regular prefolds into VB AIO's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-12-2005, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this but I'm proud of my new trick and wanted to share......

I've fallen in love with the VB AIO pattern and regretted the bunch of unbleached chinese prefolds that I'd purchased, so instead of spending more money on birdseye or flannel to make VB's, I just cut up the prefold and use it. I don't bother sewing an additional middle absorbant layer and it seems to be working marvelously. It's so easy! All I need is the PUL, elastic and Aplix and I can bump one out in 15 minutes! The prefolds were $1.75 each, so assuming I'm paying $3.00 a yard for birdseye, and the pattern calls for about a yard per diaper, I also feel reletively thrifty.

I'll try to post pictures when I get my next order of PUL in the mail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 09-12-2005, 04:29 PM

I love doing this, mainly because I'm really lazy and HATE to cut and sew soaker layers together. Did you use preshrunk or unwashed pf? I've done both and I like the way the unwashed ones shrunk up post sewing better than the preshrunk ones.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#3 of 25 Old 09-12-2005, 04:51 PM

this is a great idea! do u have a hard time sewing the elastic to the leg part thru all those layers on the prefold though?

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#4 of 25 Old 09-12-2005, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU
mainly because I'm really lazy and HATE to cut and sew soaker layers together.

Exactly!!

I've been using the pf's that I have, so they are of course washed (I've been using them for their intended purpose for weeks )

I haven't had a problem sewing in the elastic so far.

I just love doing this-I'm going to turn all my Pf's into AIO's!
#5 of 25 Old 09-12-2005, 05:36 PM

THat's awesome. I would have neer thought of this! Hmm, maybe that's what i should do for the medium pocket PUL I have cut out . . . (pondering)

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
#6 of 25 Old 09-12-2005, 05:50 PM

I have the darling diaper pattern. Do you think I could make an AIO from PFs with fleece on the outside for the water resistance?
#7 of 25 Old 09-12-2005, 06:03 PM

I've done it and it works fine for us. I love fleece AIOs! I don't know if you've alreadly made PUL pockets w/ the DD Pocket pattern but you have to add a little bit to the leg area on the outer piece to make sure the legs roll-in.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#8 of 25 Old 09-12-2005, 11:33 PM

Why hadn't I thought of this! Would definetly make things easier. Plus you can buy gerber prefolds, the good ones, for about a dollar a piece.
#9 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 09:02 AM

Here is a sew-a-long At Amitymamas for anyone who wants pictures. You might have to register to view.

Prefold to AIO Sew-a-Long

Are prefold AIOs really absorbant? Jack usually needs the wet zone doubled to keep from peeing through prefolds. It has held me back from trying these.
#10 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

my little one is a pee machine and I first thought I'd need a doubler, but so far haven't. I think that having the entire layerthicker makes up for having the center layer a bit thinner. That said, these probably wouldn't be my first choice for night time or long car trips.

thanks for the link kari_mom, now I don't have to bother with pics!

I just made a fleece and pf aio the other night and it turned out great! i agree with the adding a little to the leg area-even with the VB pattern.
#11 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
Are prefold AIOs really absorbant?
They've worked great for us for daytime as they are but I'll add a doubler for naps (I use wool and fitteds at night.) All the ones I've made so far are mediums (DD pattern) w/ a premium pf (4x8x4). There is usually enough left over from the width of the diaper that you can serge or zig-zag the edge and use that as a doubler or an attached soaker pad kind of like a Prorap (proservices) AIO Their AIO is actually where I got the idea to try it. Didn't like their version, but mine's working great for me.

ETA: In the picture it looks like its a really thin, non-prefoldish dipe, but that's b/c it hasn't been pre-washed.

#12 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 12:13 PM

so do u all think an infant size prefold would be enough for the nb/xs very baby aio? i havent put it together yet but i cut out the prefoldand all that's left is the middle layer, the sides are completely gone

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#13 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 02:57 PM

Kari mom thanks for that link. It makes it look so easy.
#14 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 03:02 PM

Where do I get a pattern for the VB AIOs?
#15 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 04:47 PM

You can buy the VB AIO pattern here:One Stop Diaper Shop

What an awesome idea! Thank you so much for sharing this! I've been wanting to make a bunch of AIOs for the new baby but have been putting it off. This looks so simple and easy, I can't wait to try it.
#16 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 07:22 PM

So if I do a fleece pocket, do I sew the elastic on the fleece? Would that work? I want the fleece to roll in. BTW, great link!

