Diaper Makers- Do you make your childs entire stash? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2005, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd's stash is 90% made by me. I have collected a few wahm made diapers, since I make covers, just to make sure they fit well under them. It's a great excuse to buy diapers :LOL

I ended up selling quite a few, just because I like mine better Hey, that's the idea, right? Making something that we love. Of course, my pattern was developed from her bum, so they should fit her better than anything else

Not that I wouldn't love to get my hands on a fussybutt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2005, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobiemama
Well, I am imaging this winter when things slow down for me, I will sew for the new baby. I have images of tiny diapers all stacked up, accompanied by cute little gowns. I will sew as the woodstove goes and the snow softly falls... ahhhh. Ya right, like its gonna be like that!!! LOL
This sounds like one of my fantasies! Ahhhh.... I like it.

Right now my house looks like a birdseye/PUL explosion. My husband said the dog had white thread in her poop last week. : Since this is my first baby, though, I have no idea if I am making the right things! I planned to make 2 dozen small dipes from the Very Baby pattern - mostly AIOs, with a few fitteds thrown in. I thought I'd buy some prefolds and covers in the newborn size to use until the smalls I made fit her. Now that I've turned my house into a diaper factory, though, and I'm sort of enjoying it, I thought I might make some newborn size, too. I've also made her about 40 wipes. Watch me do all this and none of what I've made fits her/works for her. Ugh, hoping for the best! So I guess I hope that most of my stash will be homemade, but since I really have no idea what I'm doing, it's too soon to tell.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberb

I ended up selling quite a few, just because I like mine better
LOL I did that too. I had other diapers, and sold them all off, except for the few I have left.

I want to make some cute ones for my son, but there is no time now. Maybe when things slow down... :LOL

Even though jacks are all seconds, they still work great! I was just thinking today as he was running around,"wow, thats a great fit on him!"

Oh wait! I totally forgot! I did make jack a wool cover a couple weeks ago, and last night I made him a pair of fleece shorts!

Oh, and I didnt mean to leave the soaker makers out. I really meant, anyone who makes something that goes on a baby butt.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:53 AM

I made the majority of dd's stash, but definitely not all of it. I really enjoy shopping from WAHMs and getting all that great fluff in the mail. Oh, and like some others mentioned I do end up selling a lot of what I try though because the stuff I make tends to fit my hard to fit DD better. I can't imagine not having at least a few WAHM dipes in our stash. They are just so darn cute!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
Old 07-25-2005, 08:01 PM

most of what Ive made for my DD has fallen apart or she has outgown :LOL .. I also wasted tons of $$ on fabrics made diapers w/ my own patterns and they never fit : So lately Ive been trying to make some fitteds out of OV. Ive made a few that I like and Ive also just recently fallen in love w/ prefitteds so I buy the pfs and make them into prefitteds. Id say only about 20% of my DDs stash is Mommy made. But it is fun to make them!

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
Old 07-27-2005, 02:29 AM

Don't worry if you can't make the whole stash and you have to buy some Cding things!!!

Even if you only have time to make a few aio's or fancy fitteds or something that's totally fine!

In fact most moms who sew thier own dipes or who buy patterns, only sew a few here and there to add cuteness to their stash. Plenty of moms buy a ton of fabric, sewing machine, serger snap press, you name it! And never even get off the ground really until baby is over a year old! LOL!

Don't dispair, just buy what you need, at least you'll still be using Cloth for your baby, be saving TONS over disposables which is what you'd be buying if you didn't know about CD's and be helping out wahms in the process!!!

It took me yrs to get good at what I do, and yeah I can whip up 18 diapers in a couple of days, but that didn't come right away!! LOL!

start slow, make sure you get a good pattern, and sew a few to get yourself comfortable with it out of old t-shirts or flannel sheets or something, so you don't feel like you're cutting into your preciously expensive one-of-a kind fabric. That will make the 'testing" phase go quicker and less painless.

When you mess up, go back and take out your stitches, even though that will be very hard to do, we all do it from time to time, even ME!! LOL!

Then when youre' ready to start order enought fabric and notions for 6-12 diapers TOPS! That way you won't be sewing tons of dipes with a fabric you end up hating or a pattern that is too bulky or whatever.

Sew assembly line style:
Cut out all 6 dipes at once, mark all 6 at once
Sew in all velcro
Sew in all soakers
Sew in all elastic, serge or zigzag or T&T at once
Finish all

it will seem like really slow going until you get to that last step, then watch DH's eyes pop out as you pump out 6 completed diapers before his eyes(of course he may have missed all the times you were sitting at the machine, lol)

PS;
cotton sherpa FITTED dipes with all sherpa or maybe a knit print outer are THE easiest diapers to start with! They will fit great, the fabric is a bit stretchy, but has forgivness to it, it's absorbent , and you only need 2 body layers, (don't do gussets, they are a huge waste of time!) and a 2 layer internal or external soaker!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:42 PM

I've made all of dd's current stash of diapers, AIOs and covers. Also doublers, inserts, wipes, wet bags, totes, you name it, I've made it. I didn't start with newborn size, as we used the diaper service for a couple months, but since then it's all mama made. I have bought WAHM and name brand diapers over the past 2 years, but always end up selling them as I like mine better.

Now that dd is potty learning, I'm having to start a WAHM cd business because I just can't stop sewing for her!

I also WOHM 3 days a week, but sewing is my relaxing hobby (been doing it for 30 years now) so I spend at least 2 hours every day playing with fabric and patterns.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 07-28-2005, 11:54 PM

but i really want to try other WAHM cute stuff. DH is giving me grief about it though. I can sew, knit, crochet, and spin. His reasoning, why pay someone else when I can do it. But I would like to try something else for a change.

User Tag List