What, other than PUL, for pockets? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-22-2005, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to make some pocket diapers and am interested in hearing if there are any options other than PUL or fleece for the outer layer. (I know about procare an won't be doing that...) I would love something thinner, like the 'silky' stuff Pumkins have.

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions!

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#2 of 16 Old 08-22-2005, 10:08 PM

Quote:
like the 'silky' stuff Pumkins have.
What does this mean :LOL

Not really sure there are other options unless you want to go coverless and just make pocket fitteds?

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#3 of 16 Old 08-22-2005, 10:21 PM

I've used dermoflex. I wouldn't suggest it. It soaks through if there's lots of compression (like a long car trip...)

You could try coated nylon like taslan, they make raingear out of it. It's NOT breathable at all.

I have to say, even with shipping my PUL across the border to Canada (thanks Jessica... it came across no problem!) it is WELL worth using proper PUL. I put so much time into perfecting my pattern and sewing my pockets, that I really think it was worth it to get leakproof diaper out of the whole thing. The PUL looks a million times better too.
#4 of 16 Old 08-22-2005, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

I meant Bumkins, not Pumkins.... They, as far as I understand are not pul, but a different, 'silkier' material.

Thanks for suggestions and advice... Keep them coming!

#5 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 01:12 AM

I've heard you can use something like Ultrex or Goretex although I've not tried either. Probably if you want to avoid PUL and fleece you'd also want to avoid those, too?

Laura
Mom to three
#6 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea... hmmmm...

Actually, I am not trying to avoid PUL because it is unnatural, etc. I simply don't like how thick the pockets become with fleece and PUL. I would simply like something less stiff and thick. (Well, some of my PUL is stiff... )

#7 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 01:38 PM

I'm proably going to put my foot in my mouth here. I use nylon. Not coated just plain. You can almost always find it on the dollar table at the big discount store I should never shop at. You can dye it with kool-aid and food coloring. It washes and drys well and is breathable (probably not all kinds, but I know some are). It's also thin. It can be hard to work with. I always double sided tape it (right sides together) or use thinned down water soluable glue to hold my pieces together in the middle. It helps with sewing.
#8 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM

Yeah, if it's just the thin aspect you're looking for, I'd give taslan (which is coated nylon) or nylon a go. Taslan comes is some really bright colours and is definately pretty thin. I'm not sure if you'll have the same trouble with wetting out as I have with the dermoflex diapers I made.

I have found that my dermoflex diapers work pretty well if I get them stuffed well. I made my new inserts out of 3 layers of terry that allow my dermoflex pockets to last as long as my PUL before they wet out.

The dermoflex is a bit bumpy on the coated side, it's tricky to get small inserts into the small diapers since I have to get my hand ALL the way in. Still though, it's definately thinner than PUL. You can get both dermoflex and taslan at wazoodle you can see their sticky in the resource thread (warning: DO NOT buy wazoodle's wierd PUL...) Let us know what you use and how it works out when you're done!
#9 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 03:06 PM

You can make Wool AIO's so I would think you could make a wool pocket...Jessica from diapershop.com sells the Very baby pattern and she has additional instructions for variations at sewdiapers.com. You might want to check there.
#10 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, everyone!

I find this very interesting.. an cannot make up my mind at all.. hah.

Wool AIO's???? How does that work? That sounds like a ton a work... A wool pocket would be the best of both of both worlds for me but I simply don't understand how that would work washing-wise....

Keep talking, please.... :LOL

#11 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

I just read the info about making a wool AIO... Just one comment: Woul not work for my BF 3 times a day pooper...No way... I would spen half the day washing wool. Then again... my machine has a program for wool... Got to think some more...

#12 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 05:47 PM

How about fleece? I made some pockets with Windpro outers and I just LOVE them! Pic
#13 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Oh boy... way too many decisions...

#14 of 16 Old 08-24-2005, 03:19 PM

this is my first post!

it is not the PUL but the fleece that creates the bulk. i use 1 mil PUL with either powerdry or athletic poly mesh, and use a microfiber towel folded in thirds for the soaker. this creates a diaper that is about as trim as a disposable.
#15 of 16 Old 08-24-2005, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Rowena!

Yes, now that I think about it I realize that you are right... Yet, there is something about PUL that I just do not like...

I am confused about power dry. I have read so many messages here saying that it does not work for diapers (to keep the baby dry) and yet some say it does. Any idea why? Does it actually work as well as micro fleece? Can it be washed in hot water?

What size is the microfiber towel you use and where did you buy it? I have been using the Walmart ones for our 5-month-old dd and there is no way I would get away using just one. In fact, I have done this, but it resulted in a very red bottom, although I change frequently.

Even more to think about, it seems... :

#16 of 16 Old 08-24-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anumaria
I am confused about power dry. I have read so many messages here saying that it does not work for diapers (to keep the baby dry) and yet some say it does. Any idea why?
well, it doesn't actually keep my child completely, but it keeps her from sitting in wetness. you can definitely feel when she has wet her diaper.

Quote:
Does it actually work as well as micro fleece? Can it be washed in hot water?
well, i find it works as well as any fleece for us, but that might vary from type of fleece and from child to child. i wash everything on hot water, even wool.

Quote:
What size is the microfiber towel you use and where did you buy it? I have been using the Walmart ones for our 5-month-old dd and there is no way I would get away using just one.
again i think this varies from child to child, i use ones i got at sam's and actually cut them down, they started out 18" square and i cut them down to 12" square. one towel folded into thirds works for us overnight, but i prefer two towels (one folded in half, and another folded into thirds and tucked into the first one).

i put together a very quick review of another system i am using, i was trying to find ways to get the benefit of pockets and still be able to use my non-pocket covers:
http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitcher..._brillian.html
http://rowena.typepad.com/photos/soaker_sleeves/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page