what to do with empty baby food jars? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-12-2005, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What cna I do with empty baby food jars? I have some that are stage 2 and others that are stage 3. I dont want to throw them out becuase i'm sure i can do SOMETHING with them.... any ideas?

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#2 of 17 Old 09-12-2005, 06:05 PM

#3 of 17 Old 09-12-2005, 10:53 PM

A lady I used to work with would make a really neat holiday decoration out of them. She would stack them(tops to the side) using probably hot glue to keep them together. She would then light it up with lights and some of them she would decorate with garland etc.

Just a thought.

They're also good for storing loose herbs, spices, nuts, bolts, nails etc.

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#4 of 17 Old 09-12-2005, 11:28 PM

You can also make snowglobes out of them. Just glue a figure to the inside of the lid, fill the jar with water and glitter, then glue the lid and screw it on. Then add some ribbon around the bottom to disguise the lid. It's a fun kid project.

You could also use them to gift flavored butters or something like that in.

A happy woman
#5 of 17 Old 09-13-2005, 12:30 AM

To expand on the storage theme - I saw a project a while ago (have not tried it) where you use a screw to fasten the metal jar tops to the underside of a shelf or cupboard so they are fixed in place (inside of the lid facing down), then you can turn the jar to connect it to the lid (so it's hanging from the shelf). Use it to store any litte things, or for decorative things like buttons sorted by color, etc.
#6 of 17 Old 09-13-2005, 10:06 AM

I have so far used them for:

*Some of my whole spices (I placed all the bottles in a large cake pan for easy access).

*For my kids tempera paints (we just place the amount we need for that week in the little bottles and thin it down as much as needed).
#7 of 17 Old 09-13-2005, 11:23 PM

I took a bunch of them and painted them and then put tea lights in them so it would shine thru. They were soo cute. You have to watch the paint though and make sure it is even. When you light it, it will show everything. Glass paint or stained glass paints would work best.

Another idea I had seen was decoupage (sp?) the out side and then attach them to a sting of lights and hang them.

I like the herb idea, you could take fresh dried herbs or make mixtures for rubs and such to put in them.
#8 of 17 Old 09-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Banned

String them with wire and put candles inside - or make candles out of loose wax beads/gel - and string them outside for evening parties.

Snowglobes

Handpainted Xmas Tree Ornaments

Little pot filled with potpourri
#9 of 17 Old 09-16-2005, 04:14 PM

I would use them to store the home made baby food I occasionaly made and stick them in the freezer.

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#10 of 17 Old 09-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Start seeds in them. Kids rock collections. Store barrettes and hair ties.
#11 of 17 Old 09-16-2005, 04:24 PM

I've made snowglobes - and I have some tips.

Use an epoxy-based glue, otherwise the figures you glue inside will not stay stationery for long. Hot glue guns don't work for this project!!!!! Glue the figures to the lid, not the glass. Don't choose figures that are too tiny, or you won't see them above the rim of the jar lid.

Use clear or iridescent glitter in the water, and not too much! A good pinch or two is enough.

Add a teaspoon of glycerin to the water - it'll keep the glitter floating longer when you shake the globe.

Glue the lid on with epoxy-based glue.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#12 of 17 Old 09-16-2005, 04:33 PM

In the past I have used them for spices; a coin jar (kept one in kitchen; bedrooms; by front door; etc) basically storage.

If you just want rid of them, contact an elementary school in your neighbourhood. I bet some teacher could get use out of them. Our schools kindergarten teacher uses them to put jam in that the kids make for mothers day.
#13 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 01:54 PM

I used some for gifting homemade spice mixes. I decoupaged part of the jar (to keep light out and the mixes fresh longer) with all kinds of pretty tissue papers, leaving a spot where I could write the contents with a glass pen. The jars are then filled and capped with the lid that I covered with a bit of fabric. They look very sweet.
#14 of 17 Old 09-19-2005, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
squares of red an green tissue paper (about 1" sq) an weak mixture of school glue and water. paste the squares on overlapping covering the jar. roll in the fancy sugar crystals (the big flat ones) or glitter. put a tea light inside.

Sand art.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#15 of 17 Old 09-19-2005, 01:01 AM

I had my students color and scent epsom salts then layer them in the jars, cover the lid with cute tissue or fabric and...viola! Bath salts for mother's day!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#16 of 17 Old 09-30-2005, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABand3
you use a screw to fasten the metal jar tops to the underside of a shelf or cupboard so they are fixed in place (inside of the lid facing down), .....etc.
I've done this in my garage and art room. Always a good idea

I also have made cute little animals out of cotton balls, pipe cleaners and other various craft objects and glued them to the tops of the jars, then used the jars as paper-clip holders or safety pin holders or tack holders, or anything around the office holders, etc.... and I would give them to my mom or aunts or whatever. You could glue anything to the top actually and it would look nice (dried flowers, a broach that broke, seashells, etc.) I also have used them to decorate other people's baby showers by making cotton ball babies the same way as the animals and putting candy or chocolate in them and then handing them out as parting gifts.... yeah there are lots to do with jars!

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#17 of 17 Old 10-12-2005, 03:14 PM

Great ideas :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page