Has anyone used 100% cotton velour from Joann fabrics? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-28-2005, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was in JoAnn fabrics today, and just *happened* to walk by the terry and velour fabrics. They had a few nice soft plush 100% cotton velours, about $9.99/yd, nothing fancy (certainly not organic), but pretty and soft. Has anyone here used their velours for diapers? How do they hold up for you? I was soo tempted to buy some and use my 40% off coupon but I didn't want to be stuck with yardage of something that fell apart after a few nice hot diaper washes...

Thanks!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#2 of 7 Old 05-29-2005, 12:23 AM

I bought some quite a few months ago. It was the terry on one side and velour on the other. It has held up really well, so far. It's not as absorbant as I hoped and it doesn't stay nice and soft. I won't be buying any more.

Don't know if this is the same stuff you saw, but this is all they had at my jo annes. I don't know if I've helped any
#3 of 7 Old 05-29-2005, 03:50 AM

I bought some about two months ago. It frays pretty badly because it is terry and has very little stretch. It's definitely more absorbant than regular velour (but I'm not speaking of organic) partially because it's 100% cotton and partially because it's terry backed which makes it thicker. I've used it in a Very Baby AIO recently instead of two layers of birdseye for the body and it's doing great for Nathan. I think I made the AIO about two weeks ago and it's still very soft and not falling apart or leaving lint monsters but it's only been two weeks. I like it but I plan to start buying velour online instead simply because it costs less, doesn't fray and has stretch.
#4 of 7 Old 05-29-2005, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that was helpful. I used an old baby blanket once for diapers, that looked like a cross between terry and velour (it was not as plush as velour, but not as loopy as terry), and that held up WONDERFULLY, if only I could find more material just like that, I'd be thrilled. Are there any great 100% cotton velour co-ops going on now, does anyone know?

#5 of 7 Old 05-29-2005, 11:09 PM

the velour i have gotten at joann's is knit velour, with pile on one side and an interlock type face on the other. this is not terry-like and doesn't frey. i bet it's what you're talking about lizabird. my joann's has some right now for 9.99. anyway, when i first started sewing i went into a joann's and had no idea about fabric and stumbled into a HUGE sale and the velour was on clearance for 1.99 yd and i got a gazillion yards. i'm still using it and i LOVE it for diapers.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#6 of 7 Old 05-30-2005, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, cool, for $1.99/yard I would have bought a gazillion yards too :LOL

#7 of 7 Old 05-31-2005, 12:51 AM

That's awesome! Thanks for the good info! I saw that too. I might have to get it and try it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page