making fitteds from prefolds? - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > making fitteds from prefolds?
littlehawksmom's Avatar littlehawksmom 08:20 PM 09-13-2005
Is there a pattern to turn a prefold into a ftted, with velcro or snaps?

Sophiasmomma's Avatar Sophiasmomma 10:17 PM 09-13-2005
Do you mean prefitteds?? If so then heres a link

http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold_to_fitted.htm

then you can either leave the top open and put hidden snaps on or you can finish it up and then add velcro
littlehawksmom's Avatar littlehawksmom 11:01 PM 09-13-2005
thank you. that's exactly what I needed. unfortunately, i don't have a serger, but as would also like to make some wipes and mama pads, maybe i could have it all done for me somehow...
Jes'sBeth's Avatar Jes'sBeth 02:32 AM 09-14-2005
You can get your prefolds turned into prefitteds at Grow Me a Rainbow and perhaps other places... I've never done this but had considered it so I have no experience with GMAR, I just know that she will do the conversion for you.

HTH!
perditafoster's Avatar perditafoster 06:01 PM 09-14-2005
Just wanted to say that this pattern is great, even if you don't have a serger. I do everything up until the serging step, including putting in leg elastic, then I zig zag the edges of the diaper, then I bind the whole shebang with fold-over-elastic. Don't try to make the FOE the leg elastic, because it's not strong/stretchy enough...You could probably use a thin strip of fleece to bind the diaper as well. Anybody try that?
rowena___.'s Avatar rowena___. 07:46 PM 09-14-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by perditafoster
Don't try to make the FOE the leg elastic, because it's not strong/stretchy enough...
i disagree, if you use diaper FOE it works just fine, i have done it dozens of times:

http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitcher...s_quick_a.html
(click on pictures to see enlargements)

Quote:
You could probably use a thin strip of fleece to bind the diaper as well. Anybody try that?
yes, i hated that. the fleece works just fine but it is a pain to apply, i ended up doing it the dressmaker method because it was such a PITA. and then i didn't even like the way it looked or performed.
LeosMama's Avatar LeosMama 07:54 PM 09-14-2005
Rowena,
Your fitted cpf looks great! I can't wait to try that! But I'm not sure how you did the wings. There isn't enough prefold for that, is there? do you stitch the scraps on as wings?
-Lindsay
rowena___.'s Avatar rowena___. 01:39 AM 09-15-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeosMama
Rowena,
Your fitted cpf looks great! I can't wait to try that! But I'm not sure how you did the wings. There isn't enough prefold for that, is there? do you stitch the scraps on as wings?
-Lindsay
thanx lindsay! you are correct, if you go to the link in my post, you will see how the wings are extended by using a piece of the cuttings. the rest of the cuttings can be used to make a doubler or mama pad.
morlando27's Avatar morlando27 12:49 PM 09-15-2005
Rowena, do you have tips for using FOE on prefolds? I started converting my ds's and gave up after 2 attempts because I often wasn't catching the FOE on the underside, particularly through areas where I was attempting to stretch it. I think one of my problems is that even my widest zig-zag setting isn't very wide. The FOE didn't have much recovery either. I like the 2 prefitteds I made, but they were such a pitb, I can't bring myself to sew the other 10 prefolds I bought just for this purpose. So, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I used 1" FOE(the kind Catherine raves about on the sewyourowndiapers group). Do they make it wider?
rowena___.'s Avatar rowena___. 02:29 PM 09-16-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by morlando27
Rowena, do you have tips for using FOE on prefolds? I started converting my ds's and gave up after 2 attempts because I often wasn't catching the FOE on the underside, particularly through areas where I was attempting to stretch it. I think one of my problems is that even my widest zig-zag setting isn't very wide. The FOE didn't have much recovery either. I like the 2 prefitteds I made, but they were such a pitb, I can't bring myself to sew the other 10 prefolds I bought just for this purpose. So, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
i have been sewing for 38 years, so i've had a lot of practice. my machine zz stitch is not that wide either (i sew on a singer 401A, made in 1957).

Quote:
I used 1" FOE(the kind Catherine raves about on the sewyourowndiapers group). Do they make it wider?
i've never seen FOE wider than 1" but that's not to say they don't make it. catharine and i use the same FOE--in fact, we both get it from sherrie at sewingsupplycoop (yahoo), we buy it by the bolt/roll. are you sure you're using the same kind--there are two kinds of FOE--one is shiny and mostly decorative, the other is plush and very elastic. in fact, i have to be careful not to stretch it too much or it will be too tight.

i wish i were more help--mainly i think going slow does the trick.
morlando27's Avatar morlando27 10:32 AM 09-19-2005
Rowena, I bought a 100yd roll of the plush FOE from sewingsupplycoop. It worked well for covers/pockets, but I had one heck of a time trying to use it on the prefold. Instead of struggling to bind them in FOE, I think I might just sew a layer of suedcloth to the cut prefold and use internal elastic. Thanks for your help!
m&m mom's Avatar m&m mom 12:45 PM 09-27-2005
I'm curious...

I'm a very novice sewer, so forgive me if this question seems dumb!

Could you do the inner elastic and then just zig-zig the entire edge if you don't have a serger? This is what I was thinking about doing. I'm not using the exact pattern mentioned above, but fairly close to it.

Also, what size prefold would you use to make a newborn and a "small" diaper?

Thanks!
rowena___.'s Avatar rowena___. 08:38 PM 09-27-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m mom
I'm curious...

I'm a very novice sewer, so forgive me if this question seems dumb!
no question is dumb--and we all started out knowing nothing so don't worry about it.

Quote:
Could you do the inner elastic and then just zig-zig the entire edge if you don't have a serger?
ABSOLUTELY!!! this is exactly how people did things before there were sergers for home use.

Quote:
Also, what size prefold would you use to make a newborn and a "small" diaper?
newborn or small.
m&m mom's Avatar m&m mom 11:52 AM 09-28-2005
Thank You Rowena! I'm feeling more confident about this every day!
Up