Weaving with children - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-04-2002, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there have experience on good looms/books for weaving with children? I am a knitter (obvious from user name), crocheter and sewer, but no experience at all with weaving. My 26 mo ds is a crafting maniac--he's all over anything I do, and it's kind of a struggle, but fun, too. I think he might get a kick out of weaving.

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 01-05-2002, 01:23 AM

I saw several cool looking weaving/loom kits at :www.hearthsong.com I have loved everything I have gotten from them.
#3 of 6 Old 01-09-2002, 01:04 AM

Well, I'm a weaver, but I don't know what I would recommend for a 26 month old. My 3 1/2 year old is facinated by the process, but doesn't yet have the dexterity to actually do any weaving. I guess my first recommendation would be to do some paper weaving (remember the placemats we made as kids?). Then, look for a good ridged heddle loom (I think Harrisville makes a good one). Other ideas would be a potholder loom or, for an older child, a popsicle stick loom (directions available in the old Junior Girlscout handbook). That's all I can think of right off, but if you have specific questions let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.
#4 of 6 Old 01-09-2002, 04:34 PM

Another idea could be doing some flax weaving. I've got a really good book with projects in for kids & more complicated stuff. Problem is the flax we use is a native New Zealand plant. If you have something similar there, it could be quite good since you can get your child to help with going out to find it, with the picking & the preparation as well.
#5 of 6 Old 02-01-2002, 09:22 PM

Hi! My Mom is a weaving guru! You can make a peg board and weave yarn onto that to make pot holders or squares for scarf, vest, blanket, etc. Or make/buy an apache loom to weave small blankets and wall hangings etc. Really really simple, you can tie fabric strips to the back of a cane chair and then weave in other rag strips for a cool rag rug. And another nice idea is to make tiny 1" to 3" sqares with yard or fabric strips and glue them onto cards for thank yous etc.

I dont know about books, but there are a couple of magazines that have beginner projects that could probably be modified for a toddler/preschooler too. Weavers is the only one that comes to mind, but I know there are others.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

~Sandie

ps. My mom's website is http://www.weaveit.com -- Just to brag. I dont think there is anything a toddler or preschooler would find interesting about her pattern software... But maybe for inspiration?
#6 of 6 Old 02-13-2002, 12:48 AM

Finger knitting may be a good way to start. It's not weaving, but it is working with fibers. You make a slip not in the end of a skien of yarn. Then put your finger & thumb through the loop, pick up a piece of yarn (the one leading from the skien) and pull it through the loop. Then repeat the process with the next loop. You can pull the working end of the yarn to tighten up the chain. This looks like a crochet chain. After you have a length you can then repeat the process so that your chain is double finger knitted. Or you can use it as it is. This makes good mitten strings or ties for gifts. My ds enjoys doing this, but never for very long and he requires a lot of prompting & guidance. Hope this helps!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page