I saw some baby blankets at Walmart called "Mink" but I think they are the minkee fabric that Jamtots is selling in diapers. It is polyester and soooo soft. I was thinking that it would make perfect AIO covers.
#17 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Banned

That is so cool! If you want to take pictures of how you do it I'll add them to the sewdiapers.com site
#18 of 25 Old 09-14-2005, 01:39 AM

this sounds so great!
One thought (I don't know if it has been suggested yet but) - would it not be to our advantage to use new, unwashed (and therefore unshrunk) prefolds when sewing the AIO? In theory, it would probably be easier to sew (fabric is "flatter" - not pillowy like it becomes after it has been initially washed a few times) AND it would shrink in the wash after sewing, therefore forcing the outer fabric (PUL or fleece) to fold in. This turning in would help prevent wicking, no?
Just a thought!

Laura
#19 of 25 Old 09-14-2005, 08:27 AM

I've only used an unshrunk pf for an AIO bound w/ FOE, and once it was washed it made it nice and fluffy and the perfect fit. Before I washed I thought I had wasted the PF and the PUL because it seemed so flat and thin, and it had almost no shape/gathering.

I have a PF that's only been washed once so tonight I'll try making it the T&T way, wash it up and let ya'll Know how it works.

#20 of 25 Old 09-14-2005, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere
so do u all think an infant size prefold would be enough for the nb/xs very baby aio? i havent put it together yet but i cut out the prefoldand all that's left is the middle layer, the sides are completely gone

I'm not sure about this, I'm making the VB medium and using a regular size prefold. One thing that I have to do is use a piece of the material that I cut from the sides (the leg curve area) and zigzag sew it to the area that will be the back flaps. Does this make sense? They aren't quite as long as the VB pattern, but it doesn't really matter much. I could avoid this problem by using a larger PF, but that would defeat the purpose of re-using all the PF's that I already have.
#21 of 25 Old 09-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marasmum
this sounds so great!
One thought (I don't know if it has been suggested yet but) - would it not be to our advantage to use new, unwashed (and therefore unshrunk) prefolds when sewing the AIO? In theory, it would probably be easier to sew (fabric is "flatter" - not pillowy like it becomes after it has been initially washed a few times) AND it would shrink in the wash after sewing, therefore forcing the outer fabric (PUL or fleece) to fold in. This turning in would help prevent wicking, no?
Just a thought!

Laura

I don't know how it would work with prefolds, but we experimented with sewing the birdseye in not preshrinking it first to see if it would help the legs roll in - it did but cotton shrinks both ways so we lost an inch out of the rise too. Maybe if you cut the prefold a little longer in the rise to allow for shrinkage but cut it regular through the legs it would shrink up properly and you could avoid the decrease in the rise.
#22 of 25 Old 09-17-2005, 10:37 PM

I did this today!! Yay!

[These links have been removed to protect my ds. PM me if you want to see the pics.]

The very first diaper I actually finished.
There are some issues with it:
-leg elastic not snug against the leg - snap placement issue?
-CPF not rolled in enough, so wicking will be a problem - should I cut the CPF a bit smaller than the MM so the fleece rolls in more?
-snaps not placed well, the leg and hip don't adjust independently enough, have to practice this.

I have some wool longies to show off, too, but I'll put them in that topic.

-Lindsay
#23 of 25 Old 09-17-2005, 10:54 PM

anyone else having trouble topstitching thru the thick part of the prefold? i've made 3 so far (i'll post pics when i can) and they are pretty good except i do *not* like how the back looks after doing the elastic and topstitching and the front is not coming out as neat as it could due to the prefold being so thick in the front
(i'm making xs/nb size fwiw)

#24 of 25 Old 09-18-2005, 04:27 PM

I'm not having any trouble with that. Maybe it's your tension? Only thing I can think of.
#25 of 25 Old 09-19-2005, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere
anyone else having trouble topstitching thru the thick part of the prefold? i've made 3 so far (i'll post pics when i can) and they are pretty good except i do *not* like how the back looks after doing the elastic and topstitching and the front is not coming out as neat as it could due to the prefold being so thick in the front
(i'm making xs/nb size fwiw)
I've had this happen to me. You can seperate the outer two layers on both sides of the soaker and trim it a little. For the front (I t&t mine) I'm going to try just zig-zagging the raw edge (no serger) then folding the PUL outer over the top. THat way I wan't be trying to sew through 16 layers of pf and two layers of PUL when I close it!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page