Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looks good
Old 06-22-2005, 11:52 PM

Thanks for getting back to me Amber, I am just LOVING making these diapers. SO far, I have 8 done. Mostly with stretchy fabrics, but a few with woven prints. I just can't resist the bright colors! :LOL
Old 06-23-2005, 10:44 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...darldiaper.jpg

not the best pic. a few hours old, 8lb5oz 19-20" long.
2 layers velour body, 3-4 layer velour soaker. i sewed the soaker at the back only and could fold it down in front. i used 1/4" lastin which seems to help it fit smaller. i made a couple from fluffy sherpa and they arent as trim, of course, but still better than KL0. i will try and take comparison pics if i get a chance.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my! That is SO SWEET! I've been having trouble getting excited about this baby/pregnancy (not sure what that's all about.. this baby was planned and all.. I guess I"m just sad my days with just my dd will soon be over) .. but that picture really made me long for this baby Thank you for sharing!

amber
Old 06-23-2005, 01:24 PM

kl, velour dd, sherpa dd
velour on, snapped down
dif angle
kiss on snap down
sherpa dd on, snap down
dif angle
sherpa dd not snapped down

These were today. 3 weeks and almost 10lbs, 21"

eta: she has big thighs, a shortish rise and skinny waist (at least where a dipe sits). i don't like the snap placement on the kl at all.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Oh that's awsome!

So, now that you've used them, what would you change if you had the chance to make them again? longer wings? higher rise? anything like that?

Her thighs did fill out nicely didn't they? I love that. I remember being very excited when my daughter finally got little rolls. I was always worried she wasn't eating enough until I could SEE it on her *L*.

I've been making smaller ones and now I'm not sure they'll get used at all Oh well.. if not I can always just sell them. She's not all that long at 21 inches and it looks like the rise will be the first thing she outgrows.

Pictures are so worth a thousand words! Thank you for taking the time to post those.

OH! Just in case anyone is interested.. I made a PUL cover from the pattern. Just used FOE around the edges and I made it side aplix. It went together in about 25 minutes or less and is SO cute! It's about the size of the nb bummis I have, but SO much softer since it's 1mil PUL. And I like the side closing since the diapers are front closing.. not so much stiffness up front. So if you need nb covers, the pattern works for that.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:41 PM

Hmmm... I really liked the pattern. I would probably take the time to sew the soaker down the middle like the instructions say b/c with it just attached at the back, it's really long at first when the diaper isn't stretched very much length wise, if that makes sense. I had to fold the end down. Not a big deal, though. I would definitely make more. THey were great with the stump and seem like they'll fit for a while. With the lastin they should stretch plenty without being too snug.
Yeah, my babies have all been good sized and they grow FAST, but my boys never got chubby, they just got big. Like, loooong. At 3 weeks my first son was in 3/6 month clothes. So, these rolls are a new thing for me. :LOL I'm loving her squish.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:03 PM

those are so cute
Old 06-23-2005, 03:46 PM

Ooooh Davina! Congratrualtions! She is soo beautiful! Thank you so much for posting those pictures! ....I'm off to make even more! :LOL
Old 06-23-2005, 03:48 PM

Amber, I emailed you a couple days ago and haven't heard back from you. I was hoping to get a copy of your nb pattern.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 06-23-2005, 03:59 PM

I thought I would chime in on fit. While I haven't made any of these yet, I know all my KL 0's were too big on my 7 lb. baby for at least the first 1.5 wks. Nearing 2 wks old she was able to fit into most of her nb cloth well. We also used some sposies and the nb sposies were too big for her. She was very petite. Unlike my first dd who was more like your little Gwendolyn, Davina. She was in 3-6 mo clothes by a month and started out in size 1 sposies. Anyway, I think I'd want to make these diapers out of very stretchy materials and use lastin to make them tinier, but able to stretch bigger. My dd2 can still fit into several nb diapers, including Mutts, KL 0's and KHW. I can't wait to make up a few of these and see if my 7.5 mo. old can fit into them! I'm a nb diaper addict! :LOL

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 06-23-2005, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Alisha,
I just checked my sent foldee and it's been sent to you. Sometimes, because it's a large file, spam blockers will catch the email. If you have a folder that spam gets sent to, check there. I'm going to send again right now, so if you don't get it again, it's getting caught somewhere by some setting in your email account. Hope it gets there this time!

amber
Old 06-23-2005, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Davina,
I noticed that about the soaker too. It's because when it's free like that, it fits closer to the body so it comes up higher. Good for a boy in the high rise.. but for the lower rise, it's a PITB. I took two of the ones I made that way, and just used a 3-step zz stitch and stitched it down the center even after the diaper was finished and it works fine. A little harder to center well, but makes it easier to put on and the soaker stays where it should.

Now I wanna see what other diapers you've made for her! Did you use any other patterns? I have like 16 KL0 in addition to the diapers I"ve made, but the KL0 just seem so bulky looking at them that I'm tempted to just use them as back ups and make a bunch of fitteds and play with different patterns. This baby already has liek 40nb diapers (fitteds, AIO's and prefolds) .. I just can't stop! It's a sickness. And, nothing pink or purple. I just know if I find out this is a girl, I'm going to have to have a dozen in pretty girl colors/prints. So if you used other patterns, do you have pictures of those diapers too?

amber
Old 06-23-2005, 04:56 PM

Actually, I didn't make too many nb sized. I expected a big baby so i didn't make too many. Others I loved are small Darling Diapers with no closure. I made a 2 layer body, turned and topstitched around the elastic, then a soaker sewn in at the back. I used knit terry on the outside. I can fold down the soaker and front of the diaper and snappi. I only made 2 that way. Of course. I had 6 or 8 xs vb aio's but those never thought about going around her thighs.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:10 PM

Davina, she's so cute! Congrats on your VBAC!
Old 06-24-2005, 02:32 PM

got mine and cant wait to try it out before my other lil one gets here
Old 03-27-2006, 01:42 PM

bump to the top so new sewing mamas can see this
Old 04-15-2006, 09:46 PM

Serging anything other than hidden seams scares me. (You want me to serge curves!!?? ) I really should try this one though. I don't have a newborn nor am I expecting to have another one in the future but if it turns out I can always donate it, right?

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

User Tag List