they?
I really like the onesized pp pattern. I think her idea is that not having fasteners & making the diaper usable for a longer period of time is more environmentally sound. They stitch up really quickly too.

There is also a side-snapping pp pattern that is multisized. I like that too.

I have to be honest & say that I haven't tried other patterns, so I cannot compare them.
#14 of 18 Old 05-21-2005, 07:55 PM

I think there *are* at least 10 patterns to choose from already, isn't there?

Cuddlebuns
HoneyBoy
Poo Pockets
Poochies
Very Baby
Fern & Faerie
Darling Diapers
that's 7.....and then there's the old-school
Better Baby Diapers
Kwik Sew diapers
and the free:
Ottobre
Mama Bird
F&F Dirt Cheap fitted

I know there's more than that, I just can't think of 'em right now. And that's not counting cover patterns, either.
#15 of 18 Old 05-21-2005, 08:44 PM

IO just started trying to sew my own, what I'm doing is taking this pattern http://www.geocities.com/rew4birth/index.html and adjusting them. Havent perfected the pattern but it was something to give me the basics on how to make them
#16 of 18 Old 05-25-2005, 01:29 AM

Well, I've gotten a bit crazy with purchasing patterns and have a lot, it seems!
I've made 2 dipes with the DD pattern, which I liked a lot, and then I have the VB fitted AND the VB AIO pattern as well. I actually haven't made any dipe with it yet, but I've already cut out some fabric for it, so I'm technically ready to sew!

The only dipe I've made also is from Cyndie (?), she sells her pattern (10 different ones, from NB to large, 1 size, AIO etc.) on eBay for ~8$ I believe. You get the patterns via mail with a little instruction.
Eventhough the pattern itself is easy to follow, I somehow didn't like the way the patterns were cut... It just didn't really look professional like the VBs for example...

Like it was mentioned before, I think a great benefit of the VB patterns is that so many different styles with it are being offered on the site sewdiapers.com!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#17 of 18 Old 05-25-2005, 02:13 AM

Stell, is the Fern and Faerie diaper a downloaded file or hard copy mailed? How is it different from the free one you offer? I've been wondering.

FTR, I have an original, no longer available authentic Fuzzi Bunz home sewing pattern from an old diaper sewing friend. It is funny to think it is practically a vintage item now!
#18 of 18 Old 05-26-2005, 12:27 AM

Kari, my patterns are all mailed hard-copy at this time. The for-sale diaper pattern is for my Recycle Diapers - the ones I make with the denim outer, snaps, and knit binding. The free pattern is much more simple - T&T, velcro, and all t-shirt - it's a completely different pattern. HTH!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page