So far I've made a handful of these, and really, they look like a kissaluvs in size (easy for me to compare since that's what I've been buying and I don't have much else to compare to) but, I remember kissaluvs being HUGE on my 5lb baby. That stage goes by in such a blur and before you know it, the kissaluv 0s fit like a dream, but I would like to have a few smaller ones to take to the hospital etc.. nothing like a well-fitting diaper to really show off cloth.
The one thing to remember is that this pattern is written for stretchy materials like sherpa and if you use anything like a woven or flannel etc.. it will fit MUCH smaller. The stretch of the sherpa gives me about 2 (maybe more) extra inches in the waist alone. Without that streth, I think the overall fit would be funky... like a high rise with a TINY waist.. so if you use something without stretch, add some length to the wings.
Anyway.. but yeah.. I took off about 1/4 (maybe a tiny bit more if my cutting wasn't exact AND, on top of that, when I serg, I serg off close to 1/4 inch so for most people who serge more carefully than I do, I'd say you could trim the pattern by 3/8 of an inch all the way around) I did take some lenght off the wings, but I tried to keep them wide still if that meks sense. . I can't seem to serge them well if the curve is any tighter. And, I shortened the soaker down by 3/4 of an inch (again, I trim off quite a bit when I serge the soaker too, so my soaker ends up being about 2 to 2.25 inches wide when finished and 10 inches or so long).
The overall diaper is much trimmer through the back, but I don't think it'll leak.. seems like without the changes, it's very wide in the back (great for a 9-15lb baby but under that it looks kinda boobah-ish). I'm going to make at least two more like this so I'll have half a dozen itty bitty diapers to take to the hospital (an xs FB, 2 AIO's made from this pattern, and 3 fitteds) along with preemie prefolds.
Try it.. it's so cute! If I get the snaps on, I'll post comparison pictures. Oh.. what I didn't do was lower the rise through the crotch the way I normally do. The legs *seem* small enough to me so I didn't want to make them any smaller... but it's just personal preference. I guess you could lower the rise through the center and then narrow the diaper through the center the other way. I just sort of got schissors and wacked at it *LOL*..
Oh! one more thing.. I got some polybraid to play with. After a few attempts awhile back with it, I stopped buying it because I didn't like how strong it was in the AIO's I tried to make with it. I guess my own AIO pattern doesn't work well with polybraid. But, I tried it in this fitted, and it was great! Not too tight and not too loose. I tried it with PUL and microfleece to make an AIO from this pattern and it was too tight for my taste.. but for two layers of hemp or sherpa, I love it! The knit elastic I use for AIO's however, didn't do as nice a job in these fitteds. I'm very elastic picky though.
I know this post is getting long, but I'll blab a littl more. On the top row of snaps, I stopped putting in the center snap. I don't think it would be that useful. I'm finding for stretchy fabrics, the inner three snap settings will be plenty (past that, you'd have to have one SHORT ROUND baby to need that fourth placement). And For less stretchy fabrics (stretch twill, knits that aren't as stretchy, and PUL) the outer three snap placements seem to be the only ones that will be used. It helps save on snaps. I dread putting snaps on.. my least favorite part.
Okay, I've blabbed enough
I'd love to see more pictures! I'll post some later.