Diaper Makers- Do you make your childs entire stash? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have plans to make this new baby's stash, but am having doubts of WHEN exactly I will find the time to do this! LOL

And each time I have made jack something really nice and cute and figure, well its so good and cute, I'll sell it! This poor kid, all he has are seconds!

I suppose if I start now, I can make a diaper or 2 a week and be set by February! :LOL
#2 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 04:00 AM

LOL -DS is my tester right now, anytime I make something not-so-well he ends up with it. The rest I'm saving to send as testers and/or sell.
#3 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 04:13 AM

I'd say I've made 80% of the non prefold diapers in newborn and small size for ds.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#4 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 06:30 AM

Now, yes. the nb stash no b/c I was still developing my pattern. Right now DD has 10 diapers made by me and very few of anyone else's. I other wahm's diapers but right now DD is such a weird fit that its just easier to custom make the perfect fitting diaper. Like this one
#5 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniebug
Now, yes. the nb stash no b/c I was still developing my pattern. Right now DD has 10 diapers made by me and very few of anyone else's. I other wahm's diapers but right now DD is such a weird fit that its just easier to custom make the perfect fitting diaper. Like this one

good thinking. I wish i could sew well to and also had time to sew.

my DS is also a strange fit so almost every diaper i have has something that i dont like or wish it was maybe just a little different.

your diaper looks so nice. Great Butt shot!!
#6 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 08:51 AM

I have VERY few other diapers for dd except the ones I've made her. We started CDing on the ones I first sewed. Now, of course her stash is looking TONS better. I'm so impatient that sometimes I make her a cool diaper I want to sell and then want to see it in action so she gets it!

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#7 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 09:34 AM

Quote:
LOL -DS is my tester right now, anytime I make something not-so-well he ends up with it. The rest I'm saving to send as testers and/or sell.
same here. lately, i look at ds's diapers and think what an UGLY stash he has!! he's got my first patterns and my testers. a few weeks ago, i started making him some of my new diapers, so it's getting better...
#8 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 09:53 AM

totally ot - Jenniebug, I love your siggie!!
#9 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 10:34 AM

Irene--Thanks! It took me several tries to get that butt shot. Rhi is such a wiggle worm

Jentilla--Yeah I hear you! I have this one hand appliqued fitted I made Rhi that matches an applique I put on a patchy skirt for Rory (my 3yo dd). Now I want to sell the skirt and the fitted but at the same time I am so proud of those 2 pieces I can't bear to part with them or let my DDs wear them :LOL

Carrie--Thanks!
#10 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 10:49 AM

I sew surprisingly very little for Zach (and Ian when he was in cd's). I'd rather buy from wahms b/c 1) I'm lazy, 2) mine never look as nice as wahm quality b/c I'm always rushed when I do sew, and 3) refer to #1. I did just handpaint some fitteds, an aio and a cover, and liked how they turned out, and I plan to make wool pants (fabric pants, not knitted), but that's about it. I actually don't like sewing diapers. I'd rather sew other stuff, lol.

Oh-and I hear ya re: if it looks too good it gets sold-I used to do that all the time w/hippie clothes/phish tour. I'd start out intending to make a gorgeous spinner dress for myself then decide I should sell it b/c it looked really good once it was finished, lol.
#11 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 11:12 AM

Not a diaper maker, but a soaker maker here. Sarah gets all of my "reject" soakers. When I'm testing something new, or when one doesn't turn out well enough to sell (leg holes uneven sizes, rise too short, etc) They're not BAD, just not perfect. I don't have any other wahm-made soakers, although I wish I did! So yes, her entire soaker stash is made by me. I do have a few Sugarpeas wool jersey covers that she can wear under onesies and things that are snug fitting, but that's it
#12 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 11:15 AM

Phishmama--do you ever make the apron tops? We are planning a sew along in the craft forum! I have the spinner skirts down pat, love them!! But I haven't gotten the hang of tops yet. Or converting jeans over to patchy jeans

sorry for going t
#13 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishmama
Oh-and I hear ya re: if it looks too good it gets sold-I used to do that all the time w/hippie clothes/phish tour. I'd start out intending to make a gorgeous spinner dress for myself then decide I should sell it b/c it looked really good once it was finished, lol.
Your use of the word phish here has intrigued and now, I really just HAVE to know what your username means!!! I've been wondering about it for weeks. And your title too - why are you un-phishing???

I really must know.
#14 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 11:22 AM

i don't sew, but i knit. Used to be that my kid had NOTHING of mine because i didn't have time. Now the majority of her soakers were made by me since i've been testing a bunch of new yarns lately. i'm so happy to finally be making things for her to wear!
#15 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Phishmama--do you ever make the apron tops? We are planning a sew along in the craft forum! I have the spinner skirts down pat, love them!! But I haven't gotten the hang of tops yet. Or converting jeans over to patchy jeans
YES!!! I can help you out, if you need any! Side panel pants are easy peasy too! I'll go find that forum.

Kay-you've never head of the band phish? They broke up. , but they are my all time favorite band. We used to follow them around the country, funded by sales of my hippie clothes, bags, balms/salves, hemp jewelry, burritos, drinks, etc. Good times. Trey Anastasio is, imo, probably in the top 3-5 of all time guitar "gods". Amazing. true talent. I don't know how I'm gonna get this back on topic.............I've made phish diapers before!!!!! LOL
#16 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 11:36 AM

Well i like to have a mixture.

