Knitting Problems - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-10-2002, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello, i'm learning to knit.

well, i learned the basics from a friend about a year ago, and never thought i learned incorrectly. i knitted a scarf and it looked right...

but, i'm about to join a kniting workshop so i got a book: How To Knit, to learn a bit more. And i knit backwards!!! the book says they do it differently in other countries and i guess i learned the foreign way. i hold the yarn in my left hand.

will this impede my ability to knit? i can't decifer the picture instructions because i hold it all differently. i tried and tried to re learn but my way just seems so much easier!

this has led me to doubt that i have even been 'knitting' all this time. i think i was purling. how can i know the difference? i tried making a stockingette swatch, but it was all knitted- looking. i don't know what i'm doing anymore?!

please, if you knit, help me!

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#2 of 4 Old 11-10-2002, 04:14 PM

I love knitting.

My sister knits the way you do - it is actually a faster way to knit. If you knit on round needles and just knit all the rows the same (the 'foreign' stitch you already do), it will end up looking like the stocking stitch.

I have knit quite a few scarves, but never used a pattern.... Last night I have started following a pattern for the first time - I am knitting a cotton bikini!!! (God knows what it will look like...)

Good luck

Emma
#3 of 4 Old 11-10-2002, 04:24 PM

I love to knit but never get a chance these days with dd being a toddler.

I don't knit the proper way either. I have to knit into the back of all my stitches or mine comes out twisted. I have no idea why but it works for me.

I knit with the yarn in my right hand. I'd guess if you knitted with the yarn in your left hand, you'd be doing it all back to front by a conventional pattern ?

The way I knit, when you do a knit stitch the yarn is at the back of the work & when you do a purl stitch the yarn is at the front.
#4 of 4 Old 11-14-2002, 09:47 AM

If you knit with the yarn in your left hand, that's called Continental or picking. If you hold it in your right hand, that's usually called English or throwing. As long as you've got the empty needle in your right hand and the full one in your left when you start a row, you're going the right way.

For the twisted stitches, try wrapping your purl stitches from the top to the bottom, instead of from the bottom toward the top (clear as mud?). If you don't mind watching to make sure you knit into the back loop, then you don't have to change your style, but if you take a class you may be told you're doing it wrong. You're not, this is just a knitting style called "Eastern Uncrossed". Isn't it great that there's a legitimate name for a technique that you were regarding as a mistake?

I'd suggest you check out the KnitList on Yahoo! Groups http://groups.yahoo.com. It's a fairly high-volume email group where you can post questions, chat about knitting, and just waste a ton of time.

Happy knitting!
Jessikate

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page