Procare Barrier Fabric - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-20-2005, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anybody used it/touched it/seen it? I saw it here and am wondering about it's performance in comparison to PUL.
Tell me about it, please!
#2 of 13 Old 07-20-2005, 11:24 AM

I've got a few pair of bloomers with ProCare as the inside layer, and a wetbag with ProCare on the inside.

It's thicker than PUL, and sturdier/stiffer - no leaks, and it's holding up well to the washing/drying I'm putting it through.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#3 of 13 Old 07-20-2005, 11:27 AM

Because it is so unbreathing, procare makes excellent wetbags.
#4 of 13 Old 07-20-2005, 11:47 AM

It is thicker, stiffer, more industrial feeling. It reminds me of heavy rain jacket material. It's probably a little easier to sew with than PUL because it's not as flimsy or stretchy, but IMO it's not very attractive. It's hard to explain without seeing it, but on PUL, there is a nice fabric side and the back side is laminated. You sew with the laminated side toward the baby. With procare, the plasticy side (shown on their web page) is the nice side and the back is UGLY. It seems weird to have the fabric side facing the wetness, but you either do that or have an ugly outer. Because of it's unattractiveness and industrial feeling, I haven't used it much for diapers. It does soften some with laundering and makes great wet bags. It would also work well as a hidden layer under a cute outer, but would be bulkier than PUL.

I think the Wazoodle site says you can only expect 20 home launderings from standard PUL whereas their PUL can withstand 100 washes and procare can withstand 1000. I don't believe that statement to be true. People use PUL for many months/years, on more than one child, etc. while laundering several times/week. PUL lasts much longer than 20 washes or no one would waste their time with it.

Like most things with sewing and using CDs, it's largely a matter of preference, but I wouldn't recommend procare over PUL unless you're really having trouble sewing with PUL or you're sewing for charity, such as an orphanage where form is far more important than function and they need to withstand a lot of heavy duty laundering.
#5 of 13 Old 07-20-2005, 12:23 PM

I've made some AIOs and Covers out of it. I don't like it for AIOs b/c I t&t mine and it's very thick at the seams. But w/ the cover I used a cute woven print outer and bound w/ FOE and they work great. The inside part that might touch dd is the softer/more fabricy side and the icky plasiticy part is covered with fabric.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#6 of 13 Old 07-20-2005, 03:17 PM

it's awful to sew with... slippery and ick.

I'll never buy it again for diapers. it's a great changing pad layer though and it works really well for wetbags but I find it too thick for diapers. I want my child to have more mobility than it allows... I didn't realize what I was buying when I got it...
#7 of 13 Old 07-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Banned

Here's a thread about the fabric, a must read! http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=wazoodle
#8 of 13 Old 07-20-2005, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, thank you everybody! I do badly need a wetbag, so maybe I will buy some anyways... but not for diapers! Sounds yucky.
It looked a little iffy, glad I asked!

Thank you all again
#9 of 13 Old 07-21-2005, 01:29 AM

I've been through 10 yards of it and just bought more! I did make a couple wet bags out of it, but I've made lots of pockets and aios with it. I just cover it with a cute print on the outside and it works great. Sometimes I will line covers with a brushed tricot or suedecloth, but if you leave the inside bare you can re-use the cover more. Proraps brand Basic covers use it plain, with the smooth side in or at least the newborn ones I bought used did; they could be an older design. They were my sister's favorite covers and I've just made her more in a larger size.

I never have leaks or wicking, and after a few washes it is just as flexible as my 2mil knit PUL and much softer than the 2mil cotton woven PUL I have. It is thicker, but doesn't affect dd's mobility. She can pee straight through regular PUL so I use Procare for anything I want to use while out and about or at daycare.

I also find it easier to sew than PUL. Really, I think it's great stuff!

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#10 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Hi everyone,
I just got some ProCare and wanted to make a diaper pail liner. Could anyone tell me how to close the seams? I read heat sealing makes it wickproof. How is that done?

Or is sewing enough? I had made a PUL diaper pail liner and it was wicking. No big deal but annoying. My wetbag is also PUL but doesn't really have time to wick, but the diaper pail has the wet dipes sitting there for a while. Planning to make a wetbag out of the ProCare later though.

Any help would be appreciated!
#11 of 13 Old 05-08-2008, 03:43 PM

I use procare to make all of my diapers and other supplies. I bought some FB diapers that have PUL in them and they were basically junk after 8 months. My diapers have lasted through 3 kids. A few have started to tear, but my oldest dd was putting them into the dryer on high heat! I am making more and plan on hanging them to dry.

Don't waste your $$$ on PUL, it is garbage. Pro Care is much much better!

Warmly,
Donna
#12 of 13 Old 05-09-2008, 03:41 PM

I use ProCare for the AIOs I made for my DS's preschool. I used flannel for the inners, and the procare (knit web side out) for the outer layer. I also made some with PUL (diapershop) for the outer layer.

In comparison with the ones made with PUL, the Procare DEFINITELY leaked less. Like WAY less. And I know you can't call the knit web backing of the ProCare *pretty*....but it's not hideous - it looks good enough to use it for the outer of a utilitarian diaper.

Now that all the diapers are broken in well, though, there is no difference between the performance of the Procare vs. PUL. They both keep leaks in just fine.

I thought cutting and sewing with the Procare was a bit easier, probably because it's a little stiffer and would stay where I put it better. But the difference was marginal. Given how much it costs to buy Procare and have it shipped to the US (the stuff is HEAVY!!!), I stick with the PUL now.
#13 of 13 Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 PM

Where do you buy the fabric? How much a yard?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page