My DH said the other day when i scored an FM custom slot why do you keep buying diapers just make them for him. He wares pf's 90% of the time.
I laughed and said sure you tell me when i have the time to make them for DS and a few dresses for DD and I will get right on that. LOL
#17 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 11:42 AM

Mine are all mixed up too. I like being able to buy from other WAHM's to support them...so I have a few of my own diapers and lots of other diapers from WAHM's.
#18 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I think I have maybe 5 diapers that arent my own for jack. Not counting prefolds. BUt they are are old and ratty looking now! He did recently get 2 new ones about a month ago(seconds). LOL

Cute pic Jenniebug!

Well, I am imaging this winter when things slow down for me, I will sew for the new baby. I have images of tiny diapers all stacked up, accompanied by cute little gowns. I will sew as the woodstove goes and the snow softly falls... ahhhh. Ya right, like its gonna be like that!!! LOL
#19 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 12:22 PM

Well..... Thats what hubby thinks. LOL

I make diapers daily, about 5-10 a day as I am stocking my store and a few others. LOL BUT Emma only gets the ones that are in bad shape. Like the serger ate it or something. I do sell some of my seconds. If they are MINOR flaws but the train wrecks, NOPE! LOL SO emme gets to wear them, and if emma cant wear them I donate them, or freecycle them.

BUT I also just stated buying diapers again. I went a little crazy last week with hubbys paycheck, ( and by crazy I mean I bought 3 LOL) But emma mostly wers prefolds coverless. ( except for some YUMMY wool I just got from a local MDC mama!!)

I also have a ton of fabric and patterns to make my kids clothes. I was gonna make emma some sun suits and the girls some shirts, but ya know.. who has time for that LOL

Anyway, I see this fabric all the time. I need to mix it up. LOL

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#20 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 12:54 PM

My mom made the strong majority of Bug's newborn stash (48 itty bitty diapers !!)

I've got about 9 that I've made that I'm using now, thankfully. And 2 more upstairs just waiting for snaps.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#21 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 12:55 PM

:LOL Angie you paint a pretty peaceful picture. I wish it really happened that way
#22 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 01:56 PM

OT, but Alton Brown is my favortie too! Great siggy Jenniebug.
Anyway, back on topic...my son's stash is almost entirely made by me. Aside from prefolds, microfiber towels and 3 fitteds made by a friend.
#23 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 02:49 PM

Can I play too? I've sewn 90% of z's stash, but since I'm not a sewing WAHM there's no question of selling any! :LOL I have fairied or traded some though, so that's cool. I think if I was a diaper sewing WAHM I'd end up selling the cute ones too.
#24 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 02:55 PM

My dd only used to get 2nds and testers, but I got fed up using diapers that were not quite up to par. Now I make diapers especially for her. She is worth it, and I love making them for her, and they are extra special .
#25 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 02:59 PM

Angie I'm the same, if it's that cute it gets sold! He does have quite a few momma mades though. I don't have time to sew "extras" these days, and seconds usually get sold or donated. It's fun to have other WAHM diapers in my stash too though, a little variety is a good thing!
#26 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 04:17 PM

Other that CPF's my ds's only wear mama made dipes. I love knowing that I am self sufficient in that way. Now that I will be selling them, I'm sure they'll only get the mess-ups.

Mom to three crazy boys, a roly poly baby boy, and one on the way! stork-boy.gif

#27 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Now how can that possibly be a "weird fit". It is so cute and perfect!
#28 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 07:25 PM

I've made most of Charlotte's stash. At the moment, the only purchased diaper that fits her is a size 0 Kissaluvs that a friend gave me. I do have 1 Fuzzinbunz in each size. Oh, that doesn't count the prefolds.

Other than that, all Charlie's diapers are made by myself. We were planning on doing cloth for my two year old daughter as well, so she's got an entire stash, but refuses to wear them. (I haven't had the energy or time to dedicate to convincing her yet either) So we really have a good stash from NB to toddler size. I just need to finish some mediums when we get to that point, and of course, I'm making a few here and there when I see a cute fabric I just can't resist!

I haven't gotten to the point of selling any diapers yet, though I think it would be a fun way to make some extra money. I just don't know if I could part with the diapers after investing coveted time in them, ya know! Plus, there's just something so satisfying about seeing that little tush wrapped in something you made yourself!

I would LOVE to buy some hyena diapers just for fun, but DH just won't go for it. "Why buy them when you could just make them?" He has a point. :P

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
#29 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybee
My dd only used to get 2nds and testers, but I got fed up using diapers that were not quite up to par. Now I make diapers especially for her. She is worth it, and I love making them for her, and they are extra special .
I am so glad someone finally said that! I heard one time that you should have nothing in your house that you don't love or is not useful. I think these are kind of related.

Of course, that does not reflect my house (we have passed down furniture from every decade in each and every room, and too much other stuff...). And I suppose if I sold diapers, I would also keep the seconds for our use b/c I would not have enough time to keep my reputation clean with perfect dipes AND sew perfect dipes for my own child.
#30 of 38 Old 07-22-2005, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our3boys
Now how can that possibly be a "weird fit". It is so cute and perfect!
Thanks! I made that for her I had never done a turned front snapping diaper before so I am very proud of it :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page