Cloth Books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-03-2002, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anybody have any idea on how to make these? Would I use batting in between the pages? How would I bind it? Are there "kits" out there? Thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 11-05-2002, 12:55 AM

keep in mind i haven't tried this yet, but seeing your post gave me some ideas. i have a wonderful aunt who had 8 kids, and i loved visiting their home because everyone was always creating something - ceramics, paper flowers, doll furniture...this is the kind of thing they would have made.

i'm sure my aunt and cousins would say that you could make a cloth book anyway you can imagine it. i don't think batting would be necessary unless you want it. do you want a quilted book, an embroidered book, or painted fabric? for sturdier "pages" you could try batting, or you might just stitch 2 pieces of fabric together and turn them. there are several ways you can bind it. you can make double-wide pages and stitch with a reinforced seam up the middle. if the pages aren't thick you can just do 2 rows of stitching close together along the left edge. or, you can lace it together, maybe using eyelets, with heavy yarn or shoelace.

i was planning on making a felt board for my son for yuletide, but now i think i might try a felt book, with different colors of felt on each "page" and maybe a few sparse details, like a city skyline or hilly horizon. i could put a pouch in the back to hold felt letters, numbers, animals, people, and details like trees, cars or buildings, and have it either tie shut or close with velcro. i wouldn't have even thought of it if i hadn't seen your post. thanks!

blessings
#3 of 3 Old 11-06-2002, 12:26 AM

Batting would be nice, there are some really great all natural cottons, and you could use seam binding for the binding of the book. If you want more than 5 pages or so batting might make it too thick for the seam binding. I have a friend who is making a cloth book. She's putting on 10 cent zippers form the bins that unzip to reveal animals from a jungle pattern. She got one faric with a ladybug print and stuffed the ladybugs so they are 3D. Just some ideas=)
Love
Lauren

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page