The BEST yarn for Aran sweaters?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2005, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay ladies, I want to find the absolute BEST yarn for Aran sweaters. I asked my mom what she would want if I were to knit her something, and she wants a classic, natural colored, Aran sweater. I asked if it was ok to be dry clean only, or hand wash only, and she said yes. So now I want the softest, nicest yarn for the sweater. I'm thinking that Merino won't hold its shape well enough, but am not sure what will work the best. My mom is hunting for a pattern for the 'perfect' sweater, and I want to get an idea how much the yarn will cost, so I can make her a surprise for Christmas. Hit me with the ideas ladies. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2005, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
haven't used it yet, but I've ordered some Henry's Attic Andee Alpaca -- its a 50/50 blend, I think -- so I think it would hold shape fairly well -- but I really don't know much about yarn yet -- I just do know that alpaca is heavenly soft!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 06:33 AM

My Christmas present from my mum last year was an aran knitted in the masham grey from this place:
http://www.britishwool.com/pure_new_wools.htm#1
I really, really want some of their Welsh black to play with- I love the colour of black sheeps wool.
For softness, I'd look at the blue-faced Leicester- mum did one for Alex a couple of years ago in it (now outgrown, even by his brother). There must be someone over there who breeds them, surely? Failing that, I used a single ball of Rowan's Aran yarn to knit a hat for Isaac's birthday, and that was lovely to work with- it doesn't split the way merino does for me.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:54 AM

the andee alpaca I don't think would work becuase it's too thin (would take you forever and a day) and the alpaca makes it really drapey, so it wouldn't hold the cable definition well.

SchoolHouse Press has some fabulous authentic Aran yarns, and I lvoe the yarns from Blackwater Abbey Yarns
Old 08-16-2005, 10:24 AM

See, I shouldn't have said anything, cuz I'm clueless about yarn... and I really didn't know what an Aran sweater looks like, anyways. :LOL I just saw soft and thought alpaca. ha ha
Old 08-16-2005, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How soft are the yarns from Blackwater Abbey?? I'm loving the colors and have requested a color card. I think I found the right pattern there, too. If mom doesn't like it, then I'll make it for myself!!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:54 PM

i haven't ordered from then in probably oh, 3 years, LOL, but the stuff I have here is pretty soft. Softer than peace fleece and bartlett's, probably not as soft as HPY. Gets softer with repeated washings, as well

User Tag List