Homemade miniature treehouse - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2002, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I adore the treehouse from Seasonal Toys, but can in no way afford the $300 price tag. I would like to make one for my son. I think he would enjoy it for years. It has swings, pulleys, all kinds of things that he would like. He really likes my friend's daughter's dollhouse, but unfortunately is starting to say it is for girls (he's only 3.5 .
I would like to make him one. I thought of wood, but have no tools or skills. I thought of paper mache. It could be made very strong and I could shape it from house hold materials so it wouldn't be costly. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I would like to make this for him for Christmas. I plan on adding furniture and dolls (also homemade) a little at time, maybe making them together. I think he would like it to include some moveable parts. I love miniatures, so this would be a great little project for me, even he doesn't play with it!! I plan to include lots of nature playthings, fairies, gnomes and small animals. Any ideas or suggestions? I am new to paper mache, and need a strong material to create it with.
Thanks,
Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2002, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would strongly advise using wood instead- I, for one, would fine it much easier. If you buy wood, you can have it cut at the lumberyard to size; the onyl tools you'd need would be sandpaper and glue, then. [You could bolt it together, but glue will probably do the trick.] I'd be more likely to collect branches, strip the bark, and let them dry out- then you don't have to buy wood [except possibly for the floors, which would be better flat] and the only additional tool you'd need would be a small hand saw.

Sorry I can't give you and papier mache tips.

User Tag List